Good Rain Gear?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Understand that the uninsulated(unlined) coats are very light,dry extremely quick without the cotton backing,but the downside is they rip easier too,so kinda depends on how you intend to work and how thick your underbrush is.
If your determined to get the unlined,a cheaper alternative might be the Guy Cottons or Cofish,the latter I believe used to be the sole importers of grundens for yrs,before they started making there own knockoffs.

ak4195

Understand that the uninsulated(unlined) coats are very light,dry extremely quick without the cotton backing,but the downside is they rip easier too,so kinda depends on how you intend to work and how thick your underbrush is.
If your determined to get the unlined,a cheaper alternative might be the Guy Cottons or Cofish,the latter I believe used to be the sole importers of grundens for yrs,before they started making there own knockoffs.

ak4195

Good advice,

If it's warm and raining I don't need one. It's the cold rain that I'm worried about. I thought I could get a thin outer shell and save money, but If the lined ones are more rugged I should probabaly go with that. It never fails when doing firewood I'm getting caught on something.

:cheers:

Grundens are to stiff and heavy. A little less so with Helly Hansen but the same problem. Hot too.

Take the time to check these out.
Tingley The Iron Eagle* Raingear
This is one tough suit. It’s an exterior coated polyurethane on nylon, very abrasion and puncture resistant and yet very lightweight and 100% waterproof. Ideal for working in a forest environment with heavy brush, sticks and snags. Note: Because of the materials unique construction, the Iron Eagle* is a little nosier than most raingear. More Iron Eagle* features and benefits: • Generously cut for maximum freedom of movement. • 5.5 oz. material weight with 2mil exterior coating for a total of 10 mil thick. “Thermo-O-Rad” sealed seams that are not going to tear out and can be washed over and over again without coming apart. • Unique snap lock suspender buckles with heavy duty crossover straps. • Mildew resistant. • Storm fly front that seals out wind and rain. Snaps are guaranteed not to fail. • Sizes: SM-XXL. • Available Yellow or Green. Yellow Bibs w/snap fly. Green Bibs w/no fly.

You can find a gov surplus military goretex jacket for cheap. They are really durable. I cut the useless liner out of mine and made it lighter. Pit zips for ventilation. Cheap, durable, breathable, waterproof. Cuffs are large enough to put jacket on without removing gloves.

I’m in the PNW, Vancouver Island and I just came across this rain gear thread 12 years after the last post. You’d think a ‘silver bullet’ solution or product would exist by now. My friend who is both a climber and production faller (primarily old growth) is keen on the best gear in all aspects of his life: Surfing, Skiing, Falling etc. I asked him what fallers do on those days when the rain is so dense you can swim through the air. He said “curl up into a ball and cry”. There is no escape. No gear can stop the rain while breathing out a gallon of sweat or withstand the bush while fitting like a track suit. These guys pick gear that can do 1 or 2 of these things well and compensate for the difference with sheer grit and balls.

Well, if it’s above 55 or so I just plan on getting wet. I put on a Tingley jacket when it gets cooler... Mostly because I got it for free and it’s high vis. The hood comes off, that’s what the full brim hard hat’s for. When it’s really cold... Well, I dressed for it and put the jacket on over it.

Other than that, my Grundens are still stiff, uncomfortably hot when it’s warm and very dry. I haven’t used Helly Hansen stuff, seems to work for plenty of offshore guys. Frogtoggs and the gor-tex stuff is still destroyed by brush, even 12 years on.

That's how I do too, if it's warm enough I'll just get wet and change to dry clothes before heading home.
When it's colder I use proper rain gear, breathable materials are fine for fishing and hunting.

If it’s warm I don’t wear rain gear. If it colder and raining or heavy wet snow I like my carhart shorliner gear. I also have a carhart jacket I think it’s called rugged cut that I spray with tent sealer and also works good and seems tough

Has anyone made themselves a tin cloth hickory shirt???
Has anyone made own tin clothing? My best friend is a bike fiend and made his own tin wax. If you do up broken in pants I have read it works well. More flexibility than stiff new super spendy stuff.

A lot of the fallers here in bc west coast..we use the helly Hansen rain gear..simple non insulated coat which weighs nothing and dries fast..and bibbed pants..some guys use the drawstring pants..cheap and they hold up pretty good for tromping around the shalal.

This post is quite old, but I have a couple ideas that could possibly benefit someone looking for help with the rain/sleet/snow. I picked up an old Bemidji wool flannel in a thrift store, which I think some people would label as a 'shirt jac' or something like that. And, since I was in the Boy Scouts back in the day I remembered that the old timers would wear an all red wool kinda jacket, so I got one of those in a couple of sizes bigger than I needed for layering. Anyways, I went hunting in the Upper Peninsula here in Michigan and no lie, it rained every day non stop for a week. Well, sometimes the rain turned into a sleet/wet snow deal. I am talking about October of 2018 in Baraga county if anyone is from there, they will testify. It wasn't the first or last time that part of the world gets a week straight of rain and/or snow. I wore that Boy Scout wool every day and it shed the water like a duck, it never even got heavy. I was grouse hunting too, going through thick stuff on purpose and it didn't even get close to tearing. Everything else I was drying in the sauna but the wool coat. The moral of the story is that very fine neatly woven wool does an excellent job being durable and shedding water. The Bemidji wool is a looser weave, and so it is even more breathable, but it is close enough to waterproof too, I am pretty sure it was made in the 80s or 70s based on the logo. I haven't figured out a good solution for pants yet if its wet snow, I just try to wear the best fleece long johns I can find so that I don't shake too much to make good cuts.

Looking at old photos of loggers they all wore wool pants/shirts/jackets/socks/hats down here in florida during hunting season its not uncommon the have 38 degree days with heavy rain and most wear leather boots with wool socks for their feet. The younger generation tends to go for gore tex uppers and lowers or coveralls but the older folks use wool pants and shirts/sweaters the finer woven the better and when asked how old the clothing is they almost all say older than you are LOL. Now the important part is after the hunt those older guys are comfortable and warm so they start having lunch or dinner and chat but everyone else is clamoring to get into dry clothing. Its funny because to older I get the more I find I like wool and the way its comfortable even in warmer temps.

Latest posts

Back