Future of rec climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sizzle-Chest

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've done some searching on this subject and found only random mentioning, but nothing like a discussion dedicated to the future of tree climbing. I would like to hear any opinions and thoughts you might have about the direction recreational tree climbing is headed, maybe projections and extrapolations on the evolution of tree climbing as a sport. Some things to consider are where people might be climbing in the future, how the gear will change and become more or less affordable, what sort of rules should/should not be in place, whether or not growth of RTC as a sport is a good thing and impact on trees and areas surrounding them.

The main reason I would like to discuss these issues is because RTC is a fairly new sport, relatively speaking, and in terms of sports, they either catch on or fade out. I feel that we are in a unique position to view RTC as it develops and transitions through this stage to either becoming a popular sport or an obscure pastime for select individuals. It raises a lot of interesting questions that I feel are worth exploring.

I'm right on the cusp of gearing up for getting into RTC as a hobby. I have 10 or 20 acres of town land right behind my house with some large red oaks just waiting to be climbed. There are also some small trees to practice on to get started (low and slow, or something like that).

If it weren't for all these Christmas bills, I think I'd drop 5 bills on a saddle, some ropes and biners and such and start into it this weekend. I read one book about tree climbing, but I think I need to start doing some stuff so I understand more what I'm reading about.

Eventually, I'd like to do some canopy camping; set up a hammock 100 feet up and catch some zzz's.

Hey Sizzle, there's been quite a bit of discussion about rec climbing standards and future directions on the TCI message board:
rec climbing forum

Bob, whereabouts are you located in Mass.? I rec climb at least twice a week and have sufficient gear to take another climber up. I'm in eastern Mass.
-moss

Moss, I'm sure you have been to Harvard's Arnald Arboretum. I have never been. Just wondering what it's like. I'm from Ct but my brother lives in Sommerville.

Anyway, I wish more people were into rtc near me. I have a friend with interests in tees but he has no saddle. I do not have a spare. Oh well, I'll keep pressing him. I like to teach too. It would just be nice to go on a weeked hike with your buddies and climb some trees just for fun!

rmihalek, its great that you are getting into climbing. post any questions you have, there are many knowledgeable people here (not including myself!)

moss, i actually found some of those discussions while searching for info, but i thought it would be nice to start a fresh discussion here.

tom, as i'm sure you have figured out by now i'm no expert on RTC. in order to safeguard myself from my lack of knowledge, i was sure to include the word "relatively" when i said that RTC is a new sport. While the mid 80's seems like ages ago, most sports we consider "new" where started around or before then, including snowboarding, wakeboarding and even roller blading. In fact, now knowing that RTC was started in the 80's makes me further question the direction the sport is headed. I like people's optimism, but I have a hard time believing that RTC will ever achieve the level of familiarity among the American public that the aforementioned sports share.

and if the lack of interest in this topic is any indication of the direction of RTC, i think its safe to say it wont be taking off anytime soon!

I don't think rec tree climbing will ever hit the mainstream like hullahoops, pogosticks, skateboards, various kinds of scooters, rollerblades, miniature motorcycles, bunji jumping etc. etc. And that is a good thing IMHO. There is plenty of room for growth in rec climbing. In the next couple of years you're going to see a substantial increase in people offering rec climbing instruction and guide services. It's in the pipeline now. Once you have enough instructors and guides out there you'll start to see more of the general public getting involved.

I wonder if we'll ever see fake trees installed in rock wall gyms :)
-moss

Last edited:
Trignog said:
Moss, I'm sure you have been to Harvard's Arnald Arboretum. I have never been. Just wondering what it's like. I'm from Ct but my brother lives in Sommerville.

Anyway, I wish more people were into rtc near me. I have a friend with interests in tees but he has no saddle. I do not have a spare. Oh well, I'll keep pressing him. I like to teach too. It would just be nice to go on a weeked hike with your buddies and climb some trees just for fun!

The Arnold Arboretum is a great place with temperate zone trees from all over the world. I live about two blocks from it. It is a no climbing zone. It's an excellent place to enjoy and study trees. What part of CT are you in? There are rec climbers around, might be able to get you connected.

I climb mostly solo for lack of available climbers but everytime I go up with other climbers the learning and good times can't be beat.
-moss

Moss, I sent you an e-mail about getting started in tree climbing.

Bob

competition

I think it would be awesome to have a rec. climbing competetion where the competitors climb trees on top rope only using hands and feet . Now that would be killer.:angry2:

darkstar said:
I think it would be awesome to have a rec. climbing competetion where the competitors climb trees on top rope only using hands and feet . Now that would be killer.:angry2:

There's a good example of different views of rec climbing. One way of thinking about rec climbing is that you're in the tree to enjoy nature, get some exercise and maybe "hang" out with some friends. Basically you don't need to be in a rush 'cause what's the point? A lot of the competition idea comes into tree climbing from the arborist side where it makes sense that you have to work fast to make money.

