• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Good Morning check in

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

" ~ No wood, No fire! ~ "
Good morning Sir. Yes, you know it always comes back to you, no matter how it appears initially:cheers:. Have a great day.
tuned up Lil Mow... then mowed entire yard and helped nxt door neighbor keep one spot shorter than longer. nice neighbor, helps me with things, too. just not real big on yard work! lol :laugh:

Lil Mow - all set to go! .... mow
PC080048.JPG
PC080038.JPG PC080039.JPG PC080042.JPG
PC080044.JPG PC080047.JPG PC080049.JPG

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

... worked on radiator project thermostat housing. short radius turn 90* sharp edge. so I smoothed it out. modded it some! ;) nbd dept. the t. housing is done now sans some paint. corrosion repaired, new stud, new gasket, flat washer upgrade where MF used lock washer only on the pot alum under nut... the JB in bottom side erosion turned out good. no doubt stronger.
PC070022.JPG PC070023.JPG PC070024.JPG
PC070027.JPG PC070028.JPG PC070029.JPG [/QUOTE]

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"one man's ceiling..." sort of thing. nice box of cedar fence drop and container. same spot I got the ply. couldn't pass it up. camp axe and splits... then into two... right on top of the pine needles and wapsed papers...perfect for ez start camp fires! :)
PC070002.JPG

well, read the news, posted some news and :drinkingcoffee:hour over. time to hit the road. I want to get some paint on the T housing... dark gray to match factory gray on the diesel... and get radiator to frame bkts cleaned and painted. and something with the shroud. prob just dab on some primer with glue brush... and some black paint. close should be good enuff, well... imo. might spray paint it though...

u know the US Marine's motto: attention to detail!
(field expediency aside! lol )

camp fire, a bike ride... and the QB wants me to plant the new herbs she got other day - dill, basil and some sage. busy day ahead ~

hope you all have a swell day and week ahead!

'over n out!'

NIP Group
djones

djones

Addicted to ArboristSite
Good afternoon all, 60° at chores time and sunny. Cloudy and showers now. Animals fed here and across the street, bipeds fed twice and fixin's for dinner are being prepared. Going to head out for some fishing if the t-storms pass, meanwhile most of the work for the coop is done. chickens arrive next week and they'll have a home to start in. Needed to order a new milling chain as the 2 chains I have are getting quite whipped and all they want to do is dive into the wood. I start at 1" and 2 ft. into the log I'm at 1 1/4" or more and the saw can't go any farther forward because it is now wedged. Both chains were recently sharpened using a chain grinder, rakers taken down evenly, everything done the way I normally do and still joy. I put on a regular chain, sharpened the same day as the other 2 and it whizzes right through. One chain is a Granberg milling chain and the other is a Carlton and they both dig in. I figure it must be something in the way I sharpened them but I just can't see it. I had just milled 3 boards off a log and started on the 4th when this happened. I did notice that when I started into the wood with the milling chains that the mill was being pushed back towards me whereas with the regular chain it would suck the mill into the wood telling me that the chain was gripping good. Either way there's not much life left in these 2 chains so new are on the way. Play safe out there.

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
Good afternoon all, 60° at chores time and sunny. Cloudy and showers now. Animals fed here and across the street, bipeds fed twice and fixin's for dinner are being prepared. Going to head out for some fishing if the t-storms pass, meanwhile most of the work for the coop is done. chickens arrive next week and they'll have a home to start in. Needed to order a new milling chain as the 2 chains I have are getting quite whipped and all they want to do is dive into the wood. I start at 1" and 2 ft. into the log I'm at 1 1/4" or more and the saw can't go any farther forward because it is now wedged. Both chains were recently sharpened using a chain grinder, rakers taken down evenly, everything done the way I normally do and still joy. I put on a regular chain, sharpened the same day as the other 2 and it whizzes right through. One chain is a Granberg milling chain and the other is a Carlton and they both dig in. I figure it must be something in the way I sharpened them but I just can't see it. I had just milled 3 boards off a log and started on the 4th when this happened. I did notice that when I started into the wood with the milling chains that the mill was being pushed back towards me whereas with the regular chain it would suck the mill into the wood telling me that the chain was gripping good. Either way there's not much life left in these 2 chains so new are on the way. Play safe out there.
Got any pictures of them.
Typically when they won't cut straight it's the rakers. Instead of using a fixed raker gauge I'd try setting them to each cutter with a progressive raker gauge like the husky versions.
I like these for the house,
This is what it should cost at the dealer, funny it's cheaper there.
and then I use the roller gauge in the truck. The roller gauge also helps to file cutters that have excessive hook(how I like them for cutting green wood in the summer) as it will hold the file on the bottom of the cutter better.
Here's a good price on the roller guide in a kit, that's how I usually buy them as the guide alone cost as much or more than the kit normally.

