General Advice on Getting into the Field

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArborVitae

Reaction score
Hello,

I am sure this has been posted before but I am looking for general advice on getting into the field. I am in my early 30s and reasonably physically fit. I am located in North East CT. I have operated a chainsaw and felled trees for firewood and land clearing but I have not done it commercially or for work. I have not climbed trees. I would be very interested in learning every aspect of the trade. I like working outdoors and doing physical labour. Being an arborist seems like it would be fun. Any advice on how to get hired at an entry level? Is there any apprenticeship or union I could join? Is there anything I could do in terms of professional certification? I really want to learn as I work rather than in a class room.

I think I would rather do lumber cutting in the woods than be a residential arborist but open to both. Also I think cutting trees along power lines would be cool.

I would potentially be willing to relocate to the South in the future...where you can cut trees all year...

Thanks...

Latest posts

Back