Gloves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't usually wear gloves for saw work or firewood work, except when it gets real cold. But if it's that cold I don't like being out there anyway.
When I do wear them, I wear them out so fast, I don't like spending the money. I do wear plan old deer skin gloves for some types of work, like barbwire fence work or clearing briers or handling sheet metal, stuff like that.

Unless it's really cold out, why do you need gloves when running a saw?
COLD??? it don't get cold in NJ or TX. :buttkick:

Reviving an old thread rather than starting a new one; but:

Kind of a big mid-Winter day here in the equipment shed on the summit. I rotated out some worn out thermal knit work gloves for new bellingham thermal greys from shipment that came yesterday.

View attachment 713681

Really like the coated gloves when handling wood, grip well and last better than the leather gloves I've used.

Really like the coated gloves when handling wood, grip well and last better than the leather gloves I've used.

I am going to try some out this year. Yesterday a pack of 12 showed up from Amazon. At 12 pairs for $18 it seemed like something to try. They are a nice fit, which goes a long ways in getting a good grip. I'll know this spring whether or not they can last handling bucked logs. Reviews I read were pretty positive on them, and as I can tell they seem to be of decent quality.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DWP1VPL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

61hBOoBGf1L._SL1000_.jpg

Im not a big glove wearing guy, mostly because I wear them out so fast. But I was at TS one day and saw some cheap gloves and it was very cold that day so I picked up a pair. They have the rubber coating that gives you great grip, and so far they have lasted longer then any other type of glove I have ever tried. They were cheap 4 dollar gloves.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ex-coated-palm-fingertips-gloves?cm_vc=-10005

I wear leather most of the time unless fairly cold I have some trouble finding gloves to fit .

these are what I like , I need a 2xl in a lot of gloves , that makes it harder to find a pair at a reasonable price that fit

split hide https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/g-401-work-n-sport-mens-creek-cow-split-gloves.html

sometimes full grain https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/g-4400-wells-lamont-mens-cowhide-grain-full-leather-glove.html

when cold I will wear the Kinco Frost breakers they are decent doww into the single digits if your moving around

these 3 are the among most cost effective gloves I have found.

if you like them cheap but decent the cotton knit with pvc dots , they are reversable gloves wear either on right or left hand https://www.amazon.com/Memphis-9660...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=J15MPB9W783E8DYZVXBH

I get these for my son the local hardware store carries them at 1.79 a pair , he seems to loose a lot of gloves. from amazon less than a dollar a pair https://www.amazon.com/Memphis-9660...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=J15MPB9W783E8DYZVXBH

these if you have larger leather gloves the cotton can be worn inside the leather gloves and they are decently warm

I wear leather most of the time unless fairly cold I have some trouble finding gloves to fit .

these are what I like , I need a 2xl in a lot of gloves , that makes it harder to find a pair at a reasonable price that fit

split hide https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/g-401-work-n-sport-mens-creek-cow-split-gloves.html

sometimes full grain https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/g-4400-wells-lamont-mens-cowhide-grain-full-leather-glove.html

when cold I will wear the Kinco Frost breakers they are decent doww into the single digits if your moving around

these 3 are the among most cost effective gloves I have found.

if you like them cheap but decent the cotton knit with pvc dots , they are reversable gloves wear either on right or left hand https://www.amazon.com/Memphis-9660...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=J15MPB9W783E8DYZVXBH

I get these for my son the local hardware store carries them at 1.79 a pair , he seems to loose a lot of gloves. from amazon less than a dollar a pair https://www.amazon.com/Memphis-9660...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=J15MPB9W783E8DYZVXBH

these if you have larger leather gloves the cotton can be worn inside the leather gloves and they are decently warm

Depending on what I'm doing, I wear the finger tips out in just a few hours with almost all leather gloves.
If I'm riding motocross I only wear cotton gloves. Leather gloves don't breath enough and when your hands sweat it makes the callouses get soft and blister. Cotton breathes enough so your hands stay dry. I like leather gloves for handling barbed wire and T post when doing fence work. But for splitting and stacking wood I don't use any gloves, unless it's very cold. I will use leather gloves when working with sheet metal. Been sliced open too many times handling that crap.

I am wondering if the distinction is I try and only be in the woods when the ground is frozen that would probably be Texas very cold .
I try not to do any cutting above 40 and little to no splitting above 50 anything above that is fishing ,shooting , gardening or party weather weather and unfortunately mowing/string trimming weather.

probably the other distinction is I don't have the calluses I did when I worked the farm or construction 20+ years ago. my day job as a phone tech isn't exactly physically demanding.

