Genuine 090 in huztl cover

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ripturner

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has installed a genuine 090 piston, cylinder, crank, and bearing into an after market case such as the huztl? I have an opportunity to purchase a VERY well used (think sawed hard and put up wet) 090 that is scarred and broken but reported to run and function as it should. I intend to use the saw in a mill but I would like to replace the broken clutch cover as well as the case. To me it looks as if the chain has taken a big bite out of the case. Looking for guidance and or experience with this kind of repair. I am also trying to avoid a money pit as the saw is at the top of what I want to pay considering condition. Thanks for any assistance.

I have built a few of the 070 kits now. They will interchange part for part. If it is a true 090 you will have to get a larger clutch, the ones they sell are the smaller 3 shoe clutch for the 070. If you have any questions with assembly, I'm here and willing to help you

I have built a few of the 070 kits now. They will interchange part for part. If it is a true 090 you will have to get a larger clutch, the ones they sell are the smaller 3 shoe clutch for the 070. If you have any questions with assembly, I'm here and willing to help you
I appreciate that noodlewalker. I am new to this so all help is appreciated! The saw I am looking at does on fact have the 6 shoe clutch. Basically it is a usable saw but I would enjoy making it a bit prettier to look at. The whole deal will be off if it turns out to be a non running saw. Otherwise it will be a matter of making it aesthetically pleasing and complete. Thank you for offering your help!

I appreciate that noodlewalker. I am new to this so all help is appreciated! The saw I am looking at does on fact have the 6 shoe clutch. Basically it is a usable saw but I would enjoy making it a bit prettier to look at. The whole deal will be off if it turns out to be a non running saw. Otherwise it will be a matter of making it aesthetically pleasing and complete. Thank you for offering your help!

Would you mind telling us the price... Maybe it will belong in the "you suck" forum!! Honestly no matter what the condition is, we can make it a runner... Just depends on your budget and willingness strip it down. I have a brand new 070 kit sitting on a shelf right now, and am going to build it tomorrow, I will take some detailed pictures throughout the build that could be really helpful for you. The 070/090 is a fairly simple build, but can be intimidating because of it's size.

Would you mind telling us the price... Maybe it will belong in the "you suck" forum!! Honestly no matter what the condition is, we can make it a runner... Just depends on your budget and willingness strip it down. I have a brand new 070 kit sitting on a shelf right now, and am going to build it tomorrow, I will take some detailed pictures throughout the build that could be really helpful for you. The 070/090 is a fairly simple build, but can be intimidating because of it's size.
I am being offered the saw for $400 plus shipping. Not sure that is a you suck price but certainly at the top of my budget for a saw that certainly looks very well used. Granted I am only going to use it for Milling but I would like it to be a little more pleasing to the eye. I will keep an eye on your build progress on the 070 kit. I have sincerely considered going that route myself. I have a little bit of experience with chainsaws and lawn mowers but have never taking on a complete rebuild or for that matter putting a saw together from parts. I suppose that is what makes it all the more confusing as far as whether or not I am getting a reasonable deal. To sum it up, I need it to work for what I wanted to do but I am willing to learn how to rebuild or replace missing or worn out parts.

Well, for a genuine 090 in a rebuildable condition 400 is a great price!! That 6 shoe clutch alone would cost you about 150 to replace... Typically I have about 400 invested into building a 070 big bore (which is as close to the 090 as you can get). I order the kit, then order the 66mm top end from Germany... But I don't buy the 6 shoe clutch.. if I did that I would be up around 600.. ish. I would say 400 plus a couple hundred to fix her up, you have a great "you suck" saw! I'll be here for you as will many people watching!

Well, for a genuine 090 in a rebuildable condition 400 is a great price!! That 6 shoe clutch alone would cost you about 150 to replace... Typically I have about 400 invested into building a 070 big bore (which is as close to the 090 as you can get). I order the kit, then order the 66mm top end from Germany... But I don't buy the 6 shoe clutch.. if I did that I would be up around 600.. ish. I would say 400 plus a couple hundred to fix her up, you have a great "you suck" saw! I'll be here for you as will many people watching!
That is very reassuring to hear. Looks like the "kit" will make it whole and the genuine 090 innards will make it a fine saw. Thanks for pointing out that the parts alone are worth the price. Now to get the saw here.

That is very reassuring to hear. Looks like the "kit" will make it whole and the genuine 090 innards will make it a fine saw. Thanks for pointing out that the parts alone are worth the price. Now to get the saw here.

I'm getting ready to start the build... Is there a specific part of the saw that you would like to see a picture of just for reference?

I'm getting ready to start the build... Is there a specific part of the saw that you would like to see a picture of just for reference?
The crank and case. That is where I have concern. I will likely replace the bearings and at least the rings. Seems like a good choice considering it will be apart. How do I make sure it is in time?

The crank and case. That is where I have concern. I will likely replace the bearings and at least the rings. Seems like a good choice considering it will be apart. How do I make sure it is in time?

The bearings are just simple roller bearings they literally just sit on the crankshaft, not pressed on like typical saws there are two sets on each side (4 total) and they sit inside of this holeIMG_20190812_185517963.jpgThere are also some leather "bumpers" that sit hereIMG_20190812_185218079.jpg IMG_20190812_185212680.jpg they look like thisIMG_20190812_185150135.jpg

Be careful with the rings, they can be brittle, so don't over stretch them when installing them onto the Piston. There are locating pins in the grooves that align them correctly. Make sure they are oriented in the right direction... There is a divet on the opening of the ring that fits into the locating pin, if it is upside down, it will toast a cylinderIMG_20190812_202802662.jpg also there is an arrow on the top of the Piston, it faces toward the exhaustIMG_20190812_203313594.jpg

Here are the case halves. They are just bolted together with studs and nutsIMG_20190812_175536418.jpg IMG_20190812_175536418.jpg IMG_20190812_190718949.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190812_185517963.jpg
    IMG_20190812_185517963.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 3
Thank you for the excellent pictures and explanations. Without a doubt I will reference these when I do in fact have the saw here. I spoke with the seller yesterday and he is wrapping up a project at home. His next project is apparently making sure the saw in question is a runner. I'm very much looking forward to this project!

I fix junk saws in what most people would consider somewhere between rebuilding and restoration, so I have a strong sense of esthetics in what I do. But if a saw is going to be used for milling, does it really matter what the case looks like as long as it does what it's supposed to do? Just asking...
I suppose what it looks like really doesn't matter in the functionality of the saw but that being said for whatever OCD reasons I would like it to look a little nicer. I'll add to that that I've always been intrigued by the do-it-yourself kit saw but without any experience was hesitant to do it myself.

I suppose what it looks like really doesn't matter in the functionality of the saw but that being said for whatever OCD reasons I would like it to look a little nicer. I'll add to that that I've always been intrigued by the do-it-yourself kit saw but without any experience was hesitant to do it myself.
So... With that in mind, my question becomes why not order the 070 kit from china the 66mm top end from Germany, and the clutch set up from another online source... You would have the same money invested, and the same project... But a new saw rather than a rebuilt one?

Timing is simple... There is a groove on the crankshaft and a groove on the inside of the flywheel. A 3mm by 5mm woodruff key goes in them as you put the flywheel on. That keeps it in timeIMG_20190812_191942676.jpgits kinda hard to see in this picture, but see the notch on the crankshaft... That's where the key goes

Latest posts

Back