Fully Synthetic 2 Cycle Oil Vs Standard?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Break in only apply's when you rebuild with un tempered parts. (i.e. new untreated piston)
I raced 2 strokes for years and I never had to break in a motor. Having said that, it is wise to run a NEW motor through a few heat cycles before you put a lot of stress on it.
I never broke in a chainsaw. I just run it the way I'm gonna run it rite from the start. Never had an issue.
As for oils, I use stihl 2 stroke oil in my stihl saws. seems to work just fine.

I run Stihl HP Ultra. In both Swedish and German saws.

My Husqy 550 XP recently went over 800 hours on it. I might be the first customer at my shop to get one to 1,000 hours.

I just stick with regular 50:1 mixes.

Except ... one day this winter I was headed out to help a friend get through a blizzard weekend with a furnace out. I didn't want to fool with mixing some saw gas in the weather mess so I just picked up a can of pre-mix at the big box store. I forget the brand but I hadn't seen it before. It bragged about being good for either 50:1 or 40:1 somehow, for some reason. A little later I decided to just use it up at work, in my Stihl FS 560 brush-saw. That particular pre-mix fouled out the plug (M-Tronic in charge on this saw) within 20 minutes. I suspect it was actually a 40:1 mix and M-Tronic didn't like that, but dunno for sure. I won't be using that brand any more.

I sometimes get a kick out of how the HP Ultra can make exhaust smell like some weird food is being deep fried at the State Fair. Kinda makes me hungry sometimes.

I generally do keep a can of pre-mix in the toolbox for a day when I am not out running saws, but a tree might be in the road, etc. And today I used a little bit of Stihl MotoMix - I like to run that (or Husqy's version) in a saw that is going to be put away for a few months.

I only ran a half a tank through a Husqy 562 XP, finished up about 8 hours ago. I still can not get the taste of that exhaust off the tip of my tongue. MotoMix is HP Ultra + excellent 93 Octane gas. Works very well. But I truly hate how I can taste that exhaust when I use it.

I run Stihl HP Ultra. In both Swedish and German saws.

My Husqy 550 XP recently went over 800 hours on it. I might be the first customer at my shop to get one to 1,000 hours.

I just stick with regular 50:1 mixes.

Except ... one day this winter I was headed out to help a friend get through a blizzard weekend with a furnace out. I didn't want to fool with mixing some saw gas in the weather mess so I just picked up a can of pre-mix at the big box store. I forget the brand but I hadn't seen it before. It bragged about being good for either 50:1 or 40:1 somehow, for some reason. A little later I decided to just use it up at work, in my Stihl FS 560 brush-saw. That particular pre-mix fouled out the plug (M-Tronic in charge on this saw) within 20 minutes. I suspect it was actually a 40:1 mix and M-Tronic didn't like that, but dunno for sure. I won't be using that brand any more.

I sometimes get a kick out of how the HP Ultra can make exhaust smell like some weird food is being deep fried at the State Fair. Kinda makes me hungry sometimes.

I generally do keep a can of pre-mix in the toolbox for a day when I am not out running saws, but a tree might be in the road, etc. And today I used a little bit of Stihl MotoMix - I like to run that (or Husqy's version) in a saw that is going to be put away for a few months.

I only ran a half a tank through a Husqy 562 XP, finished up about 8 hours ago. I still can not get the taste of that exhaust off the tip of my tongue. MotoMix is HP Ultra + excellent 93 Octane gas. Works very well. But I truly hate how I can taste that exhaust when I use it.
I have a question about motomix, trufuel etc, they claim to have a shelf life of 2 yrs but stihl suggests that you don’t use gas you mix after 1 month because fuel & oil start to separate. I use e free gas & good mix oil so what is the deal? I know they use excellent gas not pump gas but still that doesn’t explain why their mix should last so much longer anyone know?

The pre-mix stuff has fuel stabilizer additives to improve the shelf life of it. I find it quite handy to keep a little on hand for when working daily in timber-land but not running a saw. Otherwise, it is too expensive to use regularly.

I honestly don't have any issues with the shelf life of my 2 stroke premix.
I use Amsoil Saber that has a,stabilizer additive in it with 91 octane ethanol free gas.
I keep it in a tightly sealed gas can and have had it last a year with no issue. (Although I don't store it that long anymore now that I'm burning wood).

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

I have a question about motomix, trufuel etc, they claim to have a shelf life of 2 yrs but stihl suggests that you don’t use gas you mix after 1 month because fuel & oil start to separate. I use e free gas & good mix oil so what is the deal? I know they use excellent gas not pump gas but still that doesn’t explain why their mix should last so much longer anyone know?
The premix stuff is alkylate fuel, it doesn't have all the crap in it that gasoline does. That's why it has a longer shelf life.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

One more oil thread and I'm going back to SAE 30 mixed at 32:1
Use the same old oil for gas and bar...
Problem solved...
F- all those mosquitoes !!!

Andy maybe you got it wrong because my old Mac book says 24:1 using 30 wt non detergent. Just maybe 60 and 70 years ago no knew how to measure. I do know that full synthetic does not mix with others. If you like synthetic you may keep it or not. I do agree mosquitoes do not like 30 wt as well as full synthetic.

If my fuel gets more than a week or two old it is time to go cut some more even if the splitting pile is overwhelming, Never let the fuel sit more than a week and no problems. Thanks

How many manufacturers make 2 cycle oil? I figure there is only 3 or 4 so just about any oil that is mixed correctly with E free gas is going to work. I think I have used 5 different brands of oil; stihl reg/ultra, husqvarna, FVP, Woodland Pro and Motul. Lately I have been using 40:1 Premix from Menards or Bomgaars when I find it on sale because I have not being using a lot of fuel. It seems to be all good.

One more oil thread and I'm going back to SAE 30 mixed at 32:1
Use the same old oil for gas and bar...
Problem solved...
F- all those mosquitoes !!!

Andy maybe you got it wrong because my old Mac book says 24:1 using 30 wt non detergent. Just maybe 60 and 70 years ago no knew how to measure. I do know that full synthetic does not mix with others. If you like synthetic you may keep it or not. I do agree mosquitoes do not like 30 wt as well as full synthetic.

If my fuel gets more than a week or two old it is time to go cut some more even if the splitting pile is overwhelming, Never let the fuel sit more than a week and no problems. Thanks
Nah farther back 1963 , 16:1 sae.30 lol. No mosquitoes , frogs , squirrels !

I see no mention of Royal purple. I have a quart and have started using it on my two stroke equipment. Any reason I don't hear about it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I see no mention of Royal purple. I have a quart and have started using it on my two stroke equipment. Any reason I don't hear about it?

This is my opinion, so take it as you will.
I have studied a lot of oils over the years, and from what I have seen of Royal purple, it is an average synthetic oil, with purple dye added, and sold for a premium price.
There are better quality oils out there for the price.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

I have studied a lot of oils over the years, and from what I have seen of Royal purple, it is an average synthetic oil, with purple dye added, and sold for a premium price.

That explains why! Thank you for the input.

The fuel in the sealed / closed can will last 2 yrs. Once in the saw, it will last longer than pump fuel, but anything outside of 90 days is pushing it. As some have posted, run it through equipment when winterizing.

With all the studying what have you picked to run?

Back