Fuel Filter Compatibility

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lil171

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi there. Just a quick question regarding in-tank fuel filters. This question is relating to chainsaws, hedge trimmers, and weed trimmers. Is there such thing as a generic fuel filter that would work in various makes and models of power equipment, or does one need to run the specific one to each piece? I am just curious as my dad and I work on various makes and such, but would just rather buy a few filters and use them than order each one specifically for the tool. If they are brand specific, what or why would the reason be? If I can get away with a generic one, would it be better to buy ones that are smaller, bigger, or something in between? I do see they come in various designs and sizes. Just trying to learn things slowly. Thank you in advance for any and all help and opinions.

I buy them in bulk (Walbro type) and use them on any brand of equipment as long as they fit and won't come off when rolling about in the tank.
I make sure to use a suitable size (up to "xx" cc), though.
Some makers such as Stihl use filters with larger connector diameter. I just adapt the generic type if there is no Stihl filter at hand. Stay away from the Stihl-type AM stuff. Their innards melt over time and clog the line... some won't let any fuel pass through even when new.

Hi there. Just a quick question regarding in-tank fuel filters. This question is relating to chainsaws, hedge trimmers, and weed trimmers. Is there such thing as a generic fuel filter that would work in various makes and models of power equipment, or does one need to run the specific one to each piece? I am just curious as my dad and I work on various makes and such, but would just rather buy a few filters and use them than order each one specifically for the tool. If they are brand specific, what or why would the reason be? If I can get away with a generic one, would it be better to buy ones that are smaller, bigger, or something in between? I do see they come in various designs and sizes. Just trying to learn things slowly. Thank you in advance for any and all help and opinions.
I was just reading ( but can't find it now) about specific fuel filters for m-tronic saws. I believe it was what version (year made)called for specific filters. I prefer OEM to AM filters.

Thank you. I guess I should add that the tools I would be using these in are mainly older power equipment and such. I have myself a new MS171, but in that one, I would be using a new factory filter. This question was mainly asked for older equipment I got cheap, and will only run once or twice. Thank you all for your help and time.

Just be aware that not all saws use the same size fuel line, and therefore there are different sized nipples on the filters. As long as you match those, you should be good to go.

Back