Frustrated with Stihl Chain!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dad had me sharpening the chains when I was a kid. it just came natural to me I guess
I grew up fly fishing not running chainsaws. My passions have kind of shifted in the last few years and I am getting into chainsaw carving. I wish I had started filing when I was a kid. You could probably do it with your eyes closed.

In this pict of a new chain the file is catching on a ridge left from when the factory wheel ground the chain, factory chain is not filed. When hand filing this ridge has to be filed off first. The gullet or bottom U shape is too deep for the file to follow, the top of the file itself has to stay higher to get a good sharp cutting edge on the top plate. Chipper chain like the one in the pict is the easiest chain to hand file and yes a bit of upward pressure on the file is needed. To get a good sharp chain you need to picture in your mind what a good cutter looks like, you make it conform to that shape, it does not happen automatically. One of the clamp on bar filing guides are a good starting point for those that are just starting out hand filing or for those that have not learned properly.

image-jpeg.718203

I had a lot of tricks when I was a young buck!!!
Cash was a lot easier!!

I filed my first chainsaw chain around 1962, it was on a big Pioneer saw running . 404 chain. I didn`t have many tricks and only got paid .25 cents for a 72 DL chain....LOL

In this pict of a new chain the file is catching on a ridge left from when the factory wheel ground the chain, factory chain is not filed. When hand filing this ridge has to be filed off first. The gullet or bottom U shape is too deep for the file to follow, the top of the file itself has to stay higher to get a good sharp cutting edge on the top plate. Chipper chain like the one in the pict is the easiest chain to hand file and yes a bit of upward pressure on the file is needed. To get a good sharp chain you need to picture in your mind what a good cutter looks like, you make it conform to that shape, it does not happen automatically. One of the clamp on bar filing guides are a good starting point for those that are just starting out hand filing or for those that have not learned properly.

Thanks. I ordered a Granberg file and joint. I Like the idea of being able to see the file as it passes through. I don't like those clamp on things, they obstruct the view of the file making it impossible to see what is going on.

I recently used the Stihl 2 in 1's. They have great reviews, but I wasn't too impressed with them. Anyone here try the husky rollers or Grandberg file n joint?

That file looks larger than the regular 4.8 mm (3/16 inch) for .325 pitch chain to me... seems more like 5.2 mm for 3/8 pitch - might be my eyes, though, they used to see better.
Even on a brand-new chain the correct size file should fit snugly into the arch below the tooth.

Back