Gas Powered Pole Saws in Bucket Lifts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Climb Higher

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Love my Silky pole saws, thinking of bucking up the 600 dollars for a Stihl motorized version for those all day pin oak pruning from a bucket jobs. Seems a bit unwieldy - curious if you guys like um in that application or is it like wearing kilts to work and just not a great idea...

I have used all makes of pole saws out of buckets when needs must they can be great but easy to cause harm and your back and shoulders will wear out fast. Just today a contractor took my battery stihl HTA 85 pole saw aloft in his bucket and was very pleased in its power and feel and no engine means no maintenance or pole shaft hassles & no noise means better safety so consider this option.

http://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Produ...-Pole-Pruner/22372-1682/HTA-85-Tool-Only.aspx

appreciate your replies, will check out that electric / battery powered model, actually sounds like a good application for that, likely less maint too.

I used an HT101 out of a bucket lift for around 4 hours once and can say next time, I will do something different. Just too tiring. Nothing wrong with it, just tiring.

Gas stick saw in a bucket sucks donkey!

A few years ago I used one 5 days a week for 3 months on the ground for a village trimming contract the town hadn't been touched in 15 years with many many small to medium sized trees that were planted when they lost their elms. You could barely drive a suv through town without rubbing. needless to say my shoulders got a workout, some days the pain was nearly unbearable. My job was to stay ahead of three booms doing block trimming, the carnage was epic!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

LOL, visualizing you running thru town trying to stay ahead of the parade, brutal ;-)
I put a pole saw to over 4 thousand trees that winter b4 I started running a bucket, it sucked.
Now just try and visualize turning the corner in the chipper truck and seeing two blocks of brush from front of house across the road to the front of house and it ain't even lunch yet. Now that's brutal

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Thanks Philbert, ordering the battery powered Oregon pole saw at $399. Didn't really want to spent 350 on another Silky, or 600 on a Stihl gas powered with all the issues and weight. Excited to try this for pruning big pin oaks from a bucket with the bonus of upcoming storm damage work as well - if it buys me distance from the "mouse trap" i will be glad I got it.

Thanks all

Thanks Philbert, ordering the battery powered Oregon pole saw at $399.
I have been impressed at what it will cut with the 3/8, low profile, NK chain and only 8" bar! I use the suggested 4.5mm (11/64") files and it really cuts fairly aggressively.

Looks like you got the 4.0 Ah battery? It's nice to have more than one, to keep working while one is charging, but that battery is basically 2X the capacity of the 2.4Ah batteries I started with, so that is a trade off.

Please post your comments and experiences, positive or negative, with it in that same thread for others.

Philbert

Back