Frustrated with Stihl Chain!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At some point tonight or tomorrow I am going to sharpen this chain with the proper file, but something doesn't look right to me. For example, If I lay a file into the groove of a brand new Oregon or Husqvarna chain the file fits like a glove, but with this Stihl chain, the file doesn't seem to want to rest in the groove of the tooth properly. there is for lack of a better term a burr or point on the chain itself that prevents the file from resting in the notch. Take a look at the pics, and forgive me for the quality and angle, these were difficult pictures to take.
The file looks fine to me.
You are just comparing it to the profile of whatever "sharpened" it before

You need to look at pics of properly filed/ground chains, and try to duplicate the same.
And keep in mind that most folks have little/no idea how to properly sharpen a chain.

Ok. Perhaps I am a bit paranoid after my last experience. I just wanted to get a second opinion or two before I began filing.

See that "ding" on the corner?
The crescent shaped reflection?
That is damaged cutter, and must be removed.
The profile of the file you displayed looks correct/close enough.
Just keep the file at the same height.

I have been running chainsaws for years, and recently have gotten into carving and love it. I have never been the best sharpener, but always managed to get by. Maybe one of these days I will get it figured out.

I seem to have a bad habit of managing to knock of the corner of the tooth after about a dozen sharpens or so, basically there is no arch in the tooth, it's just blunt. What error in my techniquwe would cause this? I know it may be hard to answer without actually seeing a picture, maybe next time it happens I will upload one.

The little discussed thing here is the pressure upwards or downwards when stroking, and usually gets real out of whack when switching sides.
The best advice is getting a new chain, the correct size file or stone, comparing, and looking at what you are doing.

The human brain is impressive. And if you see what you are starting with, what you have to work with, and what you are trying to accomplish.

The rest comes easy....

Check out this video if you get a chance: This is the same problem I run into once my cutters are about halfway filed down. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

Thanks for the help.

You have to take that file, and make the chain sharp, just like the new chain you have, or a similar one online.
Looking at the angles, top, side and whatever...

About this "upward pressure" I hear some experienced tree cutters say that you should use upward pressure while filing and then I have heard others say not to. There seems to be no shortage of opinions on the subject. Personally I never use much of any pressure, maybe a light inward pressure but that's about it. Should one use upward pressure while filing?

Well, any advice is just silly.
The file is a tool, and you have to use it correctly, and shape the chisel like you want to.
So you need to look at the chisels of correctly sharpened chains, and the chisel you have, and sharpen the damn thing accordingly.

Too low, and the file will not put an edge on the "top plate" and it will be as dull as when you started.
Too high, the angle on the top will be so blunt, that is cannot cut ****...

Back