Getting Rid of Nasty Poplars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilbilt

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am hoping for advice on how to permanently get rid of these things. I admit I planted them around my place 15-20 years ago because I needed some quick, cheap shade. It seemed like a good idea at the time. :dizzy:

Over the years, many have rotted/died/blown down, but they always re-sprout.

I dropped one last weekend that was in bad shape (they seem to be affected by some kind of borer) and have two left, the largest of which is full of mistletoe. I am confident I can remove the remaining two trees without much drama, but is there any way I can prevent the shoots from re-sprouting all over the yard?

I go around about once a year and hack them down, chopping the roots below the ground, but they always come back. Whenever one of the trees comes down, the shoots appear with a vengeance the next Spring.

I have had good luck killing stumps by boring 1" holes into them and packing them with stump rot or the septic treatment bacteria- I then cover with a little mulch to keep the bacteria from drying out.

2Door

I have had good luck killing stumps by boring 1" holes into them and packing them with stump rot or the septic treatment bacteria- I then cover with a little mulch to keep the bacteria from drying out.

The problem is not so much the stumps, but the sprouts that come up from the shallow roots some distance from the actual tree. Do you think the stump rot would be effective if applied to the roots as well?

I use the Round Up method. Same as mentioned in previous posts. Drill 1" holes and fill with full strength Round Up brush killer. I did this last year with Box Elder stumps. Too early to tell if I was successful.
ZG

Whenever you cut most trees they can/will resprout from the cut and any surface roots. The solution I use (in pastures) is to use a herbicide on the stump at the time of cutting. Tordon RTU, available at agricultural supply stores, works well for this but read the label instructions to see if your use is compliant with the instructions. Also be careful as it can travel through the root system to adjacent non-target trees.

Once it has started sprouting you could spray the sprouts with herbicide in late spring, when their growth is vigorous, and let them die. You might need the brush killer type herbicides sold in home stores rather than roundup - read the label to see what each targets. Once completely dead (month or two?) then cut them. That method might carry the herbicide back into the root ball and minimize future resprouting.

Thanks for the replies...I'll try the brush killer method.

"Normal" Round Up doesn't do much to the shoots, just withers them a bit.

Copper nails kill stumps. Havent done it myself but apparently it works.

Thanks for the replies...I'll try the brush killer method.

"Normal" Round Up doesn't do much to the shoots, just withers them a bit.

wilbilt,

When you cut the poplar, paint the stumps with 2-4-D or "Crossbow".

Crossbow is 2-4-D based with other herbicides for a broad spectrum of woody plants. The stuff is evil on brush, broadleaves, vines, and most trees.

Plain old 2-4-D can be bought at farm and fleet or TSC without a Lisc. for homeowner use in most states, and is pretty safe...as herbicides go.
It will not kill grass, but will flat out kill just about all else. It's the primary ingredient in weed&feed and other broad leaf mixes.
It's the cheaper route. A gallon of 49% will run about 20 bucks normally.
Just cut the suckers and paint the stuff on straight, spring through early fall.
Paint the stumps after cutting. Just remember that Poplars root together and if you spritz one stump, they all get slimed through the roots.

The stuff works on the outside of the root tissues, so be carefull around woody desireables in close proximity, and mind the wind direction if you spray. One errant whiff will travel 30' and wipe out morning glories...don't ask how I know.

Follow ALL application precautions, wear safty glasses, rubber gloves, long sleeves, and wash the stuff off asap if you get it on your skin.
Follow label rates as always.

If you apply in the spring, one thing I learned was to re-apply a week later and mix 50-50 with diesel as a sticker. If applied in the fall, time application with the roots drawing sap.

Good luck!
Dingeryote

we use diesel or timberel brushwood killer. copper nails an creasote also works.

hth, david. :)

Latest posts

Back