Getting started in competing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Knight

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I haven't been able to find any information on local shows or competitions (Louisville, KY) just searching the web. How do you get started in Timbersports? What is the best resource for finding events/competitions?

There are a couple of shows in KY. Google KY wood expo and KY lumberjack. Also google lumberjack, timbersports, woodsmen axeman, axemen and etc. Realize that a two hour drive is considered close by in this sport. The best way to start is by checking the web sites and going to the shows. The smaller shows are the best places to start competing, but, unfortunatly, much information about them is word of mouth. That's where going to the shows and talking to people comes in. I've got to believe that there is some little fair in your area that has stocksaw racing. Check the local county fairs, there might be something there.

The Stihl timbersports website had instructional videos. Equipment can be had from Bailey's. (If you want to chop, start with underhand, it is the safest, and never, ever chop w/o foot protection) I would suggest starting with axe throw using a cheapo hardware store axe, and finding someplace with stocksaw or saw provided stocksaw. Just practice, send an entry and go race. With run what you brung "stocksaw" you need to know the rules. Some in some places stock means pure stock, in others it means an alcohol burning race saw without the tuned pipe. Another good place to start is the Get Togehers that folks on this site have every once in a while.

Hope this helps.

I'm new here, but I build for these guys;

www.sawalumberjacks.com

They do some events in the mountains of NC, might be a drive for you though. Some of the members have been all over competing and may have some links for you, great bunch of people.

SSWaters

Back