But, humans are basically competitive so we're going to start seeing this coming into rec climbing sooner or later. Especially if you start to have sponsored climbers. Competitive events are a good way to attract money and attention. Will be interesting to see if any of that comes about for rec climbing.

yup

moss said:
I don't think rec tree climbing will ever hit the mainstream like hullahoops, pogosticks, skateboards, various kinds of scooters, rollerblades, miniature motorcycles, bunji jumping etc. etc. And that is a good thing IMHO. There is plenty of room for growth in rec climbing. In the next couple of years you're going to see a substantial increase in people offering rec climbing instruction and guide services. It's in the pipeline now. Once you have enough instructors and guides out there you'll start to see more of the general public getting involved.

I wonder if we'll ever see fake trees installed in rock wall gyms :)
-moss
we had huge increases in females coming in to a class we had set up and they had goals of climbing I finally asked one what first got her interested in climbing and she pulled out an article on fitness for climbing , from her ladies work out mag.

Have you all seen the "magalog" titled Ascend that Tobe Sherrill has published?

I've heard that he has had quite a response...from outside the industry.

Did you know that REI here in Seattle carries Arborwear clothing?

I expect that the idea will catch on. I also expect that there will be problems with access and with the peak bagging mentality that many climbers seem to develop.

The idea that tree climbing for recreation is a newly invenmted sport is IMO pretty funny. My father says that I was climbing trees for fun when I was 4 years old. I'm sure that the pastime has been around for centuries. Labeled as Recreational Treee Climbing and all geared up with various rope techniques...that may be recent. But my mt climbing friends and I played and practiced in trees back in the early 70's using no gear or rock climbing methods.

I am curios what you all think about the potential impacts and hope that we all can help develop a Recreational Climbing ethic. Any thoughts...? Scott

thanks for the post scott. i didnt know that about the rei in seattle, but i believe that you have one of the biggest rei's in the country so that would make sense.

so, i guess there are some differing opinions on the idea that RTC is a new sport, but regardless you asked about potential impacts. i think that one of the biggest impacts will be wear and tear on trees. i think we have all seen what dynamic rope can do to tree bark, but using cambium/friction savers seems to be more of a suggestion than rule. maybe using FC's should be as much a part of RTC ethics as not using spurs, there could be some saying like if you cant set-up an FC then dont Ddrt. working a tree is different, but if you dont need to be in a tree, then you should at least choose one that you can set-up a FC to minimize impact.

I use a false crotch or cambium saver for all tie-ins DdRT. The only time I won't is when I'm doing a very short tie-in and will only be doing a couple of pulls on the rope (and the tree is not thin barked). Extends the life of the rope and it takes less effort to ascend when you use false crotches so there are benefits all around.

Some wilderness tree climbing guidelines and ethics authored by Bill Maher are in the first post of this "standards" thread:
Wilderness tree climbing ethics

There has been speculation about a peak bagging mentality emerging from rec climbing culture, so far no signs of it happening. We like big trees but they don't have to the biggest on the planet. Putting the welfare of the tree and related habitat/ecosystem first has to be a priority for any rec climber when thinking about tree selection and climbing technique.
-moss

Moss, I have a big network that I hear from and, from what I hear...the peak bagging thing is happening now out here in the PNW.

I am hearing regular reports of folks headed to the biggest tree of a species in their state or region. I try to explain my views when I hear the stories hoping to avoid the inevitable conflict that will result if resource managers hear about climbers in "their" trees.

Personally I think that these trees should be off limits unless there is a special reason to get into the tree...like research.

On the other hand I know that Gerry Beranek has one tree that he has climbed over many years and it- the tree- seems to be doing fine. I hear that because the rope is always in the same spot that there is a trail visible up the trunk!

I am looking forward to making another visit this spring to the area where a big group climbed together in OR last fall. I hope I can't tell that we were there. I can say that two weeks later our impact was quite visible.
Scott

scottbaker said:
Moss, I have a big network that I hear from and, from what I hear...the peak bagging thing is happening now out here in the PNW.

I believe you :) The PNW is quite a bit further ahead than the northeast in rec climbing. Also in the northeast we don't have the quantity of gigantic trees that you have so our emphasis is on finding a decent tree to climb period.

In some cases it's not the tree that will suffer, it's the habitat around it from being stepped on too many times. Peak bagging sounds really boring as a tree climbing objective, hopefully it's a trend that will pass. For me personally I'd rather not climb a tree that has someone else's "footprints" all over it. Then again I don't like to walk on trails when I'm in the woods.
-moss

scott, you should let me know when you plan to head down here to climb, i would like to check that area out

Latest posts

Back