Generator recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was talking to a guy that picked up wood yesterday and he said he had to order a genny from HD and the salsman said they had over 4500 orders for them after the artic storm a few weeks ago.

I have 2 Honda EU3000is gens. One is 15 years old and the other is about 5. I used the older one when I was racing and camping at the track. Both have been solid as a rock and are very quiet and great on fuel millage. They are only 110 but the bigger models can run 220. Mine hold 3 gallons and can run at full speed for 14 hours or more. They can run over 20 hours on echo mode. They are expencive but I have had great luck with them.

Some of those little Honda inverter generators have a phase sync feature (I'm sure it has a trade name from the marketing department but I don't remember it) where you can connect two of them to generate what the US calls 220 and 240. Our "220" or "240" is really just two phases of 120v 180° out from each other (so it would runs from 0v to 240v if you measured between hots with an oscilloscope, but between 0 and 120 if you measured between either hot and ground).

We also use 110 and 120 interchangeably. One house might have 122v at the service entry, another one is down a dirt road with a long aluminum wire to an old transformer and has 115v at the service entry. Seeing 118v or whatever at the outlet is normal, feel free to call that 110vac or 120 vac and people will get your meaning.

Some of those little Honda inverter generators have a phase sync feature (I'm sure it has a trade name from the marketing department but I don't remember it) where you can connect two of them to generate what the US calls 220 and 240. Our "220" or "240" is really just two phases of 120v 180° out from each other (so it would runs from 0v to 240v if you measured between hots with an oscilloscope, but between 0 and 120 if you measured between either hot and ground).

We also use 110 and 120 interchangeably. One house might have 122v at the service entry, another one is down a dirt road with a long aluminum wire to an old transformer and has 115v at the service entry. Seeing 118v or whatever at the outlet is normal, feel free to call that 110vac or 120 vac and people will get your meaning.
I have several power ups for my PC and security system and some of my power strips for my PA system have a voltage meter as well. I get 120to 122 volts at all my outlets. I have thought about linking my hondas to get two legs of 110/120. I'm not sure it it would be out of phase though. The only thing I really need 220 for is my water well. I can live without the stove, close dryer.

Parallel running Honda's gets you twice the wattage at 120v, not 240v. That feature is pretty much only for running a big AC in a travel trailer while having each individual generator be lighter and easier to move than a larger generator. If you can handle the bigger generator, a single EU3000 will cost less, burn less fuel, and make less noise than two 2200's running parallel.

Depending on your lift, maybe you can rewire the motor for 120v, which opens up lots of options.

Love my Honda 2200. There's a reason it's the bar that all the others are compared to, I don't regret paying the premium at all.

I also have a thing for Mercedes diesels and Toyota pickups.

I picked up a road side light tower that is powered by a Kubota diesel, $1500 with 1600 hours that I use as a generator. It's reliable , has it's own enclosure, holds a ton of fuel, portable and has multiple uses.
That's the deal I keep looking for!

All I'm seeing are $4k+ and 6k+ hours.

All the military generators I've seen are rusted hulks for stupid money, and parts might as well be rocking horse poo.

Looking at a 6kw Kubota powered light tower this weekend. Guy says it cranks and spins, but won't start. Not sure I want to pay what he's asking for a non runner, but will make a fair offer. Will check compression, hopefully some fuel filters or a lift pump is all it needs to get it to light off.

All the military generators I've seen are rusted hulks for stupid money, and parts might as well be rocking horse poo.

Looking at a 6kw Kubota powered light tower this weekend. Guy says it cranks and spins, but won't start. Not sure I want to pay what he's asking for a non runner, but will make a fair offer. Will check compression, hopefully some fuel filters or a lift pump is all it needs to get it to light off.

Having used the military generators in the field more times than I can remember, I won't be shopping for a used one for my personal use any time soon. :laugh:

"milspec" means it costs 100-1000x the civilian price for the same item, not that it actually works. (If you ever see me pointing and laughing at your paramilitary gear, this is part of the reason.)

Latest posts

Back