Genuine 090 in huztl cover

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So... With that in mind, my question becomes why not order the 070 kit from china the 66mm top end from Germany, and the clutch set up from another online source... You would have the same money invested, and the same project... But a new saw rather than a rebuilt one?
Timing is simple... There is a groove on the crankshaft and a groove on the inside of the flywheel. A 3mm by 5mm woodruff key goes in them as you put the flywheel on. That keeps it in timeView attachment 753041its kinda hard to see in this picture, but see the notch on the crankshaft... That's where the key goes

So far it seems rather straight forward to build. You have a valid question in regards to all new parts. Something to consider. Thanks for the excellent pictures and explanation to go along with them. How many hours do you typically spend on a build?

So far it seems rather straight forward to build. You have a valid question in regards to all new parts. Something to consider. Thanks for the excellent pictures and explanation to go along with them. How many hours do you typically spend on a build?

I worked on it for a couple of hours yesterday and a couple of hours on it tonight and it is completely built.. I would estimate 4-5 hours to build this one. Now I will spend an hour or so getting it running tomorrow. I build a lot of the 660 kits and I typically build 2 or even 3 at the same time.. three at a time with those is about 7-8 hours but one I could build in about 2-1/2 hours.... I took 165 pictures of this build and have them ready for reference for you when you decide to start the process, whichever way you decide to go. Also if you need help sourcing parts I have made a lot of connections across the country and can point you in the right direction if necessary. I'm looking forward to seeing it come alive.

I worked on it for a couple of hours yesterday and a couple of hours on it tonight and it is completely built.. I would estimate 4-5 hours to build this one. Now I will spend an hour or so getting it running tomorrow. I build a lot of the 660 kits and I typically build 2 or even 3 at the same time.. three at a time with those is about 7-8 hours but one I could build in about 2-1/2 hours.... I took 165 pictures of this build and have them ready for reference for you when you decide to start the process, whichever way you decide to go. Also if you need help sourcing parts I have made a lot of connections across the country and can point you in the right direction if necessary. I'm looking forward to seeing it come alive.
I appreciate your assistance very much! In all likelihood I will go ahead and buy the kit. If worse comes to worse I will just build it as it is. I figure it is a fantastic learning experience and still gets me 105 cc's of Milling power. I'm going to give the seller a couple weeks to come up with the saw and if the deal falls through will source the 099 top end and clutch. As you pointed out, it would be a brand new machine.

I appreciate your assistance very much! In all likelihood I will go ahead and buy the kit. If worse comes to worse I will just build it as it is. I figure it is a fantastic learning experience and still gets me 105 cc's of Milling power. I'm going to give the seller a couple weeks to come up with the saw and if the deal falls through will source the 099 top end and clutch. As you pointed out, it would be a brand new machine.

What size of bar at you planning on milling with? I only ask because I mill with a 42" bar and use a 660 big bore... It has plenty of power to pull it at 97cc. I do use auxiliary oiling for the bar though and is wayyyyy lighter and less bulky than the 070..

What size of bar at you planning on milling with? I only ask because I mill with a 42" bar and use a 660 big bore... It has plenty of power to pull it at 97cc. I do use auxiliary oiling for the bar though and is wayyyyy lighter and less bulky than the 070..
Honestly I was considering a 36 inch bar. That would handle the majority of what I will be milling. The granberg mill I use now is the small log mill intended for use with 20 inch or less bars. That will need an additional upright added.

Do you use the import bearings or replace them with oem? That was another thought I had.

Honestly I was considering a 36 inch bar. That would handle the majority of what I will be milling. The granberg mill I use now is the small log mill intended for use with 20 inch or less bars. That will need an additional upright added.

Do you use the import bearings or replace them with oem? That was another thought I had.

