Got a thumbs up today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My last truck purchase, the salesman kept going on about all the great technology. I had just come from helping at my buddy's sawmill. Probably looked like that kid from Charlie Brown with the dust cloud over me. I simply asked "Do I look like I give a s##t about WiFi?

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I've noticed around here if you look like that the sales people tend to ignore you because they think you can't afford anything. I love to make them work for it when I'm dressed as you described, especially when they don't know me!

I dont really understand the plain Jane trucks setting on the sales lot for months. I guess some folks just feel the need for comfort and conviencies when truck shopping. My current truck is a 2003 f150, 5.4gas, 4x4. 120k miles.It had been setting on the dealer lot for over a year. It had one of those utility style camper shells on the back of it. The type that had ladder racks on top and built in tool boxes on the sides. It was priced to high so I made an offer for it without the campershell. They didnt want to take the camper off. I didnt want to pay asking price for a camper I didnt need. We haggled for a few minutes and I told him what I would pay and the camper didnt add any extra value for me and I had cash now. You know the game, 14 doz trips back to talk to his manager and they finally agreed to my offer, and I got to keep the camper shell. Well while they where washing the truck for me, I was trying to figure a way to sell the camper shell and decided to just ask what what one of those utility shells sell for new. Saleman dragged out a price sheet and his eyes bugged out. Over $3000 new. Well the deal was already done, and I had paid cash. Took truck home, removed the camper shell and set inside my shed on a couple of barrels. Put a ad on CL and had a call before dark. I priced it at $1800, sold it for $1600 and they picked it up the next day. Made my unwanted cheap plain Jane truck a pretty good bargain. I can only guess the reason it sat on the lot so long was because nobody wanted/needed the camper shell.

As a truck driver, what I really see of Dodges is the Big Truck wanna be's with the exhaust coming up through the bed into vertical stacks :laughing: What a waste of a usable pick up bed, ooops, sorry forgot I was talkin about Dodges ;) From what I have seen, the bed pipes are generally about 85% Dodge, 10% Fords and 5% Chevys. I have a truck to USE, not look at, and compensate with.

Doug
Theres an old ,early '50's,studebaker P/U locally with dual vertical stacks just outside the bed.I don't know where they terminate under the truck though.That thing is so ugly it almost hurts your eyes!

I've noticed around here if you look like that the sales people tend to ignore you because they think you can't afford anything. I love to make them work for it when I'm dressed as you described, especially when they don't know me!
Same here. I've walked away from several salespeople because of attitude. I do make sure to say goodbye to them after I've finalized the sale with one of their co-workers. I've actually had to bring a few back to reality and let them know some of us actually USE our trucks for WORK!

I dont really understand the plain Jane trucks setting on the sales lot for months. I guess some folks just feel the need for comfort and conviencies when truck shopping. My current truck is a 2003 f150, 5.4gas, 4x4. 120k miles.It had been setting on the dealer lot for over a year. It had one of those utility style camper shells on the back of it. The type that had ladder racks on top and built in tool boxes on the sides. It was priced to high so I made an offer for it without the campershell. They didnt want to take the camper off. I didnt want to pay asking price for a camper I didnt need. We haggled for a few minutes and I told him what I would pay and the camper didnt add any extra value for me and I had cash now. You know the game, 14 doz trips back to talk to his manager and they finally agreed to my offer, and I got to keep the camper shell. Well while they where washing the truck for me, I was trying to figure a way to sell the camper shell and decided to just ask what what one of those utility shells sell for new. Saleman dragged out a price sheet and his eyes bugged out. Over $3000 new. Well the deal was already done, and I had paid cash. Took truck home, removed the camper shell and set inside my shed on a couple of barrels. Put a ad on CL and had a call before dark. I priced it at $1800, sold it for $1600 and they picked it up the next day. Made my unwanted cheap plain Jane truck a pretty good bargain. I can only guess the reason it sat on the lot so long was because nobody wanted/needed the camper shell.
If you can find a plain jane truck on a lot and thats what you want, consider yourself lucky.Dealers hate to stock plain janes.They can be found but they're few and far between.

If you can find a plain jane truck on a lot and thats what you want, consider yourself lucky.Dealers hate to stock plain janes.They can be found but they're few and far between.
Just left the dealer an hour ago,having had a recall complied with on the wife's car.At least 25 trucks on the lot.I looked at a few.The prices are staggering.The last one I looked at,a F150,loaded,$59,900.00 msrp.Didn't see anything under $42000.

