Glad I burn wood & not pellets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The price of PV panels have come down. Quite a bit, The main cost is the labour, not the equipment so comes back to how handy you are.

I can not get a grant where I am, but many can. Free money is always good.

Also you are comparing prices assuming current electric costs. Only going to go up.

My friends are 2 people in a 6,000 sq ft house, he sized it for them and a bit so if they have visitors who are not aware then the Generator can kick in.

Looking around their house I could see quite a few small changes that would reduce usage, much cheaper to minimize use than put in extra generation.

11,000 for a power system holy **** believe i will stick to the TVA they provide all the power i need it hangs around 35-43$ in the winter and a not a penny over 90-110$ in the summer.
but electric is cheap here.

The price of PV panels have come down. Quite a bit, The main cost is the labour, not the equipment so comes back to how handy you are.

I can not get a grant where I am, but many can. Free money is always good.

There's NO such thing as "free" money, and we are 7 TRILLION in debt to prove it!!

Someone has to pay for all that "free" money!

SR

There's NO such thing as "free" money, and we are 7 TRILLION in debt to prove it!!

Someone has to pay for all that "free" money!

SR
no one said they were free i don't think. I think people said the cost of them was less than other alternatives.
I'm all for the solar panel idea if i can come up with the initial investment to buy them. It would be nice in the winter time when our power gets knocked out by ice with the biggest problem i can see being that i'll be climbing my happy butt on the roof to get snow off them so they function... maybe they should design little heaters in them.

Solar collection and distribution are relatively inexpensive endeavors, at least for a residential application.
What kills you price-wise is the storage. It takes a lot of expensive batteries to just make it through the night, let alone a few days of persistent cloud cover if you want to be off-grid.

no one said they were free i don't think. I think people said the cost of them was less than other alternatives.
I'm all for the solar panel idea if i can come up with the initial investment to buy them. It would be nice in the winter time when our power gets knocked out by ice with the biggest problem i can see being that i'll be climbing my happy butt on the roof to get snow off them so they function... maybe they should design little heaters in them.

Read the post again, My comment was aimed at the FREE MONEY comment... Grants/tax deductions are NOT "FREE money", someone has to pay for it, just as my last post pointed out.

SR

I'm poor, i still farm with old cases and an international. Use a gleaner combine cause i'm to cheap to buy a case IH. DEF is a LONG way in my future on farm equipment lol. I recent applied for a job with Koch Fertilizer simply because i know the global demand for urea is going through the roof. Every time you turn around the inputs go up and the "free market" doesn't go all free market with it. I doubt i plant any corn this year, its too dry and i don't think we have the subsoil moisture for it. Probably plant milo and a few beans and we'll see what happens for water this spring before i plan to double crop anything. Just bought a new baler and another used disk cutter swather, so my wad has been shot for this year if we don't see some results on wheat. Cows only pay bills for so long, and this cattle market is going to die a miserable death eventually and its going to hurt. Might take a couple more years but it'll happen and we'll have cheap cows, and cheap corn and uncle sam will want more ethanol as a price support measure.

Could always just go work some overtime...

Just enjoying he popcorn man :popcorn: I like popcorn.
My too, but I've run out, can I have some of yours?

I notice that we are on to PVs now. I hope everyone thaws out and gets back to work soon so this can all wait till next fall.:popcorn:

Mr. HE:cool:

We pay approx. .19 kilowatt here. Our bill is at least $200 a month and that is cheap according to neighbours. I made some assumptions on jimbojangles post, I thought he meant to "power" his house. Now I see that it is only for sunny days and sunny times, no storage system of any kind. But still for $11,000 and a $7,000 tax break I would jump on it.

We pay approx. .19 kilowatt here. Our bill is at least $200 a month and that is cheap according to neighbours. I made some assumptions on jimbojangles post, I thought he meant to "power" his house. Now I see that it is only for sunny days and sunny times, no storage system of any kind. But still for $11,000 and a $7,000 tax break I would jump on it.
yeah, i'm not going off grid. i think those are 90 grand dude! The systems i looked at use the idea that when the sun is out you're "net gaining" and when the sun isn't you're net loosing and its a giant wash.

Back to wood, with the wood I have available to me the number I keep in the back of my head is 150.

So I wend past a wood dealer in the Peoples Republic of Boulder selling at $165. So if you had the same level of efficiency that is the same as Propane at $1.10.

My Propane Boiler vents with plastic, my stove does not. So that multiplier should assuming a efficient stove be about 100, so $1.65 a gallon break even for Propane. And then you have the hassle involved with Wood vs Propane.

The economics of buying wood at this cost escapes me. Especially as most of his customers in that area will have NG.

The old mill I used to haul birch bolts to, converted to a pellet mill some years back, and they state there is no shortage of pellets being produced. The issues are with lack of sufficient distribution.

Natural Gas, that's a great Idea, did you hear the news yesterday, 2 buildings blown to he!! in Manhattan, sure makes me want to hook right up!

Back