Gifted Stihl MS441C Magnum w/ scored piston! HELP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWhiteLotus

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon! Newbie here! As the title states i was gifted a MS441C Magnum (from a friends company) that was used maybe 4 times before the employees ran it with not enough oil and caused piston scoring. It still cranks but the piston/cylinder will definitely need to be replaced. Im not much of a small engine mechanic but my buddy said to buy a new piston/cynlinder kit and we can have a go at trying to fix it. What else COULD possibly be wrong with it if ran with gas and not enough oil. If i can fix it for a few hundred itd be a hell of a deal since i was it was given to me for free! thanks in advance everyone

Thanks a bunch! Do you have a link for that? Just a piston kit im finding for around 20-30 bucks on ebay but the piston/cylinder kit is around 100 bucks!

assess
[əˈses]
[more]
"it is difficult to assess whether this is a new trend"
synonyms:
evaluate · judge · gauge · rate · estimate · appraise · form an opinion of · check out · form an impression of · make up one's mind about · get the measure of · determine ·
[more]
weigh up · analyze · size up

Sorry, I am getting old.....

ohh gotcha! im new to these chainsaws but my buddy has done a rebuild or two and works on little 50cc dirt bike engines so hes going to help. he thought the cylinder and piston would need to be replaced with the damage seen on the piston, but thats just looking through with the muffler gone. Stihl dealer quoted be about 600 bucks without looking at it

Yeah agreed. Lookin at something like this

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-08-20-18-23-08.png
    Screenshot_2019-08-20-18-23-08.png
    691.1 KB · Views: 16
Back