Fully Synthetic 2 Cycle Oil Vs Standard?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Kent

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just curious as to how others feel about using fully synthetic 2 cycle oil in their chainsaws? Would this not be recommended for a saw breakin period if there is one, if used? Amsoil makes some good synthetic oils I’ve been told.

Thanks for any opinions.

Mike

Not really worried about anyone else’s opinion but I use synthetic and never had a problem with a break in. I use the FVP from Menard’s in 40:1 bottles.

Yes, opinions can be like assholes, “everyone has one.” But there are many people on this forum with a lot more experience than I, therefore I welcome and value what others have to say. Thanks for your opinion.
Have a nice day

Mike

I’m just saying there is an oil thread on here close to 1000 pages with 1 million opinions and they still don’t know what oil is best. Use a good oil at 40:1 and you’ll have no problems

Thanks for your reply, I’m new to this site so wasn’t aware. But I can understand your statement. Just thought I would ask.
Your input is valued, thanks.

Mike

I run Amsoil Saber in all my saws and trimmers and love it. Spark plugs and spark arrestor screens stay clean forever just about.
It has fuel stabilizer already in the oil also.
I mix at 40:1 or 50:1

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

I have run the Stihl HP synthetic also and it seemed like good oil.
The Amsoil is actually cheaper if you are a dealer or preferred customer though, and I feel it is a better oil.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

When my Husqvarna saws were new I used the husky oil. Mixed under 40:1 more like 38:1. They lasted me over two decades. I was told only to use husky oil in my new saws because they have tighter tolerances. I believe in using the manufacturers two stroke oil. I do run them oil rich. The little saws will foul but not that often. The bigger saws never fouled plugs running slightly oil rich,

In dirtbike engines old vs new. The cylinder liners went from castiron, to industrial chrome to nickasil. The old days with castiron they used castor oil, today maxima offers a blend of synthetic/ castor oil with there 927.. The industrial chrome and nickasil we can use the super maxima oil.

My point is what material is the cylinder in the two stroke.

I tried to hone a cajiva cylinder on the husky once my hardest stones couldn’t do it. The stones in oil squeezed. The huskys chrome cylinders looks like the cajiva. This is why some seizures don’t mark the cylinders.

When my Husqvarna saws were new I used the husky oil. Mixed under 40:1 more like 38:1. They lasted me over two decades. I was told only to use husky oil in my new saws because they have tighter tolerances. I believe in using the manufacturers two stroke oil. I do run them oil rich. The little saws will foul but not that often. The bigger saws never fouled plugs running slightly oil rich,

In dirtbike engines old vs new. The cylinder liners went from castiron, to industrial chrome to nickasil. The old days with castiron they used castor oil, today maxima offers a blend of synthetic/ castor oil with there 927.. The industrial chrome and nickasil we can use the super maxima oil.

My point is what material is the cylinder in the two stroke.

I tried to hone a cajiva cylinder on the husky once my hardest stones couldn’t do it. The stones in oil squeezed. The huskys chrome cylinders looks like the cajiva. This is why some seizures don’t mark the cylinders.
My 2 cents, back around year 2000 l started getting paid on production cutting timber I ran a saw hard for 6.5 or 7 hrs 6 days a wk.I ran reg husky oil when I was running husky’s and I ran reg stihl oil when running stihls. I got a new saw and ran it hard right from the very first tank. Never even gave a thought to breaking in, later started running stihl synthetic. Then I got a computer about 2013 & started reading about oils & breakin etc & worrying about these things, started using Motul & running half throttle first little bit then stepping it up first few tanks. Long story short I never had a saw fail in any of these scenarios! I serviced them on Sunday,cleaned them, greased needle bearing, kept filter clean as I could.I believe one of the most important things I did was when I got bar pinched I didn’t jerk and wrench back and forth excessively I used a wedge or put on spare bar & got it out or if guy in next strip was close I got cut out, therefore I never caused an air leak and got it running lean. Lean equals saw failure I believe, sorry to ramble on about what was just supposed to be about oil. I still like Motul best because it just feels like it has way more lubricity between your fingers where the stihl & husky just feel thin but I’m not sure it makes a difference because I had luck with both!

Just curious as to how others feel about using fully synthetic 2 cycle oil in their chainsaws? Would this not be recommended for a saw breakin period if there is one, if used? Amsoil makes some good synthetic oils I’ve been told.

Thanks for any opinions.

Mike
I use the Stihl ultra and it is made to mix 50:1, it's clean at that, but much richer it's pretty dirty. I will probably switch to amsoil saber when I use all the ultra.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Talk about break in time. I ran my new 2100/240 hard right away with husky oil and high test gas. They ran awesome from the get go. Note, after running stock craftsman sears saws I was in heaven cutting with the huskys. Soon after the 266SE joined the other two huskys.
Now fast forward my son hooked us up cleaning out big trees from a saw mill that wasn’t quality lumber. I purchased a new husky 385xp, a new 575, a new 353. I was told to run high test gas, and go easy while breaking them in. Only use husky two stroke oil in them because of the tighter tolarences. We cut 20 cords of firewood. As soon as we hit 20cords both saws turned on the after burners. At first they weren’t the same husky saws as my older husky saws were. They just weren’t cutting right. Once they were broken in they ran awesome.

There is no problem asking but the more opinion you and get the more confused you’ll be:lol:

We must keep a clear mind and absorb it all fact wise then at some point sort it all out.

The husky two stroke oil looks similar to the maxima super M oil.

Latest posts

Back