Get your wood ready, they're calling this one "Frankenstorm".

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we got lucky if you look at what happened on the coast.. lost power for a hour or two.. some branches in the yard.. heck even my wood tarp survived.

Our 84 year old neighbor lady lost two ~ 12" diameter oaks. She wanted to pay me to get them out of her yard. I told her (politely) to keep her money and just hauled them off to the firewood work area behind my barn, about half a cord that I will cut up and burn. Nice straight grain, didn't think we had winds that strong but one snapped off cleanly at ground level, the other about midway up the tree. I told her I would come back and remove the rest of the one that was snapped in half after it dries out a bit.

Last edited:
I'm sitting in front of the Hampton H200 which is loaded with ash and showing a nice secondary combustion, and cranking out the heat. I don't think I'll even light the big stove tonight, unless I feel like basking in the warmth. Yeah, this wood heat thing is for the birds.

The new generator is heating the water tank for the shower I'll be taking in a fee minutes. It's running great and has maybe used 1/8 of a quart of oil so far. I hauled another load of white oak down to the house, and knocked the juicy poison ivy vines off the large white ash that we cleared off the road yesterday. Tomorrow I'll haul that up to a processing area and make heat for next year.

I think it will be several days until the power is back on.

No problems here at all from the storm.

For all you tarp guys.....The best thing to cover firewood is roofing tin(actually now it's all aluminized steel). You can get it for free if someone is knocking down an old barn, or if you have a MFC of tin roofing anywhere close, call them ask for seconds or culls. We have a place nearby that always put's their seconds over delivered new tin to protect it. The seconds might be bent or scratched a little here and there, but it has never had any holes in it. I have used these seconds from everything from chicken coop's to sheds. You can flip up a 16' section of tin onto a stack in seconds, then lay a few splits on it to keep it from blowing off. It will last a lifetime, and stacks breath much better that with tarps since you should not cover the sides anyway. Any rain that gets on the sides of a stack will do no harm and will dry off quickly.

Still no power....but the phone has been restored so i have internet again. Genny has been humming since monday am. This Halloween has been so much better than last year's.

No power here yet in upper Bucks Co. PA either. Had a scare that I lost my genny, turned out to be the magnetic pick up on the flywheel got launched somewhere.

Nice guy I know who owns the local small engine shop tossed a complete replacement engine my way that he said was getting in his way, so I swapped flywheels and I'm good to go.

He told me well settle up later, damn nice guy. It pays to patronize your local small guys and not the big box sluts all the time. :msp_smile:

No problems here at all from the storm.

For all you tarp guys.....The best thing to cover firewood is roofing tin(actually now it's all aluminized steel). You can get it for free if someone is knocking down an old barn, or if you have a MFC of tin roofing anywhere close, call them ask for seconds or culls. We have a place nearby that always put's their seconds over delivered new tin to protect it. The seconds might be bent or scratched a little here and there, but it has never had any holes in it. I have used these seconds from everything from chicken coop's to sheds. You can flip up a 16' section of tin onto a stack in seconds, then lay a few splits on it to keep it from blowing off. It will last a lifetime, and stacks breath much better that with tarps since you should not cover the sides anyway. Any rain that gets on the sides of a stack will do no harm and will dry off quickly.

Depends on the wind. I had some old tin here in a stack on the ground with a railroad tie on it. The wind folded the tin right over it. Creased it. It held but still..that's a lot o power. And I have had to repair and replace roofing that pulled right off and went sailing, and that was nailed down!

I would be worried about flying sheets of metal in any real windstorm of any size.

I think your idea has merit over a tarp, but I would really tie that sucker down. Anchor it at the ends and middle, and not rely on just some odd chunks of wood to hold it down.

And Kentucky, Michigan and New York here too...THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS! :msp_smile:

Ran into 6 More brand new Bucket trucks and crews from Trees inc. out of Grand rapids, heading towards East Pennsy.
The gent I talked to, said they stayed behind untill things settled here, and were backing up a bigger crew already in NY.

