Friday night wood ID thread..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's Ironwood, leaves are similar to American Elm and Yellow Birch. Probably the hardest thing in the woods next to a rock, at least here in the upper Midwest. Very high on the Btu scale; the old timers say not to burn it straight or it will eventually burn out the stove. I never pass one up if it's dead or dying, they don't get very big but makes for excellent firewood; harvested a lot of them in 40+ years of cutting firewood; ironically, the largest one I've ever seen happens to be in the woods just behind our house, a knarly 9 incher.

Yep American Hophornbeam/Ironwood. It’s some really dense stuff. Too bad I rarely see them much bigger than that.

I'd go with Ironwood too. Generally it doesn't get real big. A few years ago the owner of a local game farm hired me to do some TSI work. (timber stand improvement) Worked out a deal and was paid in pheasants. The forester marked the trees to cut and these two Ironwood were the biggest in the County according to the forester.

a479cy.jpg

2461if4.jpg

2ue05f5.jpg

I'd go with Ironwood too. Generally it doesn't get real big. A few years ago the owner of a local game farm hired me to do some TSI work. (timber stand improvement) Worked out a deal and was paid in pheasants. The forester marked the trees to cut and these two Ironwood were the biggest in the County according to the forester.

a479cy.jpg

2461if4.jpg

2ue05f5.jpg
It surprises me that they would direct these trees to be cut down in the name of TSI considering they are such large specimens for their species.

3rd for hop hornbeam or iron wood if you prefer.Great fire wood.I'm always surprised at the weight of it relative to the size of the stick you pick up.
A couple of things to add:When stacking,keep off the ground as it rots rather quickly when in contact with the ground. Hophornbeam/ironwood was also known as hardak in the northeast by old timers.Some wood cutters still call it that.

It surprises me that they would direct these trees to be cut down in the name of TSI considering they are such large specimens for their species.

The area in question was probably pastured at one time. Row crops were planted on the tillable areas and the rest grew up into woods. The problem is invasive species such as box elder, elm and ironwood took over. The goal is re-introduce the oak savannahs that cover a good chunk of the woods around here. The Ironwood had to go. Those trees aren't super big in my book, but big for Ironwood.

Here is a big one I cut. (This was a very heavy leaner)

5z4d3n.jpg

2dv4djs.jpg

I wouldn't cut this widowmaker:

2h8a4gl.jpg

Latest posts

Back