Got a new tool- Wyeth-Scott More Power Puller - review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin in Ohio

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
First off I'm not affiliated with this company or getting anything from them for doing this. I just thought others would benefit and maybe save someone from getting hurt or damaging something by knowing about them.

About a month ago I helped an old fiend take down some trees around his house and decided to cable a lot of them down to be safe. House and power lines came into play. we had out old bulky puller and normal come alongs and he brought one of these out. After using it I was really impressed and figured they didn't make them anymore. Someone on a forum said they were still being made and I found them. Made right here in Ohio up in the Northern part of the state. It is a the Wyeth-Scott Co. and it's called the more power puller. There is a Chinese knock off around so watch what you are looking at. I ended up ordering direct from the company and here is a link. I got the 3 ton version

https://www.wyeth-scott.com/orders.asp

They are pricey but I have never minded to pay for what I consider a lifetime tool. The damge from using something under rated looks small afterward.

I ended up getting 2 of them as you never know when a company like this will go out of business when enough people think the "harbor freight" version is good enough. That is how much I was impressed with it. I got one handle extension(I'd recommend) and a extra slip pulley. I thought they weren't included and I wanted one. Now I have 3 as they came with the puller, my mistake. Here are some pics.

MVC-001S_26.JPG

I put the saw next to it to give you some scale. It's a lot beefier than the normal puller.

MVC-002S_25.JPG

3 ton version has 20 ft of cable and you can also get poly cable if you want. The housing is drilled where the shaft comes through so you can grease it with a grease gun with a needle greaser. Nice touch for easy maintenance.

MVC-003S_18.JPG

safety hooks are optional but I got them as they are handy sometimes and save some step to prevent hooks and chains from coming off when slacked.

MVC-005S_12.JPG
The slip hook pulley is a one piece cast item. VERY strong piece as well. I ordered the extra without safety clasp. Guess I have both know!

MVC-012S.JPG

Here is the old one in action. we used this on a lot of trees and that cable was pulled like a guitar string. Amazing how big of a hinge a tree would have and it would pull it right over.

MVC-004S_10.JPG

This pic gives you an idea as it has pulled this tree to this point and it still is not over centered to fall. I did cut a wedge hinge her to let it roll off to onside as he had a narrow slot with a tree on one side he didn't want damaged.

MVC-006S_5.JPG

Every tree went right where he wanted so mission accomplished.

When I ordered them They shipped them out and I had it 3 days later. They are just a super nice tool to have and with a few chains and some cable you can safely take down some trees that are not worth the risk of "hoping" it will go as planned.

If the moderators want to remove or move this that is fine but I thought others might benefit knowing about these.

I've got one new one just like yours and a much older one I found in my grandpas barn. I never leave home in the winter without one in the back of my truck. Works great for pulling a stuck ford back onto the road lol.

Cool. I'm actually in the market for one of these at the shop. I'm tired of breaking cheap ones.

Newark is just east of Columbus off 70. About halfway between Columbus and Zanesville.

Nice write up...looks like a stout piece.

I had one very similar but made out of aluminium that I broke because I let the handle pinch bolt get loose and it wollared-out and split.

I planned on welding and re-machining it but this thread could have talked me into getting a steel one.

Sounds like something I could use too. I've had those finger pinching pieces of crap from China before and after stripping the gears out they go in the scrap steel pile. Do you think a nylon strap would help for those big trees? I find that the nylon will stretch and act like a bungie cord and let you put a lot of extra tension that a cable or chain wouldn't. I work by myself most of the time. With cable and chain as soon as the tree comes a little the chain goes slack and if not enough hinge cut it could go back with the long nylon strap it will still keep tension on the tree. I use 50' long straps for lifting houses from work, they will not break.

Sounds like something I could use too. I've had those finger pinching pieces of crap from China before and after stripping the gears out they go in the scrap steel pile. Do you think a nylon strap would help for those big trees? I find that the nylon will stretch and act like a bungie cord and let you put a lot of extra tension that a cable or chain wouldn't. I work by myself most of the time. With cable and chain as soon as the tree comes a little the chain goes slack and if not enough hinge cut it could go back with the long nylon strap it will still keep tension on the tree. I use 50' long straps for lifting houses from work, they will not break.

I have never worked with the poly stuff but I know tree service companies use it all the time. My thing is I do not use it every day so for the longevity aspect I stick with steel cable. Tree professionals replace poly stuff after so much time even it it doesn't look bad from what I hear. Poly definitely would be easy to work with but as I said, it is not something I trust without having worked with or know personally someone who has. Abrasion works on the poly stuff much faster than steel. Sunlight and age normally doesn't effect steel either. Maybe others will chime in on this. I doubt whether the product they use stretches very much but I could be wrong.

I made the mistake of buying a manual winch made in China for a project too. FIRST time I used it, it stripped the stamped steel teeth off and it was done. You do get what you pay for and it's simply just not worth it to me anymore. I have to see a LOT of positive comments about a cheap version before I EVER even consider it. Very rare that you do see that with those knockoffs.

Kevin, I was talking about using straps like in this link for length. The ones we use are 50' long. We have lighter ones that are 24' long and are rated for 30,000lbs. We also use them for pulling stuck big rigs out, hook them up and get a little run and it boomerangs the stuck rig out.
http://www.ratchetstraps.com/2-ply

I recently bought the 3 ton model with the synthetic rope. i noticed no stretch in it at all. pulled over some cottonwood trees last week. i used about 25 feet of the supplied rope and 150' of samson stable-braid 1/2" rope. had to pull a good back leaning stem about 10 feet before it fell. excellent tool addition for the tree service i own.

I definitely recommend this tool and give it a 5 star rating

Good thing I drive a Chevy.
you right,, there frames rust in half,, right behind the cab,, and break thru and drop you on the road,, they also rust,, right below the drivers feet on the frame,, and break there also.. yup!! buy them gov motors piles of junk....you know,,the ones that took OVOMITS bailout. troll.. also,, a good cable winch like this, is hard to beat.. ive also used a chain binder come along with the same results,,tho a bit heavier...

Back