More is on the way guys, hang in there.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Line crews from our fair state are going that way. Don't worry, they won't move there.:msp_smile:

When people with green pants show up, they are from the agency I retired from. They'll do well. They send their fire teams to disasters when asked, and became the Go To People in the Katrina mess for getting things done.

Hang in there.

Still no power....but the phone has been restored so i have internet again. Genny has been humming since monday am. This Halloween has been so much better than last year's.
Yeah, we're still out too - but then as a First Energy customer I don't expect much. I can't count how many PPL trucks and crews I've seen, but I've only seen one First Energy truck, and that was at the local gas station getting coffee. The gas station was running on a generator.:msp_biggrin:

I was dismayed to see that somewhere along the way they installed some disconnect fuses down at the end of road, which means now they can just cut off this little dead end road and pass us by until later. I figure maybe by the end of the weekend they may get to us, but they have to replace two poles and a transformer, as well as splice wires, just to get 9 houses back up.

For us this has been a walk in the park compared to last year's snow storm - no one got hurt and nothing significant got damaged other than some fencing. I know an enormous amount of other people are suffering though.

hey, tomtrees and redray!

You guys OK?

Garden Goddess's #2 son down there in chinatown, we haven't heard from him since day before the storm hit. she's gotten a bit antsy as to be expected..

Non Union Power Crews told to "GO HOME"

I may start a riot with this but here it is.

This is what I know to be a fact.
I work for the electric dept in Decatur Alabama.
We got an invite to come up to New Jersey to help to restore power.
Huntsville, Al and Joe Wheeller EMC also got the same invite.
Huntsville, being the largest by far, put 4- crews together. Each Huntsville crew had 4- men and 4- trucks.
Decatur's crew and 6- men and 5- trucks. Joe Wheeller's crew has 4- men and 4- trucks.

Being only 25 miles apart the crews formed a convoy and drove up to the meeting place in New Jersey.
Shortley after arriving they were all told to "GO HOME". You are all Non-Union Crews and you will not be allowed to work on our electric systems.

Millions of people without power and the stuff like this goes on.
It was reported on one of the local TV stations WAFF 48.

David

Huntsville, being the largest by far, put 4- crews together. Each Huntsville crew had 4- men and 4- trucks.
Decatur's crew and 6- men and 5- trucks. Joe Wheeller's crew has 4- men and 4- trucks.

Being only 25 miles apart the crews formed a convoy and drove up to the meeting place in New Jersey.
Shortley after arriving they were all told to "GO HOME". You are all Non-Union Crews and you will not be allowed to work on our electric systems.

David

I went and looked and found an update on that. Those guys got buffaloed by some union guys, but not the utility company. That's a big difference. The utility company claims they never turned anyone away. Jow blow WORKER for a company is not in a position to issue orders like that. Those guys from alabama just got faked out. Perhaps anyway, just reading various reports.

I'd like to see some videos of the incident. Seems this day and age with cellphone vids being easy and common, one of the "turned away" guys would have videoed this confrontation, as it obviously would havbe been both big and important news. As it is now, with reports of "non union" crews working all over the mid atlantic states, that appears to have been a rather unfortunate but isolated incident.

David

Anyone want to defend those unions now with **** like this going on?

I am SURE this is happening everywhere. I know for a fact of one incident where PENNDOT and PECO were arguing over who was responsible for a tree over a major roadway and on wires which delayed its removal for several days.

I STILL don't have power here and don't expect it anytime soon even though I'm on a busy north/south artery and hundreds of cars pass under the dead tree laying on the power wires over the road with the wires laying in the lane of traffic.

:ah::choler::what:

As it is now, with reports of "non union" crews working all over the mid Atlantic states, that appears to have been a rather unfortunate but isolated incident.

Of course they are but I would bet a weeks pay that these union guys are giving the non "members" a hell of a time trying to get any work done.

Back