ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Giving vs. keeping

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by unclemoustache, May 18, 2019.

1. unclemoustache

unclemoustache My 'stache is bigger than yours.

A family in our homeschool group was suddenly finding themselves getting sick. Turns out they have mold in the house. They vacated, made calls, and were quoted $8,000 just to do the tear out and abatement- not for putting drywall back on and fixing all the tear out .
    So I rallied the troops and asked people to show up for a work day and give money. We had a dozen show up and some money was given. Second work day, about 8 showed up (mostly the same people) but money still came in. This morning is the third day- I think we’ll get about 3 people.
    The thing is, we have 160 families in out group- that’s about 600 people.
    Maybe $2,100 in cash, but $1,600 was from 2 people.

As a guy who likes to help others with my time and money, I just don’t understand why SO MANY people wouldn’t want to help out. Sheesh- haven’t we all had struggles and difficulties and been blessed by friends and family with their help? Doesn’t that have an impact on how you would want to help others? I just don’t get it. And insight out there? Maybe some of you non-givers could help me understand, and show me ways to encourage non-givers to help out more.

2. U&A

U&A Addicted to ArboristSite

Today’s society is selfish. 100% self centered.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM

Massey, stihlaficionado and lone wolf like this.
  3. aokpops

aokpops Addicted to ArboristSite

Not sure what is going on ? The type of work your talking about no one will do it . Work as a carpenter a little over 30 years . What I'm seeing all the trades in my area are getting old no under 30 is working the trades . Not sure how the rest of the country is ? Not to change the topic . But giving an keeping is not what it use to be . If you needed some other work done might have better results . To have a mold problem to start with there would a wet problem that needs fixed . At the rate were going everybody will be living outside . Not sure how many will like it ?

SeMoTony and U&A like this.
  4. KiwiBro

KiwiBro Hold my beer and film this...

Maybe times are tough for the would-be givers and charity starts at home?

5. Mustang71

Mustang71 Addicted to ArboristSite

I would volunteer my time, as for the money I dont have much so giving it away is tough. I just turned 30 and in September I'll be going on my 10th year as an hvac installer. I could tell my boss to go f himself and I wouldn't get fired. There is pretty much no one who wants to do this work and no young kids who want to learn. He has been hiring since I started 6 years ago. We have had a few kids that hang out for a few months then leave because they dont want to work. People won't work for money and you want them to volunteer lol.

aokpops, stihlaficionado and avason like this.
  6. stihlaficionado

stihlaficionado God of ArboristSite

I agree...first comes one's own enjoyment for many.
    No $, volunteer your time.

If one has been able to create a good life for oneself/family help those less fortunate.

Idk, giving may be a value that is on the wane.

7. stihlaficionado

stihlaficionado God of ArboristSite

Have you considered a GoFundMe?

SeMoTony likes this.
  8. unclemoustache

Yes, but they take a pretty hefty percentage for their services.

SeMoTony likes this.
  9. kyle1!

kyle1! ArboristSite Guru

For me I used to volunteer for everything; PTA, coaching youth sports, litter cleanups, natural conservation efforts etc, It was always the same people who would show up to help/donate money. After 10-15 years of this I am burnt out on helping others/donating money. It is a sad thing to say because it goes against my helping nature but after a while you feel like you are being taken advantage of.

10. Huskybill

Huskybill Addicted to ArboristSite

Talk about cheap family members, My nephew got killed on a motorcycle on his way back to the naval base. I live out of town. The ships van showed up with the sailors for the funeral. I was out of work, cutting trees, just surviving. I had to do something for the sailors. I gave the sailor incharge a $100 bill to buy a round of drinks for the sailors. This was thirty years ago. Everyone in my family got upset with me because they didn’t do anything. I did what my heart and older brother who passed told me to do at the time. My older brother was a class act.

I gave the sailor incharge a $100 bill after they played taps and salute there wasn’t a dry eye in the place.

11. Huskybill

Huskybill Addicted to ArboristSite

Good karma,,,

What ever we do to help others comes back to us in some shape or form as good karma. Even though we expect nothing in return when we help others in need. You think the positive things we see down the road just happens on its own?

My older brothers were my mentors.

SeMoTony likes this.
  12. 92utownxh

92utownxh ArboristSite Operative

People just don't want to help it seems. Granted, people are more busy now than ever. Everyone I know who runs a trades business can't find help. No one wants to work or no one needs a job. I try to help when I can. It definitely comes around though. Sometimes the people with the least give the most and vice versa.

stihlaficionado likes this.
  13. SeMoTony

SeMoTony Addicted to ArboristSite

Donator has option of what they give to the service. The donated amount goes direct to recipients, with choice of ;15%, 10%, or "other______" which can be 0 to pay GoFundMe for the service they provide. Direct experience I have Josh

14. unclemoustache

That is in addition to what they take off the top. I have set up two Gofundme pages and the donors don’t know about or see the chunk taken out.