Broken

Broken

The Great White North...Eh !
Just finished skimming the pool and checking ph levels . Everything ok after a few days away . Walleye cooperated , we limited out nothing huge just a lot of 1to 2 lb 16" to 18 " fish . Dropped four 18" Oak and a few Maple at the boat launch at camp Saturday morning . We were done by noon and it was already 85 f. Good to be back , hope everyone is of good health !

djones

djones

Addicted to ArboristSite
Got any pictures of them.
Typically when they won't cut straight it's the rakers. Instead of using a fixed raker gauge I'd try setting them to each cutter with a progressive raker gauge like the husky versions.
I like these for the house,
This is what it should cost at the dealer, funny it's cheaper there.
and then I use the roller gauge in the truck. The roller gauge also helps to file cutters that have excessive hook(how I like them for cutting green wood in the summer) as it will hold the file on the bottom of the cutter better.
Here's a good price on the roller guide in a kit, that's how I usually buy them as the guide alone cost as much or more than the kit normally.

I set each raker based upon it's cutter. I set my rakers at .030". I set my grinder on the cutter and then set my depth of grind to .030. Each raker is .030 below it's cutter so there is no difference throughout the chain.

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
Good evening guys.
3 shirt day here today and I wasn't out all that long, way hotter than I like :baba:.
Had a bit of a rough start on the neighbors tree today, I should have stayed inside in the AC.
Setting my rigging line I got my throw ball stuck on a short branch(can't find my extra), the good thing is I was able to get the line to pull thru since I tie it with a slip knot :). Then I was able to use a steel carabiner which also got stuck, so bad I had to break my throw line, which is something I've never had to do before :rare2:. Went and ate and got a fresh shirt and let it fall off my back, then went back and used a lead sinker and I was able to get the line set :clap:. So now I can cut the tree from the root ball, I just needed to cut out the fractured portion of it, so I did. Now I just need to make a couple snap cuts and all will be well, sure would have been nice if it went that easily, but it didn't, I should have made the kerfs a bit wider than one cut so I could see when the tree started to move. No damage and I have many saws so it wasn't the end of the world and all I could do was to laugh, even took a picture so you all could laugh with me, maybe I need to get out more often :laugh:.
Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 12.13.39 AM.png

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
I set each raker based upon it's cutter. I set my rakers at .030". I set my grinder on the cutter and then set my depth of grind to .030. Each raker is .030 below it's cutter so there is no difference throughout the chain.
I would still check them as I stated, manually and with a progressive gauge.
When the wheels wear out they will grind the cutters shorter than the others(unless it's a self centering grinder, but they aren't perfect either), and then if the grinder is not getting both sides of the rakers ground at the same height then you can have a multiplication of the differences, which will cause the problem you are experiencing.
You could take a flat edge and put it over the top of the cutters and check the gap between the raker and the flat edge with a feeler gauge and that should show any big discrepancies between the two sides.
I'm still a big fan of the progressive gauges.

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
calm! 'river glassy water landing up ahead'... text book perfect conditions! ~ just in time, too... no lights on that runway! ;)

all in one canoe, chipper? swell pix!
It sure was nice and smooth.
There used to be a float plane that landed there on a normal basis.
tuned up Lil Mow... then mowed entire yard and helped nxt door neighbor keep one spot shorter than longer. nice neighbor, helps me with things, too. just not real big on yard work! lol :laugh:

Lil Mow - all set to go! .... mow
View attachment 839386
View attachment 839387 View attachment 839388 View attachment 839389
View attachment 839390 View attachment 839391 View attachment 839392
Works great when we all work together, and when others needs are greater than ours we can help and vise-versa:cheers:.

SeMoTony

SeMoTony

Addicted to ArboristSite
I would still check them as I stated, manually and with a progressive gauge.
When the wheels wear out they will grind the cutters shorter than the others(unless it's a self centering grinder, but they aren't perfect either), and then if the grinder is not getting both sides of the rakers ground at the same height then you can have a multiplication of the differences, which will cause the problem you are experiencing.
You could take a flat edge and put it over the top of the cutters and check the gap between the raker and the flat edge with a feeler gauge and that should show any big discrepancies between the two sides.
I'm still a big fan of the progressive gauges.
I like them husky gauges so much there are 3 in my inventory. Because keeping track of small tools is above my pay grade. So each time use is called for locating one is oddly difficult until the new is in use and one jumps out of where it had been placed to be easy to see :surprised3: or a spot in the tool box different than recollection had it.
Rainfall began an hour and 1/4 later than they thought (now).
Rest easy topsiders