Good news about the EAB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes that is good news, problem is I believe enough will survive to keep on killing the ash.
A hundred million trees only touches on thr tip of what they have killed. Bet that many have been killed in Michigan alone.
I know I lost over 100 + on my property alone.

:D Al

We've been this cold multiple times since EAB was first detected in 2002. Granted we have never reached -50*F. New EAB larvae were found in my woodlot this year. Prior to this I have seen no new signs of EAB for 5~6 years during which our temps have come close to current temps 7 times. It may slow them down, but they are voracious. They will survive and reestablish themselves based on what the Ash population will support :(

Sounds like you guys need to clear cut all the ash at once to get rid of the Eab, does it transfer to other species of hardwoods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you guys need to clear cut all the ash at once to get rid of the Eab, does it transfer to other species of hardwoods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, strictly ash. The State of Michigan tried clear cutting around EAB detections early on to establish "firebreaks". It was a massive effort in terms of manpower and dollars. They found there was no way they could keep up. They tried to establish choke points at the Mackinac Bridge to the north and the southern border (the rest of the State's lower peninsula, where EAB first was introduced, has Great Lakes surrounding it) in hopes the EAB would exhaust its food supply and die off. That plan failed as well.

We have confirmed EAB in Minnesota down by the Minneapolis/St. Paul area but the state likely won't ever have a problem north much farther. The reports I've read say the temps need to be -20 for a few nights to kill off the larva. I've seen both the beetle and the larva around here but it never gets to epidemic status due to us having a much colder climate in the winter months

I have hundreds of knee high Ash seedlings growing in my woods. Hopeing by the time that start getting some size the EAB will have ate it's self out of trees,

In the mean time I am picking up acorns and spaceing them thru out of the woods.

:D Al

I wish it would be true, but I'm skeptical. We had a long cold snap last winter and by spring, three more of my large ash trees had over 60% crown dieback, much more than the previous season...

My neighbors are taking them down left and right too. It's really sad, they are such great trees and abundant, produced useful lumber and wood, not to mention my favorite firewood. Enjoy it while it lasts, I suppose...

Back