Just left the dealer an hour ago,having had a recall complied with on the wife's car.At least 25 trucks on the lot.I looked at a few.The prices are staggering.The last one I looked at,a F150,loaded,$59,900.00 msrp.Didn't see anything under $42000.
$60K for a half ton truck...wow. The sticker on my new truck was $1,000 shy of my first house...there was a '17 Platinum dually on the lot for $77K!

20171031_170240.jpg
View attachment 614344

'89 GMC, 4-doors, dually, 4WD, dump bed 8' long and 8' wide.
Doors don't close well, backup lights don't work, heater fan barely blows, etc.

Now THIS is a work truck!! :numberone:

BTW, this pic is when I was replacing the starter in a parking lot.

And that starter probably cost $38.

I put an alternator on my 83 C30 last year, $27. The counter guy at Schucks rechecked cause he thought he looked up the wrong thing!

I don't think I can get much more plain than that truck. Its **** brown, Has cigarette windows, crank up main windows, rubber floor, AM radio, carbed small block, 4 speed. 12ft dump bed

I paid around 2k for it 4 years ago. It paid itself off within the first couple weeks.

When I go into a dealer truck shopping I feel like I must have some contagious disease when I tell them what kind of truck I want. It's almost impossible around me to find a stripped down regular cab truck anymore.

Yep. They are available but only special order, dealers don't stock them. Just for funsies I had one run up the basic 4x, stick, 6cyl. Way over 20K.

View attachment 614554

And that starter probably cost $38.

I put an alternator on my 83 C30 last year, $27. The counter guy at Schucks rechecked cause he thought he looked up the wrong thing!

I don't think I can get much more plain than that truck. Its **** brown, Has cigarette windows, crank up main windows, rubber floor, AM radio, carbed small block, 4 speed. 12ft dump bed

I paid around 2k for it 4 years ago. It paid itself off within the first couple weeks.
I might have one-up'd ya..my C30 was ordered without a radio or climate control! I bought it as a ambulance and swapped the body for a dump box..did have three options "J"code diesel , auto and a Detroit no-spin.

I'd rather pay like 3500$ for a decent truck with 100k or so on it from a private individual. We have salt here so the body doesn't last to long and I like to "throw" stuff in the bed. I have a back rack to protect the window and if it hits the paint o well it's a truck. Mine looks better dirty when it's all cleaned up you see all the scratches and rust spots. Trucks are for hauling and working. The wife gets the nicer suv.

12' dump bed. Man, I'd trade in a heartbeat for that, although I do like my 4 doors. Can fit the whole gang in there. Illegally, of course.

I pull a dump trailer behind my truck. I aint never thrown more than an armload or two in the back of my truck. Of course I dont have to go far to find wood, and I usually only pickup one tree at a time. To much for a pickup load, but a good load on the trailer. Also, I am lazy, load the truck by hand, unload by hand, load the trailer by hand and hit a button to dump. No brainer to use a dump trailer.

Theres an old ,early '50's,studebaker P/U locally with dual vertical stacks just outside the bed.I don't know where they terminate under the truck though.That thing is so ugly it almost hurts your eyes!
Probably worth a fortune. I pulled into the gas pumps a few years ago next to an older man. He had a '57 Vette that looked like it just rolled off the showroom floor. He popped the trunk and started dragging his gas cans out to fill them. I think everybody at the station about had a heart attack! I just smiled and started talking to him. Probably ended up shooting the breeze for an hour.

I like seeing fords doing work. He was probably a ford guy. Dodge guys just put those tow mirrors out and drive along with no trailer.

Not true. My Dodge works around my place and works hard. No tow mirrors here. If I'm driving it the bed is loaded. I also take it off-road to the desert. I'm amazed at how well it does crawling around the rocks in 4 low.

Here's a picture of how I come home with firewood:

IMG_1394_zps8f0f8338.jpg

I grew up in the Midwest and spent time on the east coast. When I moved to a California I was amazed at the condition of older vehicles here. My truck has no rust and only has damage from the previous owner who abused it. I keep it maintained and it treats me right. I have a 5 speed which is very hard to find. I passed up better trucks with automatics for two years before I found it.

I grew up in the Midwest and spent time on the east coast. When I moved to a California I was amazed at the condition of older vehicles here. My truck has no rust and only has damage from the previous owner who abused it. I keep it maintained and it treats me right. I have a 5 speed which is very hard to find. I passed up better trucks with automatics for two years before I found it.

Sounds like an awesome truck. I'd love a manual for my next truck but they are hard to find. I had an 89 f250 with the big block and a 5 speed and that thing was awesome.

Latest posts

Back