• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Good Morning check in

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

" ~ No wood, No fire! ~ "
this afternoon, I decided to redo the hot coals holder in my LR fireplace. always use a wire mesh of some sort. am a 'graduate' of the Majestic Fireplace Co's Fireplaces and How To Make A Good Fire book... they suggested wire screen of some type. made sense to me. this stuff old, scrounged from somewhere years ago has served me well. keeps a hot fire dying down staying hot for heating and starting new firewood added. but decided time for an overhaul. 25 + years is long enough. so I had this bit of HD expanded metal from a bigger piece. thot it mite do well as a replacement... long service life. ez 25+ yrs. right on up to the point that I am replaced! lol ;) you see, seriously doubt I will be around see how its doing then. had to clean out the ash from yesterday. steel bucket required. hot coals still. soon bucket of ash side nicely warm. some pix. I preformed it a bit outside, [stomp...stomp... stomp!] :D fit in pretty good. I like the end results. should perform just fine.
P6240006.JPG
P6240001.JPG P6240002.JPG P6240003.JPG P6240004.JPG P6240005.JPG

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
'morning chipper - I see you are up late -
Good morning my friend :drinkingcoffee::lol:.
Long day, just winding down now.
Waiting for the fire to catch good so I can close the damper and head to bed. Seems someone loaded the stove a little tight and didn't have enough airflow so it's taking a long time, not having very many coals isn't helping the cause.

Have a good night guys :hi:.

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

so to test it out, I made a new fire on it. some paper and pine needles. don't usually use the pine needles inside the house. but did today. cedar kindling. pine n oak kindling. then some oak kitchen wood. didn't have to light it with a flame. the hot coals in left over stix got to work on the paper right away. you can see the p
whisps and plumes of smoke rising. soon had a nice fire for the coolish drizzly afternoon as I thought further about some dinner plans later on.

P6240012.JPG
P6240007.JPG P6240008.JPG P6240009.JPG P6240010.JPG P6240011.JPG P6240013.JPG

when I am done with fires in fireplace at day's end I close the unit's fire screen. and also keep in place the bigger screen, too. it is handmade. I found it semi-abandoned in the warehouse next to my office quite a few years ago and managed to scrounge it. have had it a long time. like it. bit ruff, but I like it a lot... functions well. with both screens I always feel secure with a fire in there ending or hot coals turning my back on it.

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

our afternoon's fireplace in action yesterday afternoon. with some of the pecan I want to burn up. and a shot of it all sans the glows and ambiance. an internal looksee. that fireplace is over 40 years old. I designed the brick work, walnut mantle and installed it thru a contractor. one for fireplace, one for brick work. no cracks in brick work all these years. great unit.

P6240024.JPG
P6240022.JPG P6240023.JPG P6240025.JPG

as such, it has the older asbestos based fire brick composition bricks in it. too bad such is not legal any more, etc. they look as good today as the day after the first fire in it. many, many hot fires in it. no deteriation at all! none...
P6240026.JPG