ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Traverse Creek Inc

Good Morning check in

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
I was just offering a common practice within freeze proofing in a Northern climate , normal domestic water system piping specs provide for a burst point of 1500 # for L grade common copper pipe and 125 # brass / bronze valves . Upgrading to K grade common copper pipe or 150 # brass / bronze body valves only extends the burst point to approx 2000 psi during 20 f temps in a static water system . The 3000 # stainless ball valves are subject to much less internal surface area than a conventional globe or gate valve which reduces the internal forces during a hard freeze condition and are rated to a much higher static or dynamic working pressure regardless . Also the forgiving nature of pex has been discussed previously along with low volt. heat tracing on any out building or critical supply piping in house , which off course would be rendered temporarily ineffective until my diesel gen set kicked in lol.

j/k'ing! B ... smoking, camping, wrench twisting, etc! that and a cold :givebeer:[MT] :numberone:

:cool:

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
Good morning. 43*/clear/48* later. Happy National Chili day. Gonna continue the splitting frenzy and try and get things cleaned up in the wood yard today. Lost a lot of snow yesterday with the near 60* temps.:happybanana: Have a super day all. FS.
i think homemade is about the best! i like extra chili pepper, too. some in a tin not bad either... i guess like most things of controversy... issue of with or without beans will continue on...

1614268453653.png 1614268469878.png

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
Broken: :drinkingcoffee: Morning folks ! 4 f heading to 27 f and partly cloudy today . I am listening to Johnny Cash this morning while heating the garage / workshop with the free oak and ash . I have two weedeaters to tear down and service today for a buddy , think Miller Time will be productive !

two! omg... :) i am working on one... car key. a tear down and service, too. well, time for a new one. old OE has gone many years. i hear new ones often don't make 6 months... oh well, i miss the horn beeping on lock up! lol... glad i had the right screwdriver. very small phillips. and a worn top wouldn't do it. had to have a good fit to head. screw recessed! as the utube vid guy said... screw set with locktite blue... hope my time will be productive... :cool:
P1010047.JPG
P1010048.JPG P1010002.JPG P1010003.JPG

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
Nice morning at the grow today. Hope yall have a good day. Temp here is between cold and colder. Thats all i got

f5c2ea654e59b71a94050e6a869dcbd0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
looks cold, but the sky sure has a pleasant warm appeal to it! well, imo...

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
Hi BL,,, Time to build a windmill,,, and a few solar panels on the ranch!!!!
Like Neil Young wrote 50 years ago after a different debacle,,,
"Tin soldiers and Nixons comin
We're finally on our own"
you may be right kb! - i think i could get along without! if i remember my history correctly... seems mankind did just that for tens of thousands of years! ;)

funny thing though, now that i think about it... all this modern luxury and convenience... and as a species seems we still cannot get along! ~

:wtf:

djones

djones

Addicted to ArboristSite
Good afternoon all, 30° at chores time and sunny, heading up to low 40's for today. Animals are fed and watered, bipeds fed and coffee is done. Not a very productive morning, just finished watching Destination Tokyo with Cary Grant. Love those old movies. It's probably about time to watch the Marx brothers again, maybe a Day at the Races. A Night at the Opera was the last one we watched. I've got some items to install in the green house to automate the ventilation system, temp regulated fan switch and window opener. Wifey sometimes forgets the windows when it's warm out or when she's out playing golf or we're out fishing. Even now the temp reaches up to 80° or 90° on a sunny day. If this warm up continues for any length of time, I just might see my milling table again and the log that's on it. Play safe out there.

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
so other day, group social media's up for a car guy GTG. just bit NW of me. no, din't get the message... lol so then they hightail it over to one of the freeway feeders... and one yellow 'Stang... is showing off! posting... that run was over 100 mph! :havingarest: then caught on vid... at over 100 mph... then... it plows into rear of car getting onto or onto feeder! BAM! drives hit car into crowd... 2 brothers die! and another dies bit later from injuries! Not Good! 3 dead at the GTG! ~

speaking of speed... last nite on national news... bit about airline pilot sees round shape fly over him at... at.... 37,000! FL37. a ufo? Control sees nothing on radar. a missile? aliens?.... life from Mars? with a hey! :wtf: issue? scary to say the least, well... imo!

but to more basic, mundane considerations... had many pie tins after eating a pie... don't think i ever had one quite this clean, though... no, not licked! just real tasty!
P1010046.JPG
down here it's a popular pie. :yes: had to run errand yesterday. passed by an area popular BBQ joint... and they had an inviting message on parking lot marquee sign...
zzzzxpp.jpg
$4.95/slice... $26.95 for whole pie!

hmm, wondering... how can a restaurant make 'homemade'?... lol.

Backyard Lumberjack

Backyard Lumberjack

"No wood, No fire!"
Good afternoon all, 30° at chores time and sunny, heading up to low 40's for today. Animals are fed and watered, bipeds fed and coffee is done. Not a very productive morning, just finished watching Destination Tokyo with Cary Grant. Love those old movies. It's probably about time to watch the Marx brothers again, maybe a Day at the Races. A Night at the Opera was the last one we watched. I've got some items to install in the green house to automate the ventilation system, temp regulated fan switch and window opener. Wifey sometimes forgets the windows when it's warm out or when she's out playing golf or we're out fishing. Even now the temp reaches up to 80° or 90° on a sunny day. If this warm up continues for any length of time, I just might see my milling table again and the log that's on it. Play safe out there.
saw it listed on the TCM movie channel other nite. it's a good one! i like any... thing.... submarine! watched the USS Bowfin docu last night and many times. 'dive! - dive!...dive!' in 45 seconds! was the drill... only this last viewing did i learn the Bowfin diesel submarine is part of the historic Memorial preservations at Pearl Harbor! HI. i should have known that... :dumb:

1614273606309.png

the USS Cavalla is here in Houston area bit S of downtown. awesome to tour, be in it...
be inside a real WWII diesel sub. it was in harbor also, when japs signed Peace Treaty! ~
tube doors, engines, batteries, rear tube doors, sleeping racks, cap't quarters and omg... the kitchen and crew dining :)
1614274547853.png

southpaw

southpaw

I react 2 B Venom
killing time is ok, sometimes... but killing time don't kill no day's Agenda items... lol :laugh:

- KP
- P O
- gas station
- test car key
- etc.

nope, i need to hit the road, got a pecan pie to deliver...
View attachment 891849
'priceless!' :numberone:

have a nice day!

