friction cord / line recommendations for 135 lb. climber, SRT?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ob1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Time for new climb line and prusik, will finally be trying SRT with hitchhiker. Been too long since I handled different friction cords, I just remember Bee line was too stiff for my liking (DRT), and I wonder if has to do with being a 135lb featherweight (w/out gear). Any recommendations here for my weight on HH2 setup?
Thanks

Tie some fishing weights to your legs so you don't blow away? Ahahaha.

Shoot my dog weighs about that.

I don't have much experience with srt of any form, so I'm not sure if this helps. As the size of your friction chord approches the same size as your climb line, the hitch you tie will be less grabby. I switched from a 8 mm chord to the 10 mm donophy's armor prus chord and haven't looked back. I've never had the knot lock up and it is very smooth.

I started out with the samson safety blue, 12 strand 1/2 in. I just got the 11.5 mm tachyon ash from tree stuff and christened it this morning in a maple (sounds kinda dirty). The armor prus was even more smooth on this new rope...loved it.

I started out with the samson safety blue, 12 strand 1/2 in. I just got the 11.5 mm tachyon ash from tree stuff and christened it this morning in a maple (sounds kinda dirty). The armor prus was even more smooth on this new rope...loved it.
Glad to hear your experience with armor prus, sounds like good stuff!

After using Yale 11.7 for years I actually don’t like it. I switched to the Samson voyager and it works perfectly with beeline and ok with epicord. It’s size is a nice blend between Yale and a 1/2 inch line and not so fat like vortex. When I climbed on Bigfoot rope I recall using beeline and hrc was good too. If u search google there are dedicated hitch hiker threads on other forums where guys have posted all their favorite combos of rope and hitch cord.

If you haven’t already got geared up, check out Wesspur-and even give them a call. People there have always been very helpful and knowledgable about the gear they carry and its use. They will help match up climbing rope and hitch rope for your climbing needs. I believe I saw they offer a prusik line “variety pack” and would recommend it. A lot of it is personal preference and depends on the hitch you favor( standard prusik, klemheist etc), sewn eyes v. Spliced eyes, endless loop-the list is long.

Hope this helps.

I like Vortex. I'm quite a bit heavier than Ob1 so I like a fatter line. It's easier on my hands. I also have an older piece of Lava Surge 11.5. I also have a HHX.

HRC works great on both lines. I think it only comes in 8mm. Only thing I don't like about HRC is it's basically fireproof and you can't really melt the ends. Taping the ends works for a little bit but after tying and untying the knot a few times the tape pulls off. I still find myself going back to the newer blue colored Bee Line. It's more flexible than the older black and gold colored cord. I like 8 mm on the 11.5 Lava Surge and 10mm on the Vortex.

I like Vortex. I'm quite a bit heavier than Ob1 so I like a fatter line. It's easier on my hands. I also have an older piece of Lava Surge 11.5. I also have a HHX.

HRC works great on both lines. I think it only comes in 8mm. Only thing I don't like about HRC is it's basically fireproof and you can't really melt the ends. Taping the ends works for a little bit but after tying and untying the knot a few times the tape pulls off. I still find myself going back to the newer blue colored Bee Line. It's more flexible than the older black and gold colored cord. I like 8 mm on the 11.5 Lava Surge and 10mm on the Vortex.
Two words shrink tube and i double do er.

Back