getting started in timbersports (in UK)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawsong

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
hey guys, im looking for some help and advice. im looking to start out in timbersports as an extension of my tree work and as a sporting outlet and fitness thing, plus it just looks damned cool. but where on earth do i start? i mean what do i need? i cant find anything on the net actually explaining technniques and detailed information on the different disciplines enough to teach myself, and i dont know if stihl's competitors training dvd is worth the hassle of getting sent from the USA,

also if anyone can shed any light on how to get involved in this at a competitive level in the UK that would be great, i cant find any websites or anything

thanks

James

I would start with a descent college axe and a good M-tooth crosscut. Neither are too expensive and better than half of the events are crosscut and chopping. Those two items should give you a good workout and a good start, when you master them then put the money down on a good tuitahi axe and a peg and raker saw. REED ALL YOU CAN and find someone in your area who competes and learn all you can from them, this sport has always been good to newbies. I started with the race saws and learned the chopping/sawing later, now that I think back on it I would have started the other way around.

Also find out what shows they do and what events they run in your area. Your first competitions will be the best learning you can do, enter every event they will let you enter, even if you have to use your grandpa's old crosscut saw or your work axe. Most of all HAVE FUN.

thanks loads for that :)

any suggestions where to get such things from? when i google college axe i get nothing related at all, and googling m tooth crosscut saws only seems to bring up 'the history of' type sites:confused:

ive seen the keech college speed axe i think it's called, and heard the name langdon batted about but again, i cant find any listings of places selling them

Last edited:
Check with Baileys (one of the site sponsors). I know they have tui M-tooths in stock. I don't think they show axes on the online catalog but if you called or e-mailed them they probably have them.

Advice in getting started

Sawsong, you are right there isn’t much information available on the web, as far as technique goes. Probably the best way to get started is to know or have access to someone who is or has competed. I am fortunate as a beginner to have a team at my college that I joined. I have had some coaching, but am still looking for more training and experience. I have just ordered the Stihl Competitor’s Training DVD and will let you know how helpful it is. Tuatahi also lists an instructional DVD on their website as well. I haven’t heard of any timber sport competition in the UK before, I don’t know if there is any. If there are any competitors located near you, contacting one of them is your best bet to getting started in the sport. Good luck, and let us know if you have anymore questions.

yeah, there certainly appears to be 'some' even if not a huge amount. it seems we had the european championships here this year at a rural craft show or similar, from that site

The event is being organised by The British Lumberjack Sports Association. Details about entering can be obtained from David Hands 01435 882597.

i guess in lieu of the fact i cannot find any website for the association (probably their biggest downfall without a doubt) I shall give this guy a call on the offchance

yeah, there certainly appears to be 'some' even if not a huge amount. it seems we had the european championships here this year at a rural craft show or similar, from that site

i guess in lieu of the fact i cannot find any website for the association (probably their biggest downfall without a doubt) I shall give this guy a call on the offchance

http://www.apfexhibition.co.uk/page27.html

Mc Bob.

info

Did you find out any info ' Sawsong? I watched Adams Axemen at the weekend and it got me interested in finding out more about this sport.

thanks so much dude. I'm gonna order one of them as soon as i can!

'number6' not managed to find anything else out just yet mate, will be sure to keep you posted on any developments.

Jim

sport

Thanks Sawsong. Watched 'Adams Axemen ' last weekend at a nearby country show , had a go with their vintage 'Diston ' Saw that they had in the arena .
Great fun. They were all using 'Tuatahui' axes for the chopping display .

Back