"good luck" wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mga

wandering
Reaction score
i was splitting some maple today and i grabbed a piece about 20 inches in diameter and threw it on the splitter. it split it in half and there were two aluminum horse shoes inside the log! one of them broke after the split.

i wondered if the horse shoes were against the tree when the tree was a sappling and just grew around them......

If I had cut down the tree I would have hit the horse shoes with the saw! Glad you missed them.

good find. lat find i had was a nail with the ole 395 w/ a 36" and it didn't like it much

Generally the horseshoe find is because someone hung them on a limb/crotch near the trunk and were going to pick them up in a day or two!!! Aren't you glad you found it with a splitter and not a bandmill!!:jawdrop:

Yep, in my case they would have been iron and I would have hit them square with the saw. I have a spiral-shank galvanized nail on my desk that I sawed in half lengthwise. Last weekend I cut a nail, then noticed the 30 or so bent rusty nails above it in the tree. Weird part was I was 12 feet off the ground. Must have been somebody's tree stand or a kid's fort at one time. I cut a lot in fencelines and brush rows, I just leave the butt end of the log there, avoid all the barbed wire and staples. Waste of wood, but I don't wear body armor, so if the chain flies or tosses shrapnel it would probably ruin my good shirt.

I've cut a surprising number of bullets. They don't bother the bands...only lead ones though. I too have a nail, still embedded in the wood, but split lengthwise. Never hit anything big.

You should immediately fly to Vegas and bet every cent you own. It's a good omen.:)

lol..yea, right.

unfortunately, i don't ever gamble.

the funny thing is is that they were aluminum. i never knew they made them out of that, but obviously they did. they seemed rather small, so maybe they were for a mule or donkey? or maybe a pony? or maybe they were just kids toys left by a tree many years ago?

no readable markings on the one.

Last edited:
Generally aluminum shoes are for some type of racing (trotters, pacers, QH, barrel racers, cutters, etc.). They are light and provide great traction for the specified purpose. Horse and pony shoes are pretty much round, a mule shoe has straighter sides.

Back