ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Good Morning check in

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by KD57, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack Addicted to ArboristSite

the rabid rasp project is done now. happy with results. I say done, but actually will let it dry day or two more, than sand... and put on 3rd coat. is more than ok now since even though it was a bit of a complex project... it is just toolbox utility. it took some careful woodworking, imo.

said I made some engineering changes. originally had used button head 8/32's to hold file to wood. turned out so strong, I decided to counter sink the fasteners. used oval head brass 8/32 1/4"... not your everyday big box or hardware store available fastner. but while the button heads would have been ok, countersunk ovals muchamo better! :yes: I had several options before deciding on the brass. 1/4" is not very long, so for top ok, but for cap... had to drill down and then countersink. countersink would not fit hole so had to use 2 drill tips for the countersink. did the job. made a wood plug, but of pine not hickory, dint want the fuss or headache to sand the two surfaces level. pine gave in easy. nice fit. good enuff for my needs. drilled locking holes in rasp stee handle end so epoxy could lock in and to the wood, too. fit handle piece so seams better. put in the epoxy, and some glue for wood cap... aligned it, tightened everybody up, set them with locktite blue... and clamped. and called it a night.

P6190001.JPG P6190004.JPG P6190009.JPG P6190010.JPG P6190015.JPG P6190017.JPG P6190018.JPG P6190021.JPG P6190020.JPG P6190021.JPG

2. Backyard Lumberjack

hadn't set the cap plug, did it in watco black walnut stain... then glued it and let it go off 20 mins, then pressed it in and sanded. varathaned it, then 5 hrs later lite sand and added coat #2. next day hard, dry and shiny

P6190022.JPG P6200033.JPG P6200034.JPG P6200035.JPG P6200036.JPG P6200037.JPG P6210053.JPG

3. neely

neely Addicted to ArboristSite

I guess the ad said cord but no specs,

4. Backyard Lumberjack

the idea-work in progress, finished wood rasp, sans one more coat of varathane just for grins :D

P6180033.JPG

P6210052.JPG

5. Backyard Lumberjack

in a grage sale scrounge I picked up this nice red tool box, and load of old files, hence where the rabid rasp came from... and a whole bunch more tools, etc... all for under $5.00. :) I came across one old file with no useable filing edges left in it. hmm, junk? or?... thot first I would maybe make a knife out of it... to stir my Good Morning ci coffee, perhaps... lol :dumb:

P6210048.JPG P6210049.JPG P6210050.JPG

6. Backyard Lumberjack

but then I got to thinking, heck, I already got some long, scary knives... so... :popcorn2:... what mite it make a good of?...

then I thought... hey! :dancing: how aboutz a nice sharp spoke shaver... a draw knife. so that is the plan... little more than an idea at this time... but heck. I got the plan... lol :clap: I always wanted a draw knife. my dad had one. small one he used on rifle stocks. I like them, but I don't like their prices... even at $30.00. and up...

:oops: well, think this should make a good scraper/planer... just needs a lil bit of :heart: put into it!
    P6210051.JPG

and... can use the refurb'd rabid rasp to make the two handles congruent... :rock:

7. Backyard Lumberjack

speaking of the rasp...

well... in all projects there is a little art, one might say. and art is special. clearly, if all I wanted was a handle... I could have looked in my metal working tools kit, there is a file with a generic ez fit handle. or go to Amazon, they start at about $2.00 ea and up. if one wants a 30-06 rifle for $375.00 all they got to do is go to local outdoors store or online, but one will never buy a Holland & Holland .350 or .450 rifle for that amount, for they go for about $275,000.00 to $350,000.00 per copy! their shotguns can be had for less, but even so... will... get one:envy: attention fast. and if ur blood can handle it, ck out the double barreled rifles and elephant guns!! :yes:

https://www.hollandandholland.com/guns/

for art is art... and the value is in the perceiver's point of view. and I did not want a $2.00 handle for my old rusty wood rasp. I wanted a handmade hickory handle. and besides, it has art. art from the Man Above. Grain! my dad always was calling me to see this or that stock... and pointing out the grain. "Only God can make a tree!", he would (always) say. RIP

and in this old rusty, reclaimed wood rasp sporting a new shiny handle... rather unique, if I do say so myself... :popcorn2: is some beautiful grain. and even some tiger tail grain, as well. I say: special! for out of that old nasty, narly greasy soaked busted up sledge hammer's handle... who saw any tiger tail grain?... huh?... well, for one, I did not! not until I got it cleaned and sanded smooth. and I purposely left some of the darker bits n nicks in the wood handle from the rasp's original woodwork reshaping of the old sledge handle... since the rasp made its own handle. character marks we call them in the trade... :heart:

so I have a really aggressive attack rabid wood rasp...that can stand proud. it is well fitted for some serious work, it sports some small, but neat machine shop metalcraft work... and it has a very handy handle that shows off a bit of gunsmithing rifle stock work, an inlaid action... even some trick fastener work. and a finish to match. I like the finish. it would never do on one of my Dad's rifle stocks, however! his were always fine furniture perfect... final prep to the finish, if it was not an oiled stock... was pumice powder and ultra fine steel wool. the pumice much finer than cooking flour...

some close ups of the handle's artful grain lines in the wood.

