Good 32:1 oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie294life

Brush Popper and Amateur Tree Butcher
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I’m in the process of getting a 2 stroke mower...snapper with Wisconsin/Robin. It’s spec’d to run 32:1 but most saws are 40:1 or 50:1 depending on oil. I’ve also got a new stihl 261, I don’t want to gum up or otherwise ruin. I run ultra in my saws and trimmers because it’s what I got for the warranty, otherwise I run husqvarna because there’s a Lowe’s nearby and it’s open, and huqvarna oils blue...no preference. You guys have any luck with a mix that will run in everything and not gum up a carb at 32:1, or crud up the ports? I can already tell it’s going to be a major pain in the axe to carry around different mix jugs, rather have just one. Looking for something to cover 2 saws, a blower, hedge trimmer and now this mower.

I’m in the process of getting a 2 stroke mower...snapper with Wisconsin/Robin. It’s spec’d to run 32:1 but most saws are 40:1 or 50:1 depending on oil. I’ve also got a new stihl 261, I don’t want to gum up or otherwise ruin. I run ultra in my saws and trimmers because it’s what I got for the warranty, otherwise I run husqvarna because there’s a Lowe’s nearby and it’s open, and huqvarna oils blue...no preference. You guys have any luck with a mix that will run in everything and not gum up a carb at 32:1, or crud up the ports? I can already tell it’s going to be a major pain in the axe to carry around different mix jugs, rather have just one. Looking for something to cover 2 saws, a blower, hedge trimmer and now this mower.

Why not just run them all at 32:1?

With proper tun 32:1 won't cause any problems. That said 40:1 is probably the best option for you, as trimmers won't really like 32:1 as much they just don't run hot or fast enough. You can run that 40:1 in everything without any problems.

If you want to save some money, go to a local motorcycle off road vehicle shop, and pick up one of these oils. All better than the stuff you're running.

Yamalube 2R
Honda HP2
Maxima K2 or Super M
Motul 710 or 800

With proper tun 32:1 won't cause any problems. That said 40:1 is probably the best option for you, as trimmers won't really like 32:1 as much they just don't run hot or fast enough. You can run that 40:1 in everything without any problems.

If you want to save some money, go to a local motorcycle off road vehicle shop, and pick up one of these oils. All better than the stuff you're running.

Yamalube 2R
Honda HP2
Maxima K2 or Super M
Motul 710 or 800

I don’t know about the trimmer statement I dog the piss out of it, I’m sure it gets hot, hedge trimmer and blower maybe not. I’m just afraid to run 40:1 in the mower. Oil has gotten a lot better since the 90’s though so it may be perfectly acceptable, sure there are some here that know, I mean if it will handle running a chainsaw it should handle anything right? I used to use motul in my bike but always at 32:1.

I run 32:1 in everything, chainsaws, augers, blowers, hedge trimmers, weedwackers(fs130), drills, etc. No issues with clogged up carbs, or anything else.

Poulan synthetic oil or Stihl in the white bottle, both are old stock.

Mt dont like 32/1 40 to 1 red armor or other but dont go anything more on on stihl ultra ots not meant for anything but 50 to 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know about the trimmer statement I dog the piss out of it, I’m sure it gets hot, hedge trimmer and blower maybe not. I’m just afraid to run 40:1 in the mower. Oil has gotten a lot better since the 90’s though so it may be perfectly acceptable, sure there are some here that know, I mean if it will handle running a chainsaw it should handle anything right? I used to use motul in my bike but always at 32:1.

It has to do with design and engine tuning more than how they're ran. Some oils at 32:1 will not burn completely, Motul 800 is a good example, even at 40:1 and 50:1 800 doesn't like to burn at the normal temperatures saws like to run. The best all around ratio is probably 40:1 but you can safely run 32:1 in everything if you like. I personally run 32:1 in my ported saws, blowers and trimmers get 50:1[emoji111]

I run Motul 800 32:1 in my saws except for one... I run the one saw, blower, and trimmer at 50:1 using echo red max. And here is why... my 2 main runner saws are ported so I keep them similar. The blower and trimmer are used by my wife plenty so if she runs out of fuel doing whatever it is she wants, she can run to the store and buy a can of echo premix and continue on. I keep the one saw at 50:1 and it’s my quick throw in the truck saw if someone needs help or going somewhere because 50:1 is readily available in premix and used by others if I needed more in a pinch. Other than that I will bring my own mix in a 5gallon interval so I don’t have to run out or share :).

My 562XP did not like 32:1 with husky XP+ oil. It got 40:1. All my current saws are non auto tune and get 32:1 and love it.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I like 40:1 the math is simpler
How will they know what oil you ran? It was just to get people to buy crappy overpriced oil.
In the Stihl Nickle school, top secret down in the basement in hushed voices you learn about the special testing procedures with ion analysis. To determine the ratio, brand of oil, octane of gasoline, and how much greenhouse gas the thing produced. Probably send you a bill for your carbon offset.:laughing:

It's good oil, but it is overpriced. However, in this day and age you get what you pay for

I like 40:1 the math is simpler

In the Stihl Nickle school, top secret down in the basement in hushed voices you learn about the special testing procedures with ion analysis. To determine the ratio, brand of oil, octane of gasoline, and how much greenhouse gas the thing produced. Probably send you a bill for your carbon offset.:laughing:

It's good oil, but it is overpriced. However, in this day and age you get what you pay for
32:1 is easier IMHO 4oz per gallon. Stihl ultra works OK in 4mix engines, but is horrible in regular 2 cycle engines.[emoji111]

Back