Give your serious thoughts on saw for old guy.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Snyder

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I had an old friend come in today; I've known him about as long as I've known anyone, went thru the school grades with his son.

He had a fairly new looking 026, had pulled the handle off the rope (three times he said).I am going to look for reasons for unusually hard starting.

This man is 78, about 5' 10", and about 140. He is no amature, 25 years ago, he cut as much wood as anyone around these parts. He has just got old and weak, but he absolutely won't have anything to do with "one of those saws that run mini chain".

He needs a saw about 1 1/2 lbs lighter than the 026, with decompression and maybe primer purge. I got Jonsered, Solo, and Efco and I didn't have any thing very suitable.

Anybody got any serious suggestions? Heck, I would go with him to buy something and help him with it If I needed to.

Stihl 025c, the elder gent is familiar with Stihl he should like the 025c. It has features that make it easy to start, primer, elasto-start etc.

Pretty much anything smaller than the 026 is going to run 3/8" low pro chain.
Have you put one of the Stihl Elasto-Start handles on his 026 for him? It's amazing how much easier a saw starts using one. I put one on an old 046 that had oversize rope and a lawnmower handle on it and it started as easy as my 026. My boss couldn't believe how easy his old saw started with it.

I'm not familiar with everything that is out there nowadays.

What he needs is about a 9 1/2 pound dry weight, about 44 or more cc, a compression release, and possible a primer? (must run .325 chain)

I don't have anything much lighter than what he has got that doesn't run mini.

Personal choice for an older gentleman you're describing would be a Husky 351. It has a decompression valve for the easy starts AND has the lowest vibration level of any saw out there. It has a magnesium crankcase so its more durable than the plastic crankcase crap and you can run it with ex. a 16" bar and full chisel 3/8" chain and be laughing all the way. It is very close to the 346xp which is in a class of its own, while being much more forgiving to an "older saw user" with more low end torque. Check them out for yourself at the dealer(s).:blob2:

A Stihl 025 or Husky 345.
The 345 uses .325 chain, has a decompressor, will handle 13" to 18" bar with its 3 hp. The Stihl o25 is also very similar in specs.

023 or 025

I agree with sedanman , I have the 023 it is light and easily pulled... yes he might be stubborn but the mini chain will cut wood like the big chain if kept sharp...... my dad uses my 023 and he likes it very well

Originally posted by Tony Snyder
he absolutely won't have anything to do with "one of those saws that run mini chain".

bigger chain unfortunately brings more weight (in this case) the lighter ones wont pull 3/8" properly.

sounds like like it was said already, anything witha compression release, don't underestimate them old guys i bucked logs behind an old faller in 81 in northern calif. , he was 72 and carried a2100 husky with a 42" bar, and and got around like a kid.

Tony-
Have you put an Elasto-Start handle on the 026 for him? I have to believe that if he can't start an 026 with Elasto-Start, he probably doesn't need to be running a saw any more. :(

I just tend to think along the lines of making what I have work rather than running out and replacing everything when I have a problem with it. He could waste a lot of money and STILL not be able to run a saw.

shoot my dad was 71 and i thot id help him get his winter wood up. the man like toa killed me. and its usually me doing that to others. or at least it was then.
i never forgot that.kinda helps keep things in balance when u think u pretty tough. always somebody tougher around somewhere. and he mite be a old man.:)
heck my son presses 350 ,but i noticed rowing the boat the other day,he was struggling to stay with his old man.
no idea why that seems to be the case ,but sometimes is. on second thot i do know. its the ability , skill or whatever of paceing yourself.,an gettin that 2nd wind.

Tony I would say a Husky 350 would be a good choice. Has good power to weight, can run .325 chisel, and has one of the lowest vibration levels of any saw avail. Should keep the old man happy. Plus you can get one for $279

Otherwise I would say a Shindaiwa 488 if money is not an issue

I agree with Husky. My dad has a 350 and likes it. He's 80 now. The compression release and low vibration are two big pluses. I have to keep resisting the temptation to have it Greffardized for him.

what about a 260 pro with the decompression, you are still at 10 lb and change, but going lighter with less hp may make for slower cutting and more work if the wood is at all sizable.
Cut quicker and take longer breaks?

I wonder if it might be possible to add a decompression valve to a regular 260, The cover of the non "pro" modle just has the hole pluged with a piece of plastic. I bet putting a "pro" head on it would achieve a decompression valve.

Timberwolf

All these responses suggesting Husky 350/351; I noticed the threadparent's announcement that he sells Jonsereds, Solo, and Efco, and last I checked the jonsy 2149 was a Husky 351, only prettier in that lovely red dress.

Sad to say, if there is a 9.5 lb limit, it will be extremely hard to find a decent saw that still has the "feel" I think Mr Snyder is looking for. I've got a feeling he's not up to trying to put him in a tophandle, and while there are a few older saws that came close to that weight (Homie S-EZ, XL-100, for example) they have no anti-vibe (if you find a good one that doesn't need major surgery!)

Are you sure that the 2149/2150 won't do?

I agree with Timberwolf, find something he wants to run and put a de-comp valve on it. How about a loop starter handle. The primers don't seem to help much unless you run it dry. I would rather take the aircleaner off and splash some fuel in the carb.
But thats just me.

Onthehillintn

Originally posted by Onthehillintn
I would rather take the aircleaner off and splash some fuel in the carb.
But thats just me.

Onthehillintn

yeah, but thats not really practical in this case, is it? The guy seems to want a saw that most of us would want:
easy time to get to work not a bunch of trickery to start a saw....

Latest posts

Back