ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Traverse Creek Inc

Getting new well tanks - anything I should add?

mncutter

mncutter

ArboristSite Lurker
Nice work! I’ve enjoyed seeing the progress with your system. Are you concerned about erosion on the hillside (along road perhaps)? I’m not very familiar with the climate in your area.

Blue Oaks

Blue Oaks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Nice work! I’ve enjoyed seeing the progress with your system. Are you concerned about erosion on the hillside (along road perhaps)? I’m not very familiar with the climate in your area.

Thanks! I'm glad I decided to handle it instead of farming it out to the well guys. I'm not concerned about erosion. The pad is set into a rocky knoll on the hill and should be stable for a long time, and the road is really just a five foot wide one that will never see any vehicle traffic. It's so steep that it's tricky to walk up or down it without your feet slipping out from under you. The climate here can range from 15 to 50 inches of rain in a year. The ground is loamy from oak leaves falling on it for a million years, but about a foot down it's clay with some rocks.

Here's a pic showing the output from one of the tanks with a hose spigot at the ready. The vertical is the fill pipe from the well.

80-20210407_184259_798161e741447eb973c2ede79307cb3b5e9c4136.jpg

Here's the main supply coming from the hill (from the right in the photo), and splitting off to the two houses. You still see some dog leg pipes still attached to the old steel tank. I'll clean that up. On the upper right you can see the 1" electrical conduit for the float switch and 1" fill pipe from the well.

80-well_connections_f39e4f662206a93d9769389dccba0267648a7d72.jpg

holeycow

holeycow

Dirt, Air, Water, Sun; Seeds.
No pressure pumps! Woohoo!

wish I could say the same. Nope. 3. Occasionally problematic. Sometimes a nightmare.

I bet you're happy with that! Congrats! That will last a long, long time.

ps, since you have power there, if you're concerned with freezing a valve, you could use a "heat tape" and some insulation to virtually eliminate that possibility. I agree with the ball valve vs gate valve frost resistance comment.

you may have no idea what I'm talking about, but it's a common application for heat tape.

yup, you could use some pipe insulation and heat tape, or a heated box to enclose all the valves and above ground pipes.

or not

Blue Oaks

Blue Oaks

Addicted to ArboristSite
No pressure pumps! Woohoo!

wish I could say the same. Nope. 3. Occasionally problematic. Sometimes a nightmare.

I bet you're happy with that! Congrats! That will last a long, long time.

ps, since you have power there, if you're concerned with freezing a valve, you could use a "heat tape" and some insulation to virtually eliminate that possibility. I agree with the ball valve vs gate valve frost resistance comment.

you may have no idea what I'm talking about, but it's a common application for heat tape.

yup, you could use some pipe insulation and heat tape, or a heated box to enclose all the valves and above ground pipes.

or not

Thanks! I'm very happy not hearing the pressure pump kicking on and off. Plus it's now a simpler system and I've opened up a nice slot on the breaker panel.

I'm not too concerned with the temps. The worst case I think I'll see is low 20's F, and that would be once every ten years. It's much more likely the temp will drop to 27 F for a few hours, a few times each winter. The piping at the tanks is not a concern since the water tanks themselves are a pretty large thermal reservoir. The only real concern is at the manifold and it'll be wrapped with insulation. On those cold nights I usually get paranoid and crack open a hose to get some flow. But, it's CA at only 700 feet of elevation, so I'm not too worried.