Geckos too narrow?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevybob

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I recently bought a par of aluminum geckos. I noticed from the start the bottom is almost too narrow for boots do to the angled part does this make sense? Anyway my boot doesn't ride on the flat part it sits above it. Any ideas?

I can get pics if this doesn't make sense lol

I assume that's your heel? And you're looking for the stirrup to sit flush with it?

My first suggestion (and i mean no offense) make sure the spurs are on the right feet. Or, make sure the pads are on the proper shanks.

If thats not the problem, i believe buckingham (i think) sells a plate that can be added to widen the stirrup. Not sure if it would be compatible. Let me know how you make out.

I climbed on geckos for around 8 mths and never really noticed that problem... Weird. Im subscribed.

Believe me everything is correct haha. The sides of my sole are what's resting on the angled sides of the spur so my "steel shank" isn't siting on the flat part of the spur kind of defeating the purpose. I've noticed te Bucks have a wide foot platform and boots sit perfect on them. Maybe the geckos are made for a narrower foot or not for use with linesmen boots? I'm not totally sold on the geckos yet might sell them and buy some titanium bucks.

I did misunserstand the post for sure. But again, never experienced that problem when i spurred in them. I was wearing haix protector lights at the time, im sure.

Frankly, i hated the geckos. Felt like ankles were always trying to roll and I didnt like the angle on the gaff, or the overall feel of them either, for that matter. They most definitely felt more cumbersome (other than the weight) than my old steel bucks.

But this is also coming from someone that hooks on pole gaffs until i just CANT.

Other than a new boot, im not sure. Maybe you could add a spacer for the shank?

Yeah I'm really not sure about these geckos. I'm kinda pissed I thought they were guna be awesome. I like them but still need some more time. I do miss my bucks though.

image.jpg
Yeah, you need more heel.
Jeff

What I'm trying to get at is the width of my sole is more then that of the flat area on the Spurs. It goes from flat to angled and the sides of my soles rest on those angles because the boot sole is wider then that flat of the spur. Know what I'm sayin?

Oh jeeze.. I thought you might of had some wiggle room on the buckle side. Thats a drag bigfoot! **** man.. I dunno? ditch those junkers. BUCKS.

Haha Ya I wear a wide boot. I never realized how narrow the geckos were. They're for sale in guna buy some titanium bucks. That's what I get for trying something new lol

Depending on what boot you wear or how wide your foot is you may or may not like them. I have a wide foot and wear big boots.

I'll sell you mine if you wana give them a try. $350 and they're yours! They only have 2 hours of use.
I was considering the Geckos, im about to retire my 10 year old Bashlin's.

I did misunserstand the post for sure. But again, never experienced that problem when i spurred in them. I was wearing haix protector lights at the time, im sure.

Frankly, i hated the geckos. Felt like ankles were always trying to roll and I didnt like the angle on the gaff, or the overall feel of them either, for that matter. They most definitely felt more cumbersome (other than the weight) than my old steel bucks.

But this is also coming from someone that hooks on pole gaffs until i just CANT.

Other than a new boot, im not sure. Maybe you could add a spacer for the shank?

Interesting,,,I have 7 climbers that love them and have for years,,
then again, they are wearing the proper boot with them,
Jeff ;)

Interesting,,,I have 7 climbers that love them and have for years,,
then again, they are wearing the proper boot with them,
Jeff ;)
To each his own i suppose. The stirrups are poorly designed for sure, and aluminum or not.. They feel clunky to me. My haix boots doubled as climbing boots for prunes, landed somewhere in the middle of both worlds. Fairly light, but also chainsaw protecrive. Put many 8+ hr spur days in with them without much problems. What do you mean by proper boot, jeff? Like a logger?

To each his own i suppose. The stirrups are poorly designed for sure, and aluminum or not.. They feel clunky to me. My haix boots doubled as climbing boots for prunes, landed somewhere in the middle of both worlds. Fairly light, but also chainsaw protecrive. Put many 8+ hr spur days in with them without much problems. What do you mean by proper boot, jeff? Like a logger?

I wear a big line man boot because I've worn loggers my whole life in just used to it. My boots fit great in my steel bucks but the geckos are just too narrow at the bottom. Got a kid who wants to buy the geckos in a week or so and then I'll be buyin bucks....... Again..... Lol lesson learned. I emailed Buckingham to find out if the titaniums use the same dimensions as the steels. If they do I will be buying titanium.

LOL,,

Like I said, you need to have a heel for it.

Jeff

I did a little digging and it turns out in not the only one with this issue. I guess the geckos have a narrow foot spot and tradition linesman boots and even phanner chainsaw boots are too wide and will rest on the edges of your sole rather then flat. My options are buy a boot that fits these or sell them and buy bucks. I'm guna go with option 2

Back