Gas spits out of carb on saw when running

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Efisher26

Tinkerer
Reaction score
Echo 290evl, was given to me, runs, good compression, but gas spits of carb when running, is it an adjustment or do I need a carb kit?

That is a sign of a worn piston skirt - being a piston ported engine (I think), it is not sealing off the intake port adequately as it compresses the crankcase, causing back-flow through the carb.

I had a weedeater blower with the same symptoms, and a new piston fixed it.

So I can get it to stop spitting but then I can't get to idle. Any change in opinions, or same issue?

I thought it would be a reed valve engine, but Mike Acres says it is piston ported. http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...0847ffc412ae6e7e88256d0c006b8c60?OpenDocument
If it is a reed valve engine, it would most likely be a broken valve.
Well, I haven't worked on one, so I don't know personally. I would suggest going through the carb anyway, it is probably overdue. Diaphrams are likely stiff and not working properly, needle might be a tad leaky, a new kit would likely help.
And while the carb is off, take a peek in the intake. It looks like a reed valve in the drawing online, but that isn't anything to put any money on. I didn't know Mike Acre's site listed all of those details, I'll have to look at it closer.

Yupp, it is a reed valve engine. The reed valve is integrated into the insulator and thus not listed in the IPL.
With the carb removed the valve's condition (deterioration, stuck foreign object) can be checked easily.

It could be a pulse problem to,maybe partially blocked.My p-41 spit fuel out the front of the carb,the pulse hole in the reed was partially blocked.Got it clear and it ran great.

Latest posts

Back