Full on video of a removal ... HUGE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ekka

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
First of all, I'm only the camera man.

I was bidding in the area and dropped in to shoot the video.

If you're not a tree guy and wondered a little about how it's done then you'll like this one.

For the seasoned, whilst you can sit here and pick it to bits you can also use the opportunity to learn a few things ... even if they're things you shouldn't be doing.

A pumping soundtrack.

17.47mins and 87.53mb wmv

www.palmtreeservices.com.au/video/blackiesjob.wmv

awsome! Climber did the parts over the house top down. Good use and experience of the GRSC was able to wench it right off the roof..
What about a 2.5 hr removal?

Great vid once again!

Thank You for the entertainment ekka.:rock:
The band Jackyl rocks.Ive seen them live twice.(They were a local band around here)
Excellent crew.Nothin bad to say.

:rockn:

The guys did a good job.
I'd like to see more double tie in, maybe more than 1 hard hat for a 5 man crew, a few safety glasses won't hurt either.
The climber kept getting burned with cutting straight through with out a notch.
I also got scared when they did a truck pull. Did the GRCS crap out or something?

TreeCo said:
That was a bad moment for me too. I'm not into having a truck hooked to the top of the tree I'm tied into. All it takes is one wasp(insect) in the cab to put the climber in real danger.

Those guys did kick butt though!

That's not a GRCS. Notice no self tailer, and home made design. The time they pulled with the truck, maybe they wanted to pull the branch up faster than the winch allowed. Odd, though. Then, they'd have had to drive the truck forward to let the branch down.

Ditto on the PPE, really risky for the winch cranker.....
Looked like a 192T? prolly not, it was a fast cutter.

Overall, pretty competent crew and very well done job. Just that one stub that got in the way a time or two.

Nice removal, personally not a big fan of beaners in rigging, but like the marls on the straight picks. Good timing on the ground crew and rope man, without that fence that would have been a real easy drop and flop. Not sure I would have worked that section over the house from the top down, looked like a lot more work to keep moving out of the way and lifting the pieces. Maybe used some balancers and done it bottom up. Obviously a very comfortable climber in his element, thanks for the video. ;)

Yeah, lots to talk about... esp PPE.

The saw was a MS200T.

I wouldn't have gone for the vehicle pull either but I was just filming. I dont like the idea of the top being pulled sideways ... it's OK when the lift first starts but as the piece goes up the load on the spar becomes horizontal which is it's weaker axis ... perhaps a redirect pulley at the base would be better if you are going to do it.

What happened on that pull was the climber originally cut a notch close to the trunk and undercut it ready for the lift. The guy in the vehicle argued that the butt might let go early and the hit the house so he wanted the climber to recut it out further for a tear cut .... as he lifted the original hinge did the work.

It's the ole tear vs hinge thing, many opinions and common for crane use to have the debate. I've attached a diagram so you can see what I mean.

attachment.php

Ekka said:
First of all, I'm only the camera man.

I was bidding in the area and dropped in to shoot the video.

If you're not a tree guy and wondered a little about how it's done then you'll like this one.

For the seasoned, whilst you can sit here and pick it to bits you can also use the opportunity to learn a few things ... even if they're things you shouldn't be doing.

A pumping soundtrack.

Where did you get that soundtrack? I love the "chainsaw vocals!"

Great video and the soundtrack Kicked A$$!!!!!!! Loved every second of it. I saved it and show it to all my friends they watched all afternoon couldn't get enough. Thanks Tony and friends.:popcorn: :jawdrop: :cheers:

The climber almost got whacked with a 2x4 above his neck several times.
How many years does climber have Ekka.
Simon nice work bro keep ya head down.:buttkick:

He reckons 5 years but I reckon @ 2 to 3 years.

He did a lot of groundy work up till the last few years and I reckon he likes to throw that in.

Just yesterday we had a good long yack at the end of a job over a couple of roadies.

His single largest frustration is working for bosses who dont know **** and groundys he has to train... in other words, tree businesses with no friggin idea. He has largely been self taught and via observing.

I think he has great potential and could get upwards of $400 a day if he were coached to the next level, but unfortunately not a lot of coaching goes on in the environment of contract climbers ... the pressure to be fast over rides the technical time and safety thing. The main focus is get that sucka on the ground, fast. And the faster you do it the more you'll be in demand.

Well he is pretty fast climber, is very comfortable in the tree and seems to get into position to cut or tie the branch off quickly and naturally.

There are some points that did make me cringe though. Like people have stated, a hard hat or 2 wouldn't be all bad.

Some of the cuts scared me though. When he was chuncking some of the wood down, I'm really not comfortable with the cut and push. The piece of wood could easily hinge downwards and hit who knows what. Lifting branches into your climbing rope, not my cup of tea either. Having branches swing out and around my back, nope don't like that either. Having to bale out so a branch doesn't hit you, this should be thought out before the cut is made. Tip tying a log with with a lateral branch at the top, I have found these are slightly unpredictable. There could be other things, but I'm not trying nit pick.

He is good, could be a great climber, unfortunately if your personal safety comes second to the bottom line or your ego, then there will always be a demand for good climbers.

Plenty of action. I thought it was a bit ruggerd though, climber didnt have the control he should have i think. There is no need for the one handed bandit styles with the saw!

Latest posts

Back