Gifted Stihl MS441C Magnum w/ scored piston! HELP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May have only been used 4 days, but it looks like it was dragged behind the truck to the job site. What in the world were they cutting with that saw? From the crud all over the saw body, it looks like they were cutting tree roots below ground level.
Twas used all day for 4 days i was told. Didn't really dig in since he was giving me it for free.

I have a mmws 441 as my felling saw and the thing is a beast.
If you can at all swing it, get OEM C&P and send it to one of the guys here for porting.

Originally the 441 was a maligned saw for some reason..... I have not found that at all.
It’s an incredible tool set up correctly.
Yours was straight gassed but free is free.
It’s worth dropping a few hundred into it :D

Agreed! This is more saw than ill ever need. Hell, my echo cs590 is probably a bit overkill for my needs but ive found chainsaws damn interesting and can't stop looking for more. Im not looking to spend a ton of cash to get it running, so i don't know that ill go the OEM route. Admittedly i dont know exactly what im looking for replacement wise other than a piston/cylinder kit for a ms441c magnum. Id love to confirm with all of you once i find one I think will work. If any of you get bored and want to help find a kit, ill buy ya beers if you ever make it out to reno/carson city!!! Thanks!

HarleyT, ill get serial # when i get home!

Agreed! This is more saw than ill ever need. Hell, my echo cs590 is probably a bit overkill for my needs but ive found chainsaws damn interesting and can't stop looking for more. Im not looking to spend a ton of cash to get it running, so i don't know that ill go the OEM route. Admittedly i dont know exactly what im looking for replacement wise other than a piston/cylinder kit for a ms441c magnum. Id love to confirm with all of you once i find one I think will work. If any of you get bored and want to help find a kit, ill buy ya beers if you ever make it out to reno/carson city!!! Thanks!

Be very careful, you might have contracted the dreaded CAD, there is no known cure. It’s best if you just send it to a good home in Calif., I know a guy.

If you don't need it, you'll likely end up selling it.
Look around at existing sales... Saws with AfterMarket parts ...especially the heart of the saw... don't sell very well.
I'll give it a rest now :D
Good luck!

Ill definitely be keeping it around if i get it running! Itll be used occassionally for some oak cutting at a buddy's ranch.

441 and 441c same top end.

Doesn’t look used 4 times or 4 days. If it’s that new, was a warranty claim attempted?

Make sure you chase down what actually caused the damage, as you will just ruin the new top end if you just replace it.

“Not enough oil”. Does that mean they straight gassed it? Are you sure that that isn’t just an excuse?

Not sure if the 441 is auto tune or not. Just make sure someone knowledgeable is there when you start and run it after repairs are done.

Meteor is generally regarded as the best quality in an aftermarket cylinder.

Hyway and Farmertec/Huztl seem to be decent if your budget is very tight.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

I haven't done anything with it yet! IN reply to the earlier comment, i was told they were mixing one capful of oil in the tank then adding gas instead of premixing....why? i dont know! And i agree it looks pretty haggard but like someone else said....free is free and if i can get it running thatd be radical! If not, no biggie.

Latest posts

Back