Full Wrap Bars and Milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husky Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I don't have a lot of experience milling yet, and haven't seen this topic discussed yet, Are Full Wrap Bars an Asset or a Hinderance ?

I recently bought a New 395XP, mainly for use in lighter milling, when the 3120XP isn't really needed, but it will also likely see firewood and other uses as well.

I posted some pics of my new toy, on a 395 thread, Holy Smoke, did I catch HELLL for living in the Great PNW, and having a 395 with a Half wrap, NOT a Full Wrap Bar;):surprised3::laughing:

Seeing that one of my primary uses for the 395, will be Milling, what is the general consensus on Full Wrap bars Milling, Yay, or Nay???:confused:

Doug :cheers:

I'm 63, on the East Coast, and never saw a full wrap till a couple years ago, and i grew up in a fourth generation tree care business. Couple years ago i bought a Homelite 550 with a full wrap from a friend, because i didnt have one in my collection, not for the wrap. Last year I bought another Homelite Super 1050 for$40, the wrap was a bonus. I'll have to check my pics, I had a 129CC Homelite 7-29, with a 52 inch bar. If it had a wrap I didn't notice. The saw was so dang big it didn't stick out. You can live without one, especially on a saw you use. If you just want one get it. But, if you ever cut down a tree in your lawn, be prepared to bend blades on your mower. Wraps are not conducive to flush cuts.

Thanks for the replies, I haven't got any saws with a Full Wrap bar, so I have ordered one for this saw.

I am leaving the 3120xp with the stock half wrap bar, so I will still be able to cut closer the ground when needed. And for the occasional stump flush cut.

I Appreciate the opinions and advice, all was worth thinking about

Thanks for the replies, I haven't got any saws with a Full Wrap bar, so I have ordered one for this saw.

I am leaving the 3120xp with the stock half wrap bar, so I will still be able to cut closer the ground when needed. And for the occasional stump flush cut.

I Appreciate the opinions and advice, all was worth thinking about

Full wrap is not needed for milling and does get in the way sometimes, been there, done that. These are things learned as you go, chainsaw mills produce some beautiful and useful slabs, but it’s a lot of hard work.

I don't think he really wanted to know if it was needed or beneficial. He was embarrassed because guys were laughing at him for being from Eragun, and not bein fully wrapped?

I don't think he really wanted to know if it was needed or beneficial. He was embarrassed because guys were laughing at him for being from Eragun, and not bein fully wrapped?

Oh I was wondering if the Full wrap would be a problem Milling, and I've made it to 54 years old without a Full Wrap, it CAN be done;), just didn't want to put a set on the 395 if it would be a problem for milling, thought I would see what they are like, and BTW, it's OreGUN:), just PLEASE, Don't judge us Oregunians by that IDIOTS in Portland that seem to be so well known:(

Portland, Salem and Eugene, are BLIGHTS on an otherwise Beautiful State, and the rest of the state is pretty much Embarrassed by those ASShats.

Oh I was wondering if the Full wrap would be a problem Milling, and I've made it to 54 years old without a Full Wrap, it CAN be done;), just didn't want to put a set on the 395 if it would be a problem for milling, thought I would see what they are like, and BTW, it's OreGUN:), just PLEASE, Don't judge us Oregunians by that IDIOTS in Portland that seem to be so well known:(

Portland, Salem and Eugene, are BLIGHTS on an otherwise Beautiful State, and the rest of the state is pretty much Embarrassed by those ASShats.

I feel yer pain, everything south of Sacramento, including Sac. Is what the rest of the country has in mind when the think Cali., I’m in the northern section up in the Sierras, about an hr from Tahoe. We have some of the best real estate in the country, and I’m not bragging, just stating fact.

Just funin with you Doug. One of my friends, and avid Savage 99 collectors, is from Oregon. He casually mentioned he would really like to come to one of our Savage "GTG's" in PA, but there was no way to do it. I said, heck, fly into "BWI", I'll pick you up, the guys will buy you dinner, stay in my guest room, then drive up with us. He did and had a great time. He has also put out an open invitation to all of the guys to come hunt BEAR with him. So far, every one that has hunted with him has gotten a bear. On a side note, if you ever bring home one of the "AS" guys, make sure you know their last name. When Clarence, multifaceted, came by, I introduced him to my wife. She said, well Clarence, what's your last name? Realizing I didn't know,and before he could answer, I blurted out "Multifaceted ". She looked up and said, he's probably one of those ax murderers you meet on line. I said, well he does collect axes. So, when I brought Roy home, I realized again, that I didn't know his last name, and introduced him as Roy Fireball. She laughed and said another ax murder I guess? I said, NO, this one collects GUNS!. I also have cousins in Corvallis. 20180824_153123.jpg20190403_183358.jpg

Just funin with you Doug. One of my friends, and avid Savage 99 collectors, is from Oregon. He casually mentioned he would really like to come to one of our Savage "GTG's" in PA, but there was no way to do it. I said, heck, fly into "BWI", I'll pick you up, the guys will buy you dinner, stay in my guest room, then drive up with us. He did and had a great time. He has also put out an open invitation to all of the guys to come hunt BEAR with him. So far, every one that has hunted with him has gotten a bear. On a side note, if you ever bring home one of the "AS" guys, make sure you know their last name. When Clarence, multifaceted, came by, I introduced him to my wife. She said, well Clarence, what's your last name? Realizing I didn't know,and before he could answer, I blurted out "Multifaceted ". She looked up and said, he's probably one of those ax murderers you meet on line. I said, well he does collect axes. So, when I brought Roy home, I realized again, that I didn't know his last name, and introduced him as Roy Fireball. She laughed and said another ax murder I guess? I said, NO, this one collects GUNS!. I also have cousins in Corvallis. View attachment 764556View attachment 764558
Yer wife is very gracious, welcoming a stranger into her home with a sense of humor! You’re a lucky man!;)

Yer wife is very gracious, welcoming a stranger into her home with a sense of humor! You’re a lucky man!;)
When Clarence came by he was dropping off the Plumb Cruiser he hung for me. Hand shaped octagonal shaft. It just happened to be Valentine's day, so I told her it was her present.20180214_165724.jpg

Thats' a lot of mideavel weapons right there, I consider myself a peaceful minded person myself - I love the miracle of life, a beautiful deer, a spider, or a bird flying across the sky.
Things that have taken evolution a million times our age to develop, I don't need the power of death to feel great.

Butter cup, do you by chance hunt. I've always dreamt of hunting Norway. Probably can't afford it, but still dream. My kids want to take us on a cruise to Norway.

Butter cup, do you by chance hunt. I've always dreamt of hunting Norway. Probably can't afford it, but still dream. My kids want to take us on a cruise to Norway.

Nah, I don't hunt. I have been interested in guns and hunting since I was a child but I have grown in to becoming too found of life to do that sort of thing.
My neighbors do though, I have like 10 deers going past my garden and ripping up my plants every other night. My neighbors don't go in to the woods and live in tents during the hunting season - they pop em from the living room window.
Beautiful creatures that have taken nature a million years to develop, and that makes life worth living just to get a glimpse of them. Makes you think there is a God.

Thanks for the reply. I can sit for hours and watch animals do what they do. All my neighbors want me to "Thin the Herd" because we have so many deer they eat everything. But, I live in a development where shooting would be very dangerous, and illegal. I like to watch squirrels, they do some amazing tricks, and keep you laughing as long as you watch them.
Ag9dfFn.jpg

Latest posts

Back