Gas Question: Premium Gas or Ethanol Free

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWhiteLotus

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Locally here I can get Ethanol free gas that appears to have an octane of 87 (the button says 87). Im curious if this is better than the normal premium gas i typically use. I am an occasional use firewood cutter so im not using my saws everyday, maybe just once a week. Is the ethanol free a better option? Ive read that Stihl recommends at least 89 octane so i was hesitant to get the ethanol free.

Thanks!!!

Im not one to judge a book by its cover but im assuming the gas attendants won't know. I was Only curious about ethanol free because i was hoping to use that and leave it in my blowers, trimmers, saws without draining the tanks when done using. Im assuming if the button data 87 that means it's 87 octane...im kinda new to all this!

Thanks!

I run 88 oct E free without issue. I can get a higher oct E free but it doesn't do any better than the 88. Buy the 87 E free and use a quality brand oil, tune your saw to it and cut away.

Im not one to judge a book by its cover but im assuming the gas attendants won't know. I was Only curious about ethanol free because i was hoping to use that and leave it in my blowers, trimmers, saws without draining the tanks when done using. Im assuming if the button data 87 that means it's 87 octane...im kinda new to all this!

Thanks!

My Gas Station sells "Conventional Premium". I finally asked what that was, and the young girl attendant said it was Ethanol Free. They might know. It costs nothing to ask.

Thanks!

That won’t work either . Fuel volatility will decrease if it isn’t in a sealed container.
The additives that help it ignite are the first to dissipate.
Then the octane drops.
Many will disagree. They are wrong.

You really need the spec sheet on fuels the RON is the research octane number and the MON is the motor octane number.
Take VP U4.4 REG racing fuel. It has a MON (motor octane number) is 98 octane but the RON (research octane number) witch is 114 octane.
On gas pumps there is a number (R+M)/2 witch is and average of the the RON+ MON witch makes U4.4's average octane number 105.

E-free gas here is all premium in Oregon. But in your case, I would go with the e-free regular over premium with ethanol. E-free is all I use in my saws. Ethanol is a bad thing to run with aluminum and rubber/plastic engine parts. Ethanol also attracts water. As for gas going bad, use a stabilizer. I use that stuff and my gas keeps fresh for a year. I use Stabil. Note also that many saws (at least Stihls) are designed to run mid grade gas or better.

87 ethanol is fine if your saws get weekly use. Been using it for years with 0 issues with fuel. Only time you will have issues with ethanol is if your saws are shelf queens.

I run 88 oct E free without issue. I can get a higher oct E free but it doesn't do any better than the 88. Buy the 87 E free and use a quality brand oil, tune your saw to it and cut away.
What kind of oil do you recommend? Ive always just bought the little ones you simply add to 1 gallon. 1 gallon of gas lasts me a long time with amount i use my saws

E-free gas here is all premium in Oregon. But in your case, I would go with the e-free regular over premium with ethanol. E-free is all I use in my saws. Ethanol is a bad thing to run with aluminum and rubber/plastic engine parts. Ethanol also attracts water. As for gas going bad, use a stabilizer. I use that stuff and my gas keeps fresh for a year. I use Stabil. Note also that many saws (at least Stihls) are designed to run mid grade gas or better.
So wouldnt the E Free 87 be less than ideal for the saws? I have a Stihl MS390 and a Echo CS-590. A gallon of gas will last me quite a while. I only use it to cut up some firewood every so often.

So wouldnt the E Free 87 be less than ideal for the saws? I have a Stihl MS390 and a Echo CS-590. A gallon of gas will last me quite a while. I only use it to cut up some firewood every so often.
E Free if it is going to sit longer than say 1 or 2 months.

Have you actually seen a difference using Stabil?

I run 87 with ethanol,I just make sure I use top quality mix. I try to use only Stihl synthetic. I run it in my 100CC milling saws and all of my firewood saws. I have been building new live edge shelves in my garage for all of my saws. As I'm going through the saws I start them up. My 660 has been sitting for about 6 months and it started right up. My favorite old climbing saw is an Echo 305, about 3 years ago an anti vibe mount broke. When I was building the Echo shelf I found it, pumped the primer bulb, pulled the choke out, and it started right up, on 3 year old gas. I DO NOT RECOMMEND doing that. It's just that I have so many saws, I'll set one down and forget about it, till I get the urge to play with it again. The Stihl synthetic says it has stabilizers in it. I have a Troy Built tiller, Troy Built push mower, and a snow blower that had 87 with out stabilizers left in them and the carbs on all three gummed up. I try to pick one day a month and start all of my gas equipment just to keep it clean, but it's an all day chore, and usually gets skipped.

I run 87 with ethanol,I just make sure I use top quality mix. I try to use only Stihl synthetic. I run it in my 100CC milling saws and all of my firewood saws. I have been building new live edge shelves in my garage for all of my saws. As I'm going through the saws I start them up. My 660 has been sitting for about 6 months and it started right up. My favorite old climbing saw is an Echo 305, about 3 years ago an anti vibe mount broke. When I was building the Echo shelf I found it, pumped the primer bulb, pulled the choke out, and it started right up, on 3 year old gas. I DO NOT RECOMMEND doing that. It's just that I have so many saws, I'll set one down and forget about it, till I get the urge to play with it again. The Stihl synthetic says it has stabilizers in it. I have a Troy Built tiller, Troy Built push mower, and a snow blower that had 87 with out stabilizers left in them and the carbs on all three gummed up. I try to pick one day a month and start all of my gas equipment just to keep it clean, but it's an all day chore, and usually gets skipped.
Are you 50 to one on that milling saw?

Have you actually seen a difference using Stabil?
You were typing as I was typing. I can only assume it's the stabilizer in the Stihl synthetic that has kept my saws from gumming up. I used "Stabil" specifically for 2 years when it first came out. As soon as I was done with the 4 stroke power equipment, for what ever season they were used, I ran the tanks dry, put them in the shed till it was time to use them again, and they all still had carb problems. I probably didn't follow the directions for storage. I just used regular gas mixed with the "Stabil" and let them sit all summer, or winter. I did not run "Stabil" in them all their working season, just the last tank before storage. I do not use Stabil in straight gas anymore.

You were typing as I was typing. I can only assume it's the stabilizer in the Stihl synthetic that has kept my saws from gumming up. I used "Stabil" specifically for 2 years when it first came out. As soon as I was done with the 4 stroke power equipment, for what ever season they were used, I ran the tanks dry, put them in the shed till it was time to use them again, and they all still had carb problems. I probably didn't follow the directions for storage. I just used regular gas mixed with the "Stabil" and let them sit all summer, or winter. I did not run "Stabil" in them all their working season, just the last tank before storage.
I take the old gas out of saws that sit 3 or 4 months,put it in a mason jar and find little water in it. So I put non Ethanol in all of them in the beginning of my slow season up here ,Winter.

Are you 50 to one on that milling saw?
Yes. I mix 5 gallons at a time. Put 5 gallons in the jug and add the full bottle of Stihl mix. I try to keep at least 10 saws running at all times. I have about 50. I also have 2 Echo string trimmers and 2 Echo blowers. I mow 10-12 lawns during the summer for extra money and the trimmers and blowers get used daily, then the trimmers and blowers sit all winter. I have a DeWalt battery blower I use to blow out the garage.

Back