Friction devices aloft

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, and on the ground you have other slings, like rated endless slings, whoopie slings, tow straps, wire rope slings. Things to make lifting or manipulating a load to your advantage.

One of my favorite reference books is a freebie by American Wire Rope and Sling titled RIGGERS HANDBOOK. This is more for the rigging industry and is quite technical in nature, though nothing specific to trees. Just rigging from the industrial standpoint, in its purity.

For rigging tree parts, man, the world's reference on that would be Spidey's site. Whadda ya say to THAT, Mr. Freakin-lutely?

Thanks guys; to me it seems like it has out groan it's indexing; yet hopefully still in it's infancy; with all the stuff i can still steal from y'all!:popcorn:

As we go to our reach the start of our 3rd year with the pro-ject; hopefully will see more articles, links and animations at MTL

I try to imagine in 10 years what we will have all accumliated. More knowledge about trees, rigging, etc. and it will not stop we will continue to learn and teach.

I will be taking pics of a future job this week. A bad leaner and some small pines. A few of the tree I cant hardly ID and wont to start a thread on thier ID and then get some response and then print it out for the customer.

Id like to have 20 replies for the customer to read about their trees.
Imm gonna try it and see how it works. I think 20 treefolks talking about and viewing my clients trees will be very helpful to both the client and the C.A.
Anyway, I know you folks feel very blessed to have a job that you enjoy and can never learn it all. You folks been posting here so long that it proves to me you learn a little something and then apply it in the field.
This is the greatest tree site .......

I've been doing more work with the Black Widow. Its some small line I ran it thru a fig. 8 and hardly got any friction at all with it. How can it be so strong yet so smalll, its the mighty mouse of rigging lines. I like it but it fits only limited application in the field.
I may shorten it from 180 feet down to 100 and use it static line with loop runners as described in this thread but i'll have to use two friction devices with it.8 on the tree and Munter on my saddle? Whatcha think?

Last edited:
Here are the pics at the end of a day with no chipper.

The bad leader with corrupted root ball spung back 8 feet when I cut the larger of the two tops.

We thought the backyard was bad but heres the fron pine all wearing against a service drop. The electrical wire was exposed quite bad as the weatherprooffing had been rubbed off from the wind. I slung out/redirected three branches with 5 biners. I let alot of tree hang and then work it as if out a bucket.. Heres whats Left.

Back