Full Comp or Skip...what's faster?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just type in search skip chain. Test have been run on a 066 with skip and full comp.

I have both full skip and full comp for my 20 inch bar. They seem to average out to cut about the same overall. Skip's a little slower to cut in hardwood for me, but it runs faster and is harder to bog. It gets dull faster. Saw has better response with skip though. If you are racing and only making a few cuts in lighter wood (ie., fir), skip may well run better. The type of cutting heads and the angle that they are sharpened is probably going to make a bigger difference. Sharper angle gets dull faster, but oh does it cut better when its sharp. I flipped back to 30 degrees from 35 for a longer sharpness duty cycle.

Last edited:
full skip

full skip means better chip clearence and shorter filing times. also less teeth to bog down on under powered saws. comp is for home owners and--->>> :newbie:
Just My Beer Monies Worth
Cheers mates:cheers:

Well...I had the skip on, but switched out to full comp when I saw that's what he was running and figured I'd keep things as equal as possible. Thanks for the tips on racing..the "no-dog" technique worked great.
Not sure why, but my FIL don't want to race anymore...:clap:

Back