ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Traverse Creek Inc

Good Morning check in

Broken

Broken

The Great White North...Eh !
like the electrical grid and supply down here... they should have built.... winterized... homes for extreme weather and temperature changes. afterall, historically back to the late 1890's... records show that hard freezes happen here in souther pecan pie country. i like the township's site that stated code for water lines to residence had to be 3' deep! :yes:

i hope your 3,000 psi ball valve is bullet-proof B. i read where frozen water, ie ice... can exert up to 40,000 psi! i think down here, the motto is simpler... build cheap, let the pipes bust.... ensures rework! :rolleyes:

this morning on morning news they had a bit on how does busted pipes and repairs affect the market value of the home?

:drinkingcoffee:
I was just offering a common practice within freeze proofing in a Northern climate , normal domestic water system piping specs provide for a burst point of 1500 # for L grade common copper pipe and 125 # brass / bronze valves . Upgrading to K grade common copper pipe or 150 # brass / bronze body valves only extends the burst point to approx 2000 psi during 20 f temps in a static water system . The 3000 # stainless ball valves are subject to much less internal surface area than a conventional globe or gate valve which reduces the internal forces during a hard freeze condition and are rated to a much higher static or dynamic working pressure regardless . Also the forgiving nature of pex has been discussed previously along with low volt. heat tracing on any out building or critical supply piping in house , which off course would be rendered temporarily ineffective until my diesel gen set kicked in lol. ;)

farmer steve

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
I was thinking that too earlier as I was painting it... that I should have put a hook or 2 on the vertical piece to hang chains on... Oh well... LOL!! I did leave the vertical tubing open at the top thinking I could stick an axe in there or something. I could also just hang the chains on there as well.

That's what happens I guess when you design as you build... This thing turned out quite a bit differently than I was thinking it would before I cut the first piece of steel.
This is my el cheapo. Only thing it has now is a d-ring welded on to hang chains. I hate wrapping and unwrapping chains around the lift arms.
View attachment 891799

Oldmaple

Oldmaple

Addicted to ArboristSite
17F/-8C up to 35F/2C and dry today. More painting after a trip to the transmission shop to drop off my van. Friends getting mad at me because I'm not in line to get the vaccine. Not doing my part, no american unity, unloving.... Guess I'll need to find someone else to go fishing with. Maybe the dog will go with me. Make it a good one everybody.
1614253127279.png

U&A

Addicted to ArboristSite
Nice morning at the grow today. Hope yall have a good day. Temp here is between cold and colder. Thats all i got

f5c2ea654e59b71a94050e6a869dcbd0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stihlaficionado

stihlaficionado

God of ArboristSite
41/27

Good morn all.
Designated driver/listener for my MIL's hearing aid/auditory check-up today. Her hearing has definitely went downhill .
She has zero hearing in one ear & less than 50% in another ear, so any change to the 50% hearing is bad news.

Moving forward on getting the Urbana Ranch ready to sell. Talked to an HVAC company yesterday on replacing the A/C & gas furnace.
One more meeting on Friday with another company, then we'll make a decision. We're going to replace both units as normally there is some type of
reduction in cost as a package deal.

Gas furnace is 26 years old, the last 8 years of which barely run due to wood heat.
The A/C is 20 years old

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
good morning :drinkingcoffee: 68f/72f. they said hit 80/80+ yesterday in some areas. same chance of rains as yesterday. no rains then. high humidity, not complaining! breezes about 5 mph.

i am still a bit more than surprised that i never lost power during the Big Freeze! :) this morning on news there was an extended bit on it all... sources of energy for the power making machines, the grid, the centers, the users and demans. etc. i had heard several times that we, Texas, was within 4 mins of a total electrical shut down for the state! omg! they graphed it up and explained... then went on to say, "if that had happened we could have been without electricity for days... weeks... even maybe months! OMG! o_O because if we had a total shutdown, it would take electricity to get back on line! and there would have been none!! and could have take months to get it plumbed back in and to us for a jump start! scary to say the least! well, imo. now the Attorney General's office doing an official investigation of it all, ERCOT, state governor in a bit of an uproar... and 6 Board memebers of ERCOT resigned. does that mean those with the most knowledge of how things work or should work... are gone!?

'just a minute Texas... you have to wait! might could get to you by the 4th'
1614266225789.png

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
Well Good Afternoon guys... Late check-in today. Was busy outside in the 65°F sunshine!!!!

View attachment 891703 View attachment 891704 View attachment 891705

The Fruits of yesterday's piddling in the shop while the mud makes everything outside almost impossible without making an even bigger mess...

Made it from all re-used re-cycled re-purposed steel (the tubing I used is heavy wall, made up from cutoff ends that I welded back together) except for the pieces that the lift pins and top link are attached to. Last night I got the idea to put some extra grab hooks on it... so before I painted it I had to run into town this morning to get some grab hooks and then modify them and weld them on. Now I can skid 2 or 3 chains if needed now rather than just 1.

Just wire brushed it and then shot it earlier this afternoon with some Rattle Can Rustoleum Sunrise Red I think is the color...

I didn't think to take any pics yesterday while I was building it up... but it is a lot prettier now anyway.
nice fab job there OB! i like the welding, but think the paint makes it! ;)

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
Looks great Brian. :numberone: . I have one like that but not near as heavy duty. My buddy bought it for me for hauling his soybeans. I do need to add some extra hooks for carrying the extra chains.
it does! no doubt fit right up for CAT 1, CAT 2 or CAT 3... hmm, maybe too HD for CAT 1 :popcorn2:

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
I was thinking that too earlier as I was painting it... that I should have put a hook or 2 on the vertical piece to hang chains on... Oh well... LOL!! I did leave the vertical tubing open at the top thinking I could stick an axe in there or something. I could also just hang the chains on there as well.

That's what happens I guess when you design as you build... This thing turned out quite a bit differently than I was thinking it would before I cut the first piece of steel.
welding it up is one thing! - but gotta cut the steel first!! lol :laugh: [no chit, sherlock!] did u flame cut it or plasma?....

knockbill

knockbill

Addicted to ArboristSite
good morning :drinkingcoffee: 68f/72f. they said hit 80/80+ yesterday in some areas. same chance of rains as yesterday. no rains then. high humidity, not complaining! breezes about 5 mph.

i am still a bit more than surprised that i never lost power during the Big Freeze! :) this morning on news there was an extended bit on it all... sources of energy for the power making machines, the grid, the centers, the users and demans. etc. i had heard several times that we, Texas, was within 4 mins of a total electrical shut down for the state! omg! they graphed it up and explained... then went on to say, "if that had happened we could have been without electricity for days... weeks... even maybe months! OMG! o_O because if we had a total shutdown, it would take electricity to get back on line! and there would have been none!! and could have take months to get it plumbed back in and to us for a jump start! scary to say the least! well, imo. now the Attorney General's office doing an official investigation of it all, ERCOT, state governor in a bit of an uproar... and 6 Board memebers of ERCOT resigned. does that mean those with the most knowledge of how things work or should work... are gone!?

'just a minute Texas... you have to wait! might could get to you by the 4th'
View attachment 891817
Hi BL,,, Time to build a windmill,,, and a few solar panels on the ranch!!!!
Like Neil Young wrote 50 years ago after a different debacle,,,
"Tin soldiers and Nixons comin
We're finally on our own"