I honestly don't know about the upright question... I built my own mill. HUZTL has a 42" mill that will hold from an 18" bar up to a 42" bar for like 150 delivered. I have never upgraded the bearings in any of the kits I have built (over a hundred) over the past few years, and have never heard from anyone about them failing. I have sold many saws country wide to many logging companies. They all have my personal number and I remain in touch with them... I can't personally comment on the bearings because I own my saws for a short period of time... I build them, then use them then sell them. It's been a fun hobby basically. But I would say the failure rate is low based on that knowledge... Now, that being said I am not a daily chainsaw operator, and am not using that information to persuade you one way or another. There is a lot of different opinions on many components within these kits... Bearings included. My personal feeling is such that I build them as a hobby and they are easy and cheap to fix so downtime to me doesn't correspond with money loss. If mine breaks, I just tear it apart and put it back together so inexpensive ones don't scare me. Most saw operators don't want the risk... I would urge you to do actual research into it and make your own personal decision on what parts to swap out.

If you are planning on going to use no more than a 36, why go with the 090?? Again not trying to persuade you either direction, just curious. The ms660 is rated to do a 36 and has plenty of power... If you throw the big bore on there you have all of the saw you will ever need and 10 lbs lighter?? I get it though, if you just simply "want" a 090 and the price is right. I want one too, but I never want to actually run it because of it's size!!

I honestly don't know about the upright question... I built my own mill. HUZTL has a 42" mill that will hold from an 18" bar up to a 42" bar for like 150 delivered. I have never upgraded the bearings in any of the kits I have built (over a hundred) over the past few years, and have never heard from anyone about them failing. I have sold many saws country wide to many logging companies. They all have my personal number and I remain in touch with them... I can't personally comment on the bearings because I own my saws for a short period of time... I build them, then use them then sell them. It's been a fun hobby basically. But I would say the failure rate is low based on that knowledge... Now, that being said I am not a daily chainsaw operator, and am not using that information to persuade you one way or another. There is a lot of different opinions on many components within these kits... Bearings included. My personal feeling is such that I build them as a hobby and they are easy and cheap to fix so downtime to me doesn't correspond with money loss. If mine breaks, I just tear it apart and put it back together so inexpensive ones don't scare me. Most saw operators don't want the risk... I would urge you to do actual research into it and make your own personal decision on what parts to swap out.

If you are planning on going to use no more than a 36, why go with the 090?? Again not trying to persuade you either direction, just curious. The ms660 is rated to do a 36 and has plenty of power... If you throw the big bore on there you have all of the saw you will ever need and 10 lbs lighter?? I get it though, if you just simply "want" a 090 and the price is right. I want one too, but I never want to actually run it because of it's size!!
I think the reason I want the 090 is simply that, a matter of want. I can't imagine that I would ever need to increase the cubic centimeter displacement or find it wanting for power. I have access to an 056 Magnum that checks in at 94 cc's. For a 36-inch bar I'm sure that would be sufficient but as I had said earlier the build process of a kit combined with the possibility of installing genuine parts into that kit to make it a reliable saw appeals to me. I work in medical imaging so there is not a lot of end product that I get to see or a real tangible result to a day's labor short of pictures. I like the thought of building something and being able to say that I have done it. I guess that gigantic chainsaw has been a quest item since I got interested in sawmilling. After the divorce sweepstakes I no longer had access to my ex father-in-law's Frick sawmill. That was a good time! Payday is right around the corner and I believe they kit will be ordered and waiting 4 the gentleman Who currently owns the chainsaw to get back to me. If the deal falls through then I will follow your idea with a genuine top end but I will likely Source these 6 shoe clutch to go with it. Call me crazy but it sounds like a good adventure to me! I forgot to mention that I have a 16 year old son who is also very interested in sawmilling. There are far more hazardous things he could be interested in so I'm sure the extra weight won't be a bother for him at all!

I failed to address the bearing issue. My thought was then if I were to put an original crank into an after-market case then I would use original bearings. Otherwise if I were to just put a top end on I would most likely use the aftermarket fairings that came with the saw kit. It's very hard to get a good idea of whether or not the bearings are any good as I feel there are some people who are biased whether they have experience or not. That's not to talk poorly of anyone and I certainly understand the concern about some of the foreign-made bearing sets. I will add to that, I own a hammer drill that was purchased at Harbor Freight. It cost me the huge sum of $20 nearly three years ago. It gets used regularly and hasn't let me down yet.

I think you have a great idea and have obviously thought it through. I started the one I built last night, so I'm excited to see you progress through the build. I'll be here when you get ready!

Back