ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Traverse Creek Inc

Good Morning check in

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
good morning. :drinkingcoffee:65's/76. good chance of some rain. windy S to 15 mph. humidity rolling on back in! i kinda liked those cool, crisp days of 40f! :) got a lot done yesterday, oiled my windmill... and now see it needs its top fasteners tightened. all 4 loose, rusty of course! so BP B'd them couple times. rebalanced fins, too. maybe reset today. currently sitting a bit like the front end of the hydro in deaves hydro pix. got all my downed banana trees cleaned up and now have a big pile on curb. pick up for Thurs... but doubt COH will be on schedule. the trees are nice and green in summer, big leaves flowing in the southerly breezes... but real messy when cold temps freeze them and they thaw! :nofunny: if curious what a PITA job the clean up is... just think canned aspagagus stalks on plate and squashed with fork! with celery top leaves. only about 1,000 times larger. i plan to relocate some... lol, as in dig out! good time to now as they are quite vulnerable. had a nice bike ride after all the work... not sure what the wind will call me to do today. something no doubt...

1614179879152.png

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
The best freeze damage protection is pex blue , it will expand and worst case scenario push off the fitting . Once thawed you can then remove the crimp ring and replace with new one . I also installed 3000 # full port ball 1/2" stainless stl. valves in lieu of conventional cast brass/ bronze 125 # class gate or globe valves that have pretty well freeze/ damage proofed my entire water systems . The North requires a little xtra safe guarding when it comes into winter weather exploits ! ;)
like the electrical grid and supply down here... they should have built.... winterized... homes for extreme weather and temperature changes. afterall, historically back to the late 1890's... records show that hard freezes happen here in souther pecan pie country. i like the township's site that stated code for water lines to residence had to be 3' deep! :yes:

i hope your 3,000 psi ball valve is bullet-proof B. i read where frozen water, ie ice... can exert up to 40,000 psi! i think down here, the motto is simpler... build cheap, let the pipes bust.... ensures rework! :rolleyes:

this morning on morning news they had a bit on how does busted pipes and repairs affect the market value of the home?

:drinkingcoffee:

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
Forgot pic
2d5369500a4142434f52fe3542c80882.jpg
nice! 'clean' is a word that comes to mind....

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
Good morning. 35*/clear. 50's later. Happy Tortilla Chip day. Looks like a splitting day with all the snow melt in the woods. Might fire up the grill today.:barbecue: Have a fun, safe day all. FS.
hard to beat with salsa or queso! sit down at a Tex-Mex restaurant down here and while u are reading menu, deciding... they will bring a plate or bowl of tortilla chips with several salsas of varying heat ranges. beware of the green stuff! o_O

always happy tortilla chip day at a Tex-Mex....
1614181434290.png

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
Howdy Broken. Thanks for the info sir. I know I have a ruptured pipe in the pump house across the street. It's my two brothers and mines place so I'm waiting for one them to come up and help;). Dad put galvanized pipe in over there and we've been replacing stuff with Pex as things break or need repair. I'll remember about the SS valves and blue Pex, that's some good info. I thought PVC was easy to work with but since I started repairing things with Pex it's so much easier. Take care buddy and stay safe and healthy. :givebeer:
i like how one version u put the ring over the line and use the expander tool to expand both... then effortlessly slip on to the connector and it just shrinks back to a very secure, water tight seal.

1614181837059.png

djones

djones

Addicted to ArboristSite
Good afternoon all, 30° at chores time this AM and sunny. Animals were fed and watered, bipeds fed and sent out the door for a shopping morning. Well we almost made it out the door. I checked my email and saw a notice from the credit card company about a recent purchase charged to my card but not by me. After checking into my account I found 3 more charges not made by me so I spent another hour getting that straightened out then hit the stores. Check my email again and 3 of the charges declared fraud but not the latest one so I guess I'm going back to the card company. Play safe out there.

Ol' Brian

Ol' Brian

ArboristSite Guru
Well Good Afternoon guys... Late check-in today. Was busy outside in the 65°F sunshine!!!!

DSCN1009.JPG DSCN1010.JPG DSCN1014.JPG

The Fruits of yesterday's piddling in the shop while the mud makes everything outside almost impossible without making an even bigger mess...

Made it from all re-used re-cycled re-purposed steel (the tubing I used is heavy wall, made up from cutoff ends that I welded back together) except for the pieces that the lift pins and top link are attached to. Last night I got the idea to put some extra grab hooks on it... so before I painted it I had to run into town this morning to get some grab hooks and then modify them and weld them on. Now I can skid 2 or 3 chains if needed now rather than just 1.

Just wire brushed it and then shot it earlier this afternoon with some Rattle Can Rustoleum Sunrise Red I think is the color...

I didn't think to take any pics yesterday while I was building it up... but it is a lot prettier now anyway.

farmer steve

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
Well Good Afternoon guys... Late check-in today. Was busy outside in the 65°F sunshine!!!!

View attachment 891703 View attachment 891704 View attachment 891705

The Fruits of yesterday's piddling in the shop while the mud makes everything outside almost impossible without making an even bigger mess...

Made it from all re-used re-cycled re-purposed steel (the tubing I used is heavy wall, made up from cutoff ends that I welded back together) except for the pieces that the lift pins and top link are attached to. Last night I got the idea to put some extra grab hooks on it... so before I painted it I had to run into town this morning to get some grab hooks and then modify them and weld them on. Now I can skid 2 or 3 chains if needed now rather than just 1.

Just wire brushed it and then shot it earlier this afternoon with some Rattle Can Rustoleum Sunrise Red I think is the color...

I didn't think to take any pics yesterday while I was building it up... but it is a lot prettier now anyway.
Looks great Brian. :numberone: . I have one like that but not near as heavy duty. My buddy bought it for me for hauling his soybeans. I do need to add some extra hooks for carrying the extra chains.

Ol' Brian

Ol' Brian

ArboristSite Guru
Looks great Brian. :numberone: . I have one like that but not near as heavy duty. My buddy bought it for me for hauling his soybeans. I do need to add some extra hooks for carrying the extra chains.
I was thinking that too earlier as I was painting it... that I should have put a hook or 2 on the vertical piece to hang chains on... Oh well... LOL!! I did leave the vertical tubing open at the top thinking I could stick an axe in there or something. I could also just hang the chains on there as well.

That's what happens I guess when you design as you build... This thing turned out quite a bit differently than I was thinking it would before I cut the first piece of steel.