Tree bark wears out gloves faster than just about anything. And, some tree bark is worse than others. Hackberry might be the absolute worst glove destroyer of them all. Ash bark might also be one of the worst, and that's to be expected because ash is about the best firewood that there is. It figures. Elm and mulberry are both glove choppers also.
Funny thing: I burn all of these.:buttkick:

I found that Kevlar knit gloves last a long time, but they supply practically no warmth and shrink. Regardless, I wore out two pairs of these in a few months last fall.

I found tossing wood letting it slide of the fingers wore gloves the fastest the thumb and index finger often gone from a pair of gloves in a few hours.

in working to handle the wood less I also have started wearing out fewer gloves.

I had milk crate of gloves in the mud room at the start of the wood cutting season this year , nearly any pair that would fit me XXL had a missing right glove or holes in the fingers of it.

I bought 5 new pair this season for myself 3 of the split hide , 1 full grain and 1 of the frost breakers insulated as they get wet or I can't find a pair I rotate through them. typically leave some by the back door some by the wood stove and some in my truck.
I handle wood every day to haul it in and feed the stove, I also have found my hands get the worst when it isn't all that cold out in the 20s and 30s when it is warm enough I don't really need gloves to keep warm but my hands will be raw cracked and bleeding if I don't wear them.

these gloves also serve as my snow shoveling , snow blowing , doing much of anything outside including hauling in the groceries I try and keep one pair a little cleaner.

handling the wood less , using the tongs to load it in the truck or trailer , having the splitter right next to the truck or trialer and setting the splits down on the pile or if filling the truck changed how I was tossing them I am wearing through gloves much slower than I had been.

40 dollars for a pair of the Husqavarna tongs seems like a lot but they do end up paying it back in gloves saved , gloves also don't get nearly as wet when working in snow if using the tongs to load the truck.

I found tossing wood letting it slide of the fingers wore gloves the fastest the thumb and index finger often gone from a pair of gloves in a few hours.

in working to handle the wood less I also have started wearing out fewer gloves.

I had milk crate of gloves in the mud room at the start of the wood cutting season this year , nearly any pair that would fit me XXL had a missing right glove or holes in the fingers of it.

I bought 5 new pair this season for myself 3 of the split hide , 1 full grain and 1 of the frost breakers insulated as they get wet or I can't find a pair I rotate through them. typically leave some by the back door some by the wood stove and some in my truck.
I handle wood every day to haul it in and feed the stove, I also have found my hands get the worst when it isn't all that cold out in the 20s and 30s when it is warm enough I don't really need gloves to keep warm but my hands will be raw cracked and bleeding if I don't wear them.

these gloves also serve as my snow shoveling , snow blowing , doing much of anything outside including hauling in the groceries I try and keep one pair a little cleaner.

handling the wood less , using the tongs to load it in the truck or trailer , having the splitter right next to the truck or trialer and setting the splits down on the pile or if filling the truck changed how I was tossing them I am wearing through gloves much slower than I had been.

40 dollars for a pair of the Husqavarna tongs seems like a lot but they do end up paying it back in gloves saved , gloves also don't get nearly as wet when working in snow if using the tongs to load the truck.
I keep forgetting to use those tongs. Thanks for the reminder. I have the ones that squeeze in from both ends (Timber Claw).
Timber Claw.jpg
Many of the logs that I split are small enough to carry with the tongs.

I keep forgetting to use those tongs. Thanks for the reminder. I have the ones that squeeze in from both ends (Timber Claw).
View attachment 713841
Many of the logs that I split are small enough to carry with the tongs.
i have 2 of the timber claws one still new in package I meant to take back , like the Husquvarna tongs better.

sell you a pair of 16 inch timber claws for 25 shipped

I usually dont wear gloves for anything except welding. Leather gloves makes the skin on my fingers and hands crack. If it is really cold, I will wear some of those cloth rubber coated gloves, the cheaper the better. I dont know if I have ever worn a pair of gloves out, but I have lost a dumptruck load.

I use the $7 Menards leather gloves for pretty much everything. Unless it gets too cold, then I switch to the Menards $7 insulated leather gloves.

You can make them 18" with a hacksaw and a grinder to put a point back on.:)

I would prefer they were more like 14 1/2 , been cutting shorter lately , it fits the stove better I get some long all the time any way but had a bunch long this year and was cutting them down from 18 1/2 to fit in the stove.

the timber claw seems to prefer wood closer to max than short

Summer time I buy several cheap lighter pairs from Canadian Tire or other hardware store. Winter time, I have a couple pairs of wool mittens with separate thumb and finger for easier handling.

Back