ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Fully Synthetic 2 Cycle Oil Vs Standard?

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by Michael Kent, Apr 13, 2019.

1. bwalker

bwalker Resident Hack Sawbuilder Exposer

API TC is long obsolete. Most of the OEM oil is jaso FC/FD which is alot better quality than API TC. Sabre Carrie's no certifications either.

2. Broken

Broken The Great White North...Eh !

just for giggles Calcium Carbonate additive for anti oxident or non ionic sufactant additive for dispersant for phase separation control . These are common chemical additives utilized within numerous premium synthetic oils . I use Sabre over conventional Api- TD rated marine oils since it has these even in a TC Air cooled rated oil . P.S. Any high rpm small engine is subjected to High pressure and temperature , however the abilities of Castor or Syn oil is to resist the separation of these oils from the mating surfaces due to the solvancy of ethanol fuels is noted by numerous racing associations .

3. bwalker

There is alot wrong with Ultra in a saw as many people have found out. Ultra is Jaso FB rated. Which is a 30+year old standard. It will not pass FC or FD.

BangBang77 and huskihl like this.
  4. Broken

Whether or not it is obsolete today is not the point . It was in my day for its application as are other current ratings .

5. Broken

Neither is Sae. 30 mineral oil which was used in numerous Saw Manufacturers in the 60,s along with use as bar oil until tactility technology allowed development of bar oils . Nothing wrong with Sae 30 either if you understood it limitations and downside , which was primarily smoking and carbon fouling issues requiring routine cleaning . The biggest complaint with Ultra is nuisance odour complaints . P.S. The most stringent oil standard currently is EGD which supersedes all Jasco ratings .

6. full chizel

full chizel ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes it has a crappy Jaso FB rating to back it.

BangBang77 likes this.
  7. MacAttack

MacAttack I love the smell of 2-stroke

The only bad 2 cycle oil is the one you forget to mix into your gas or use to fill up your oil injection tank.

Broken likes this.
  8. Ted Jenkins

Ted Jenkins Firewood by TJ

It really makes little to no difference whatsoever what oil one chooses to run in their chainsaws. Is Homelite saws better than Stihl or Husqvarna or not. All saws have an important factor to the owner. One owner wants a saw to cut fallen limbs around his house another cuts logs for a living. They are not the same. In race motors extreme conditions exist that almost can not be forecasted. On liquid cooled motors engineers try to build a set up that can function well in extreme conditions, but with jetting just right motors still will score the cylinder walls. A motor often cools down after decelerating then suddenly it goes to full throttle and RPM which will often cause internal damage. With chain saws not the case. They are air cooled which is a good thing. All mix ratios have their pros and cons as well as all oils. One oil shines for one application another shines in yet another direction. Few here at AS will ever wear out their saw motor with a decent brand of oil with a decent mix ratio. If one over lubricates the engine will create more carbon than the one that is running lean. For me I shy away from synthetics because they are not all compatible with other oils. For the person who likes fully synthetic oil in all their equipment it will work fine, but not always can be mixed with another brand or non synthetic. Thanks

Broken and BlacknTan like this.
  9. huskihl

huskihl Addicted to ArboristSite

Ultra is a great lubricant, like for drill bits and such.

Not so great when it gets ignited repeatedly

Broken, BangBang77 and Andyshine77 like this.
  10. RedFir Down

RedFir Down Addicted to ArboristSite

Here is what stihl Ultra looks like.
    Look at the bottom of the ring land and notice the wear.
    It had 90 PSI of compression and would not run (obviously). Low hour machine too. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Andyshine77, huskihl and Duce like this.
  11. huskihl

huskihl Addicted to ArboristSite

Ms362 I ported in April run on Ultra

I’d be nervous about a thicker piece of carbon flaking off and potentially smearing up the piston or sticking the rings

74CE6017-E8F9-4B11-91AC-C4682B0FD6D0.jpeg 7B7732F9-0FBF-4299-847B-E2AD1257BC9C.jpeg DD61B372-C467-4771-B91E-7505C957285D.jpeg

Termite and Duce like this.
  12. MacAttack

MacAttack I love the smell of 2-stroke

Is that your saw that you ran personally, or one that you're fixing for a customer or the like?

13. bwalker

Calcium carbonate is not used in two cycle oils. Calcium sulfanates are. Neither are an anti oxidant.
    And no, the oil in a two cycle motor is not subject to high pressure at all.
    Castor and synthetics are actually more affected by ethanol than mineral based oils.

Termite and Andyshine77 like this.
  14. bwalker

Actually no EGD and Jaso FD are the same rating using the same tests.

15. bwalker

FB oils had issues with port blocking like that often. I had a three wheeler when Inwas a kid that had the exhaust port almost completely blocked off.

16. bwalker

Sae 30w in a two cycle sucked too. I tore apart a Wajax brand fire pump that was powered by a 300cc single cylinder Bombardier engine that was ran its entire life in 30w. It was possibly the nastiest two cycle I had ever been in. By the looks of it it didnt have many hours on it either, but it had no compression due to the rings being completely stuck in their grooves.

Duce likes this.
  17. Kenskip1

Kenskip1 Addicted to ArboristSite

I have been using Amsoil Saber at 40/1 for the past 15 years without a single oil related issue.

Andyshine77 and Broken like this.
  18. Broken

Ted I agree , if you have an older engine that has been accustomed to mineral oil , there will be residual residue or carbon that can cause issues , when some synthetics oils are introduced . Foaming is very prevalent with small engine splash lubrication systems such as lawnmowers and tillers etc . Good post Bud !

19. Broken

Again nothing wrong with Sae. usage with Bombardier " Rotax " Air cooled engines , however the Oil service intervals had to be maintained back then . Carbon fouling of heads & rings was routine . Been there done that a hundred times back in the day , over my 65 yrs , where have you been dude ? Anyhow Michigander , " Here ends the Lesson " Have a Merry Xmas and even better New Yr ! Until we meet again at Deer Camp in Hessel or Houghton Lake .

20. Broken

Wrong , Try again Sport !