P6210054.JPG P6210055.JPG P6210056.JPG P6210057.JPG P6210058.JPG P6210059.JPG

many hours, some challenges, lots of fun. very useful. and I like it. I like it a lot!!!

in all of you here on the GM ci forum I am confident goes a good craftsman. you cannot take care of trees, wood, and saws, etc... and not be one. and so I hope you also do, too.

and so that's a Good Morning check in, check out on my wood rasp project. it's a wrap!

8. Backyard Lumberjack

glad to hear it neely. :) I can see u sitting there as the white fireplace casts out its spell upon you! :yes: I had a nice campfire going this afternoon in mr Brutus as I raked needles and did yard work. then got hungry. made a deli type turkey slice on rye with pickles... and sat outside by the fire relaxing. ideas currently stirring in upstairs... :pingpong:is to move mr Brutus inside of the house... into the almost Great Room tv den. its open to kitchen. and I want to cook and also watch tv with fire going. and I don't want to spend :envy::envy::crazy::crazy::envy::envy: doing it! lol. and I have all the fireplace stuff. just need the construction side. it would go in corner. 45 setting. perfect. its old, but proven. and... old is better. it is a 36" unit... and they had large fireboxes before EPA got too close to the fun. so my mr Brutus is on the repurpose drawing board. and I have a very nice, I mean... very nice replacement. :yes:

time will tell, but I know... time waits for no one. lol

9. neely

Yes, the fireplace brings kinda a piece of mind thing for me as I watch it burn , It lets me drift off to better times in this old life of mine , Also the turkey sandwich sounds good to me I am a food junkie , I’ve never been a overweight person, been in good shape for ever till the strokes happened, I guess hard work manual labor for 50+ yrs and the corp made me that way , I really feel sad about the outcome but have faith in God and Family and me being a hard headed person will prevail, Adding a fireplace is a lot of work but if thats what you want bring Mr. Brutus inside so the joy is where you want it my friend. As you said time waits for no one;

10. Backyard Lumberjack

take care my friend...

...............Uu-rah-h!...

zmc.jpg

11. neely

Good Friday morning /afternoon to everyone,
    42* /48* with showers , Enjoy your weekend out there be safe ;

12. Sty57

Sty57 Addicted to ArboristSite

Good morning! 14°/25°F

Stopped for a new pair of everyday boots last night. They still hand write all of there receipts and put them in a file.
    He said 1991 was the first time I bought anything from him.

I did pick up a new Stormy Kromer hat too.

Mama wasn't impressed and said I didn't need anymore. But oh well, she'll get over it.

13. SawTroll

SawTroll Information Collector

Good morning/afternoon/evening all! :D

+2C/36F by 11 am.

Snowing on/off and gale force winds.

"Red" avalanche alert + warnings about driving conditions and wind (both "yellow"). This is for the general area, imo it isn't so bad right around here.

14. neely

Morning Sty , kinda nippy up yonder huh? Everyone needs a new pair of boots from time to time,I do have a Stormy kromer hat as I worked outside and the ear flaps came in handy , now I wear it cutting wood under my hoodie , Women always know what You don’t need but are 20 pairs of shoes necessary? Don’t bring that up as all hell breaks loose,

15. neely

Be careful out there ST

16. Country bumpkin

Country bumpkin Addicted to ArboristSite

That would be nice to play with & see how even the window upgrades actually show. That would be cool cutting a coal seem lol

17. Country bumpkin

Country bumpkin Addicted to ArboristSite

Morning y’all! 23 & 45! Off to feed! Stay warm & safe my friends!

18. farmer steve

farmer steve outstanding in my field, 5150

[​IMG] :laugh::laugh:

19. Sty57

Morning Sir.
    Temps have been mostly above average here.
    There was a few ice shacks that went through the other day.
    We had a bunch of rain the other day and we the temps going up and down so much.
    It's hard to get good ice made.

20. Sty57

Don't make fun until you try it!