From free to making money??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get your insurance first. You will break something. We all have.We play with sharp toys. You will cut yourself. Best of luck and be safe.

Im going to have insurance as soon as possible, im doing the free work removing a stump and a 15 foot trunk on the ground for someone deployed, and then I'm taking down a walnut tree for a friend in town in exchange for a near new harness, will learn a couple things, but i will have enough for insurance here soon.

Damon John on "Shark Tank" tonight:
"Life is a cruel teacher. She likes to give you the test first and the lesson later."

No matter what....

I'm not James the narcoleptic tree cutter , in now way am i narcoleptic, and in no way am i going to climb without a harness, rope, and fall arrestor, helmet, safety glasses, steel toe boots, am i missing something? Oh, and my clean pair of shorts in the glove box incase i shiat myself during the learning curve

I just want to say thanks to everyone

Thanks guys, for being brutally honest with me. I'm not giving up, but im going to make sure i have all safety equipment before I got up a tree, fall arrestor, the works. I was just going to harness with a rope for backup, but nope, im making sure i got the fall arrestor first. No harbor freight cheap stuff either. I know some were laughing at me, but i dont care. Hate all you want. I'm gonna make a great tree guy, and have referrals as the majority of my business. Thanks to those who let me know the real deal about insurance also, i gotta keep saving more money than i am now aside for this. I'm not giving up, but im saving balls to the wall for it, or harness to the crotch cup, however you want to call it in your tree lingo.

You should remember that tree cutting can take years to master. The same goes for climbing (ddrt, drt, srt). Then how long will it take to learn the rigging (speed line, negative blocking, positive blocking)

I do recreational tree climbing.:crazy1: That means 99.9% of the time I'm in a tree my saw isn't. I would highly recommend taking a recreational tree climbing class in your area. It should be about $300 and take 2 days. You say your going to get a "fall arrestor" I have no idea what that is. I would recommend you start out with drt. This is all you need to get you up and down safely.
1. Rope
2. Saddle
3. Flip line
4. Helmet
5. Tree Climber’s Companion
You can tie a prusik in your climbing line then to your saddle. No need for anything extra when staring out.

One other thing. I would not advocate purchasing 2nd hand ppe. It's like the guy who buys a $20 motorcycle helmet we as he's got a $20 head.

It's your would Dude be safe.

It really sounds like you have a dollar and a dream and not much more. And there's nothing wrong with that, that's a good thing. But you're dream is not starting a snow cone business or something, you want to do tree work. You could purchase all the equipment in the world, have $1,000,000 worth of insurance, and you still wouldn't be a treeman. You cant learn arboriculture from a forum. I know people on here may disagree, but I recommend trying to get on with the "Big Orange" or equivalent. Every utility needs line clearance and they are always hiring, you travel all over and as long as the trees are growing, you got a job. Good luck.

It really sounds like you have a dollar and a dream and not much more. And there's nothing wrong with that, that's a good thing. But you're dream is not starting a snow cone business or something, you want to do tree work. You could purchase all the equipment in the world, have $1,000,000 worth of insurance, and you still wouldn't be a treeman. You cant learn arboriculture from a forum. I know people on here may disagree, but I recommend trying to get on with the "Big Orange" or equivalent. Every utility needs line clearance and they are always hiring, you travel all over and as long as the trees are growing, you got a job. Good luck.

I started dragging brush at Asplundh and became a climber there.

Have you got Jeff Jepson's 'Tree Climber's Companion' yet? Best $15-20 bucks you'll spend at this stage.

Fall arrestors are not used in rope access tree work, we do what's called work positioning and keep the rope tight (or nearly) at all times. Any fall should ONLY be a short drop 1' into your climbing system, or a pendulum swing...anything more and you are not doing it right...and you might not ever again!

One tip: TITS! Tie In Twice Stupid...so when making a cut ALWAYS (at this stage of your learning curve) have two tie in points.

When climbing, ALWAYS put weight in a newly attached system BEFORE undoing the first one...used when bypassing branches and such.

Know when to know that you don't know enough...and go and learn some more.

Im not completely new to working around trees, I have been felling trees for awhile. Most work has been with trees that needed cleared near pastures (hedge and locust because the thorns aren't good near horses). Yes, one person said "Hes already calling himself a tree service" well, I have been clearing trees for free for months now, when I knew I could be making money removing these trees from peoples yards and pastures here in KS. Why pass up the money if I'm already cutting the wood for my home? Thats why I asked the question everyone. I just don't have an official name yet, so I used that username.

I have a chance to get some used spikes for $40 from a guy who recently retired from climbing. I don't know the brand, but someone else is willing to sell a complete set of rigging gear to me for $200. I thought about getting a pole saw today and see if that can tackle those limbs. I have climbed trees without spikes and rope to cut dead limbs for firewood, but I'm trying to go safe. I appreciate the positive feedback from those who gave it. I'm not giving up, my personal dream is to own a business. I'm not a kid, I'm 31 now. I'm a veteran, so I do qualify for some small business assistance most don't. Thanks everyone, haters included.
Well as a veteran of tree work I can tell you that your better off hiring a contract climber for a couple years to learn from. If your a knot head that thinks anyone can do this work then we likely will be putting you in the fatalities section soon! Remember spurring a trim is malpractice and can make your family suffer through a lawsuit and leaving your family by your untimely demise is worse.

" Remember spurring a trim is malpractice and can make your family suffer through a lawsuit and leaving your family by your untimely demise is worse.

I completely agree it is malpractice but have never heard of a homeowner taking a contractor to litigation over it.

