Good saw for Dad's present?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanwj

Reaction score
I am getting my dad a chain saw for Christmas because he just bought 35 acres of wooded property on which he hopes to put a small cabin. Have read much about saws and want to get him a Stihl or Husky to use for making a small clearing (felling 10 or so small trees) and annual firewood work. I am thinking the 340, 345, 350, 55 or 55 Rancher or the 025 or MS 290. Don't have much over $300 to spend but have had bad experiences with Poulan and he isn't patient enogh for a finnicky saw. Would like some guidance from you guys with experience.

All of these are decent homeowner saws. For light to medium work, the 350, 345, and 025 are all good picks. For larger jobs the 029 and the 55 are good but heavier. Be sure to find a local dealer that you like and will help you when you need it. Good customer service is really important for anyone using a chain saw. Also, be sure to get a carry case for the saw.

Happy Holidays!

You have picked a good lot of saws to choose from!Go to the local dealers and see if one of them stands out from the other dealers.I would go with the smaller stihls,but I don't have much experence with the smaller huskys.I think any of them will give your dad good service and be a great gift.:D Dan

i like huskys myself and would pick the 55 rancher - stihl models are good also - see your dealers and choose the one that knows their saws the best and gives you the best service - and of course price!

Please do not buy the Sithl 029. It is by far the heaviest of those saws and if you value your father walking upright you will not do that to him. The 55 is the best of the bunch in my opinion, I prefer it over the Rancher because it can turn the .325 faster than the 3/8 chain and it will actually cut faster, and has a hair more horsepower. Also it has an adjustable oiler and compression release, good for older users. Very dependable and very durable.

Oh yeah, to be fair, In my opinion the only Stihl worth considering in this group is the 025. It is lightweight and if you get the 025C is has the toolless chain adjuster

I would highly recommend the Stihl 026 but that would bust the budget. The Husky Rancher 55 is an excellent alternative and is kindler/gentler on the wallet.

I would also take a look at the Makita DCS401 made by Dolmar Sachs. It's one of my all around favorites but might be a tad small for your situation.

Stihl is my favorite brand but I don't like their homeowner saws (odd numbers). They are underfeatured and overpriced. I would never buy another one.

Bottom line, I'd say that Husky 55 is probably your "sweet spot".

Let me know if you ever need adobted. That's a generous B-day gift!!!!

My Dad has moved to a new lot w/Hickory, White Oak and NutAll Oak. He doesn't burn wood so I have been helping him w/his harvest. He's told me his PullOn has crapped out on him... well dad/ umm..duh. I've bid on a Homelite XL "Big Red". I think this saw is about 57 -60cc. I'm afraid it's going to be too heavy for him. The add says model # 10045-C., does this mean anything to anybody. Would like to get Dad a Saw.

ryanwj
If you deside that you want a 025 drop me a line i have a supper clean real low hour saw 4 sale or a 394 or a 046w

Assuming that your Dad is retired and doesn't want to be lugging a saw across 35 acres, the 025 would be a great choice for the ocassional user saw. Great power to weight ratio with a 16" bar.

Happy Sawin'
Josh

Ryan: the Husky 55...its a good enough saw, but there are better units out there with even better anti-vibe. 350 Husky is OK, but built with a plastic crankcase. Space-age plastics can do a lot of things, including make chain saws, but something "feels" wrong about it. Can you move up $50 to the 351? AS well, check out the local John Deere dealer...those green chain saws are selling cheap, and are made by EMAK (also sold here as EFCO)...a good name.

Wolfie: those Homelite SXL's are an excellent nostalgia saw, and will certainly work for you, but as a "daily driver" I'm not sure...

Kinda heavy, slow, and low-powered, and a lot more vibes, compared to more modern units. I have to admit, though, they are kinda like '49 merc's and '55 chevy's...they do look good.

I'm also in that older dad catagory, light is good. When I can I use an 025, if the stuff is too big I'll step up to a sachs/dolmar also light but powerful. Just remember our backs are not as strong as they used to be.

How about a Solo? They are a German saw of high quality. I would get the Baileys saw which is a Solo. Here is the link look under chain saws.

http://www.baileys-online.com/store/USA.htm

Or in my opinion get the Husky 55 if you want a more common brand. Its a great saw.

WRM,
I have a Pioneer that is almost exactly like the Homelite SXL it weighs about 17lbs. That is with 16" bar. I dont have an SXL but I imagine it has good power for its age like my Pioneer. If its older saws your looking for try out a Pioneer. I would look for a P41 or P42 tough saws and cut very nice. Sometimes they pop up on Ebay, good ones going from $75-100.

i just bought a husky 257 for my dad last week. he is happy as a pig in mud with it. he said it was the best saw he has ever owned. (before that he had a super 2, a 330 homelite, and a craftsman and a stihl 032)

Back