Galled Piston Stihl 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to atpchas I have a parts list. Going with Meteor for either the piston kit or P/C kit. But the other stuff, mainly the carb and chain oiler hoses, filters, etc... I'm thinking of going with one of Amazon's mid range $$ rubber parts kits by Coolwind. I'd like to think paying a bit more than the cheapest available means a better product but it is likely that 90% of what's on Amazon is the exact same stuff repackaged and rebadged.

The crank seals are coming from my Stihl dealer and so is the replacement for the clutch carrier I broke and a shoe retainer. The flywheel has proven stubborn, the dealer offered to remove it n/c.
Don’t cheap out on the rubber parts, like the fuel, impulse, carb boot and seals! You’ll thank me later.

Caught the Amazon order and cancelled it. Everything will be genuine Stihl but the Meteor piston kit. Scallywag, an oem clutch carrier was only $8.80, so it turned out to be a cheap lesson. The cylinder measures .0005" out-of-round and has .001+/- taper - good enough. Probably wasn't any better than that when new, me thinks honing blind hole cylinders with all those port openings must be a real *****. It was an act of frustration just trying to drag the dial bore gauge through this one.

You guys seem to like pictures, so once I've had my way with the cylinder wall (clean-up), I'll snap a more couple pic's.

By the way, thanks to all for the advice!

Parts are mostly here. Finally got around to mounting a degree wheel. Have the total deck (squish) set at .019". Made a .009" cylinder base gasket to replace the factory .037". CC'd the chamber and calculated the compression ratio: stock/10.36:1, now 12.41:1. This is calculated using the total swept area. The untouched port timing with the cylinder dropped .028" is as follows; Exhaust opens at 77°BBDC (I think you guys call this 103°), closes at 76°ABDC so 153° duration. Intake opens at 71°BTDC (109°), closes at 71°ATDC for 142°. And - the transfers opens at 60°BBDC, closing at 51°ABDC for 111° duration. Blow-down is 17°. If I understand the method used here to express the port open timings; 103-109-60.

That 60° T.O. doesn't look right, I have come across numbers in the 78°-83° range. It is the point at which the piston top first exposes the top of the port, no? Does it sound reasonable this cylinders transfers are this late?

Did some internet trolling for working saw 044 numbers and... well, it depends on who you talk to. Anyone have known good numbers for the 044 and is willing to share?

Latest posts

Back