good trees for wet soil & clay

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clueless

Reaction score
I have a low area in my backyard. i am looking for trees that would grow in this area. the soil has alot of clay in it. in the spring, water sits in this area as the snow melts. does anyone have any suggestions? i live in iowa.
i would like to have some sort of decorative tree.
thanks

I dont know of much that grows real well other than a cottonwood, but they grow absolutely anywhere. Cat tails also will grow in these areas. They would give it a "wild" sort of look. Anything that is grown in a wet area grows fast and is weak stucturely. I will keep checking and let you know.
Darin

I really like Larch/Tamarack trees. It is a boreal species, but the European variety may do really well where you are. It does not mind the occasional wet foot, and grows with a reliable degree of strength.

clueless

We moved from Des Moines a year ago I had a similar situation in my back yard. I planted a river birch which grew as tall as the 2 story house in 4 years, AND soaked up all the extra water in that area in the yard.

Here's some statistics for you on water uptake for boreal species. A typical birch or poplar tree will take up and transpire about 50 gallons of water per day, water being freely available but no drowning. A mature spruce will pass 90 gallons per day into the air. That is why the water levels in swamps recently logged seem to rise post harvest. Pretty suprising volumes.

Back