You should remember that tree cutting can take years to master. The same goes for climbing (ddrt, drt, srt). Then how long will it take to learn the rigging (speed line, negative blocking, positive blocking)

I do recreational tree climbing.:crazy1: That means 99.9% of the time I'm in a tree my saw isn't. I would highly recommend taking a recreational tree climbing class in your area. It should be about $300 and take 2 days. You say your going to get a "fall arrestor" I have no idea what that is. I would recommend you start out with drt. This is all you need to get you up and down safely.
1. Rope
2. Saddle
3. Flip line
4. Helmet
5. Tree Climber’s Companion
You can tie a prusik in your climbing line then to your saddle. No need for anything extra when staring out.

One other thing. I would not advocate purchasing 2nd hand ppe. It's like the guy who buys a $20 motorcycle helmet we as he's got a $20 head.

It's your would Dude be safe.

Thanks, im going to take a class, i have given up on the spikes idea for now, just going to climb full time no spikes. Getting the tree climbing companion here in the next couple weeks. I"m not getting anything 2nd hand, just a harness from a close friend who only used it once. I know its almost new, and hasn't been up a tree for more than a couple hours. THanks!

not using spikes

I completely agree it is malpractice but have never heard of a homeowner taking a contractor to litigation over it.

Im not using spikes for anything, i have since given up on that idea. I'm not going to harm any trees in the money making proces. Im learning all i can spending 12 hrs a day reading and learning. Thanks

Will be hiring a contract climber

Well as a veteran of tree work I can tell you that your better off hiring a contract climber for a couple years to learn from. If your a knot head that thinks anyone can do this work then we likely will be putting you in the fatalities section soon! Remember spurring a trim is malpractice and can make your family suffer through a lawsuit and leaving your family by your untimely demise is worse.

as soon as i can afford one, im doing this with very little in my pocket, so im basically competing with everyone around here with not even half the equipment they have. It may take me longer to get going, but I'm gonna do this. Im ordering all new ropes, helmet, face shield, and other PPE, just dont have the cash to hire a climber right now but when i can I'm going to. That way i can pay him to teach me tons, but i just have to take things slow for now. No fatality here yet, im making sure any potential fall is stopped with an arrestor before i go up. THanks for your reply

Have you got Jeff Jepson's 'Tree Climber's Companion' yet? Best $15-20 bucks you'll spend at this stage.

Fall arrestors are not used in rope access tree work, we do what's called work positioning and keep the rope tight (or nearly) at all times. Any fall should ONLY be a short drop 1' into your climbing system, or a pendulum swing...anything more and you are not doing it right...and you might not ever again!

One tip: TITS! Tie In Twice Stupid...so when making a cut ALWAYS (at this stage of your learning curve) have two tie in points.

When climbing, ALWAYS put weight in a newly attached system BEFORE undoing the first one...used when bypassing branches and such.

Know when to know that you don't know enough...and go and learn some more.

Ordering the Tree Climbers Companion here very soon, and will remember to tie of and be fully in the secondary system before i undo the first one. I dont know hardly anything, so thank you for your reply. Im learning everyday to help get this going, each day opens a new door to knowledge i have no idea of so im slowing down even further to have a better understanding. Thank you!

Im not using spikes for anything, i have since given up on that idea. I'm not going to harm any trees in the money making proces. Im learning all i can spending 12 hrs a day reading and learning. Thanks

I feel better hearing you say that because it sounded like what your where saying is that all you needed was more equipment. Sure, i can go out and buy a bunch of guns but I am no soldier. What good would I be if I didn't know what I was doing? You'd be pissed at me if I tried.

NEKS, check in again after Christmas...let us know how you are getting along, especially when you've read Climber's Companion.

Good for you for being able to sit back and take an honest look at your proposal, and be willing to acknowledge you didn't know enough and are willing to slow down a heap!

Merry Christmas!

as soon as i can afford one, im doing this with very little in my pocket, so im basically competing with everyone around here with not even half the equipment they have. It may take me longer to get going, but I'm gonna do this. Im ordering all new ropes, helmet, face shield, and other PPE, just dont have the cash to hire a climber right now but when i can I'm going to. That way i can pay him to teach me tons, but i just have to take things slow for now. No fatality here yet, im making sure any potential fall is stopped with an arrestor before i go up. THanks for your reply

Tree bot is from your area have not seen him on in a while but really bro hiring a contract climber per assignment may actually save you money but remember this work should not be done cheap. Many times new start ups get the idea they can cut prices to win work which is not a good game plan. If you start too cheap it will be expected by every tom #### and harry out there. get the tree climbers companion and the building blocks of arboriculture read read read then when you have a knowledge of the role apical dominance plays in proper pruning then branch bark protection zone, node , inter-node, crown cleaning,structure pruning,topiary and many other things a tree service should know then you can find it easier to get the price you want! the other books can come later but those will at least show you what your in for:cheers:

Last edited:
If I recall, your initial goal was to do tree work "so that I could get some firewood for the winter". If you are looking for firewood there should be no need to do any type of tree work at all. As many have told you, it takes time, money and tons of experience in order to become proficient at this line of work. One mistake at this game and your life can literally be ruined or over, that is quite some burden to hang on your family to make a little extra money on the weekend.

If you need firewood, advertise for that and avoid taking any trees down to get it. There are plenty of tree services looking for spots to drop off wood, develop a relationship with them and have it delivered to your driveway. If money is still a driving factor, try selloing some of the wood you get on the side.

Latest posts

Back