• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Gas thief

NIP Group
ATpro

ATpro

ArboristSite Operative
Just add a little on-road diesel to the gas, if no takers you can always use it for burn fuel by adding more diesel. If they are getting it out of your Car or a big tank there is not much you can do except lock it up. I broke my gas hijackers up unintentionally, they grabbed a can of my burn fuel and dumped it in their car.:happybanana:

SuperDuty04

SuperDuty04

ArboristSite Operative
He is stealing it by the 5gal jug full. I can set aside a 5gal jug that i know he'll steal and that I won't use. That's not an issue, been going on for years. I'm just sick of it.

MountainHigh

MountainHigh

Selective Tree whacker
I've heard the sugar thing as well ... here's an interesting video:

The Karo syrup might dissolve better but no youtubes on Karo and gas so far.:havingarest:

oh wait ... here's one with karo in oil - lol

old CB

old CB

ArboristSite Guru
Plain old water. Won't give itself away with an odor (like bleach might). It'll separate, but if someone pours a bunch into their tank from the 5-gal. container, it should cause issues aplenty. Try 1/4--1/3 strength water to gas ratio.

I've always heard sugar is deadly, but it might not stay suspended.

turnkey4099

turnkey4099

Tree Freak
Just add a little on-road diesel to the gas, if no takers you can always use it for burn fuel by adding more diesel. If they are getting it out of your Car or a big tank there is not much you can do except lock it up. I broke my gas hijackers up unintentionally, they grabbed a can of my burn fuel and dumped it in their car.:happybanana:
I used to have a 5 gallon can sitting right inside the garage. It was full of gas, paint thinner, and other assorted fluids. Never got a taker for it though.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
We all know e fuel will cause issues because the ethanol allows water to mix with the gas. Might add more ethanol (i.e. wood grain alcohol) to the gas and see how much water you can mix with it and not have it separate and stay suspended. Maybe with enough water in the gas it might cause some issues. But I'm just guessing.
Or maybe just add the wood grain alcohol to the point that it will run so lean it may make the fuel so dry with no lube quality's it might cause harm.
If you know who it is and what they are putting in in, you could donate a full can of gas to the interior of the car on the drivers seat.
Trap a skunk and put it in his car so he wont ever want to drive the car again. If he aint driving it, he might stop stealing gas to drive it.
I knew a guy that bought deer scent killer witch was skunk stink that you can buy at a walmart.
Take a large syringe and stick it through the rubber door seal and squirt it in the interior making the car stink so bad he wont drive it.
Or just torch the car and watch it burn. Poor break fluid all over his car that will destroy the paint job. Slash his tires. I wonder what break fluid added to gas will do. Knock a hole in his gas tank so the gas he steals will just run back out on the ground. Damn, I'm going a bit to far here. never mind.
If his car has any aluminum on it, spray the aluminum with EZ off oven cleaner, It will make aluminum corrode instantly and it will never come clean ever again and it will look like it's 100 years old. What ever you do, do it your own risk, you didn't hear it from me.:)

unclemoustache

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
We all know e fuel will cause issues because the ethanol allows water to mix with the gas. Might add more ethanol (i.e. wood grain alcohol) to the gas and see how much water you can mix with it and not have it separate and stay suspended. Maybe with enough water in the gas it might cause some issues. But I'm just guessing.
Or maybe just add the wood grain alcohol to the point that it will run so lean it may make the fuel so dry with no lube quality's it might cause harm.
If you know who it is and what they are putting in in, you could donate a full can of gas to the interior of the car on the drivers seat.
Trap a skunk and put it in his car so he wont ever want to drive the car again. If he aint driving it, he might stop stealing gas to drive it.
I knew a guy that bought deer scent killer witch was skunk stink that you can buy at a walmart.
Take a large syringe and stick it through the rubber door seal and squirt it in the interior making the car stink so bad he wont drive it.
Or just torch the car and watch it burn. Poor break fluid all over his car that will destroy the paint job. Slash his tires. I wonder what break fluid added to gas will do. Knock a hole in his gas tank so the gas he steals will just run back out on the ground. Damn, I'm going a bit to far here. never mind.
If his car has any aluminum on it, spray the aluminum with EZ off oven cleaner, It will make aluminum corrode instantly and it will never come clean ever again and it will look like it's 100 years old. What ever you do, do it your own risk, you didn't hear it from me.:)

Dang.........
You'd be a bad enemy to have.

buzz sawyer

buzz sawyer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Western border of mid-southern northern WV
How is the thief getting to the gas cans? Are they locked up? If you can prove who is stealing it, why not prosecute?
I don't think I would be doctoring the fuel. If something bad happens, you could be in trouble for mis-labeling the container. A good attorney could really turn this around. If the thief has easy access to your gas cans, maybe they will do a little doctoring of their own?

Capitalist

Capitalist

Addicted to ArboristSite
I always wanted to see what muriatic acid did

It eats aluminum fast. Especially cast. Straight out of the jug you can dissolve a pop can tab in 30 seconds

Reactions: svk
Blue Oaks

Blue Oaks

ArboristSite Guru
If he's been doing it for years, you must have pictures from your game cam. Let's see the perp.:picture:

People say a lot about the high cost of living in CA, but it's so expensive that stealing gas isn't going to get you by. In my neighborhood, there was an ATV stolen 20+ years ago. Nothing since that I know of.

SuperDuty04

SuperDuty04

ArboristSite Operative
Thanks guys. I've got some good ideas. Just not sure how far I want to go with it.
And no, if I've got a gas jug that I use for my fires in my shoo and someone steals it and pours it's contents into their truck, i don't think I've got any legal worries.