'over n out!'
Backyard is that a mouse in the shadows of that pie tin ??

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
Good afternoon everyone.
Sunny day here for the most part :havingarest:.
We've lost a lot of snow over the last few days, my trailers only have a few inches on them now, and there is some grass showing in the front where I have it all plowed off. I'm gonna have to cover those "potholes" with some of the snow from in the piles here lol.
38 out now, with a high of 37:laughing:, says it on my phone so it has to be right.
Yesterday it was like 46 here, wasn't here and I didn't pay close attention, lots of running around lately. Will be smoking busy in no time at all.
Have a great day.

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
Howdy Brett. Thanks buddy. Yeah there's a few things I'm going to do to keep the pipes from freezing again. Our pipes aren't prepped for the kind of temps we had. Also I've been ready your posts on Covid. I think your spot on my friend. I think most of it is about control. Seeing just how far they can push the folks. Also how many freedoms and liberties the people are willing to give up. Take care Brett stay safe and healthy. :givebeer:
Yep, it's a wild world out there, and people have no idea what's going on or how fast it's coming on us.
Very sad.
I may need to move to Texas :happy:, gonna need to find a nice cool spot, know of any.
Maybe I could just camp out at your place and take out hogs for you :rock2:.

17F/-8C up to 35F/2C and dry today. More painting after a trip to the transmission shop to drop off my van. Friends getting mad at me because I'm not in line to get the vaccine. Not doing my part, no american unity, unloving.... Guess I'll need to find someone else to go fishing with. Maybe the dog will go with me. Make it a good one everybody.
View attachment 891801
I'll go fishing with you :).
Funny how if you don't get a vac others are worried about you spreading it to them after they got the vac :oops:.
Used to deal with that a lot with our kids, interesting the lack of trust in what they put their hope in; I know where I put my hope, and I live accordingly :).
Have a great day and enjoy the sunshine today.

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
I want to make myself one of those things for the 3 point hitch with a trailer hitch receiver so I can just back up to a trailer and move it around easier. Up until now I've always just kept a ball installed on the regular drawbar to pull my chevrolet wood trailer, and then I just use a straight flat drawbar in the 3PH for skidding logs. Just want to try it to see how it works out for me. I also figure if I can lift up the tongue when unloading the trailer from the rear, it might make it a little bit easier too (gotta make sure though that there isn't too much weight on the back of the trailer so that the front lifts.)

I've got a big piece of tubing to make the piece that goes between the lift arms, I just need some 3/8x3 flat to make the "A" frame.
That's a nice project. I have all the parts downstairs except extra hooks, but I can buy a few of those if needed.
Yours turned out real nice :numberone:.

Broken

Broken

The Great White North...Eh !
I was just offering a common practice within freeze proofing in a Northern climate , normal domestic water system piping specs provide for a burst point of 1500 # for L grade common copper pipe and 125 # brass / bronze valves . Upgrading to K grade common copper pipe or 150 # brass / bronze body valves only extends the burst point to approx 2000 psi during 20 f temps in a static water system . The 3000 # stainless ball valves are subject to much less internal surface area than a conventional globe or gate valve which reduces the internal forces during a hard freeze condition and are rated to a much higher static or dynamic working pressure regardless . Also the forgiving nature of pex has been discussed previously along with low volt. heat tracing on any out building or critical supply piping in house , which off course would be rendered temporarily ineffective until my diesel gen set kicked in lol.

j/k'ing! B ... smoking, camping, wrench twisting, etc! that and a cold :givebeer:[MT] :numberone:

:cool:
Just a quick footnote , for future reference when cold weather is expected and freeze issues become an issue , always allow a small flow from the longest run of hot water piping , a trickle is all that is required . This will usually also protect the cold water system since it will ensure adequate flow through the cold make up water feed to the hot water tank to the hot water runs also , even during a overnite power outage . ;)

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
hi chipper! always something isn't it!?... even with a shopping list other day at grocery... uh-huh...
:yes:
we had forgot something!

the QB said...'you know... forgot something!....' what? '.... the Country style gravy...!'

always something. at least we din't forget the
:givebeer:

right! you might think... but actually there is a Polish grocery and a Polish Catholic church... I think the 11 am Mass is in polish

as a kid skied in that crud many times. takes a spl technique. ez to catch an edge! learn that stuff and Colorado powder is a breeze!

i don't ski in rain!! been there done that... i dont ski in rain!

but some folks like it real wet...
View attachment 891453
That looks fun, just lean back and enjoy the ride, then wham when you hit the opposite side and launch out :surprised3:.
Fun watching people who've never been on the water in snow skis too :popcorn2:.

out in the snow?....
:popcorn2:
For sure, everyone's doing it :laughing:.
:laughing:
hooray!
:cheers:
i can maybe make... and wont even have to mash up the bananas for the recipe....

well, you get the idea...
View attachment 891455
Bummer, will they recover.