ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Got Snow?

OM617YOTA

OM617YOTA

ArboristSite Guru
We have the perfect storm brewing to get freezing rain Thursday night with 20mph winds, then more freezing rain Friday. Normally that would make me stay the hell home with a good book and the wood stove, but my girlfriend has a doc appointment Friday morning for some pretty serious stuff. I'll absolutely be getting her to that appointment, but I'm not looking forward to the drive.

I'd trade any of you for a foot of snow.

eric_271

eric_271

ArboristSite King
Snow on the ground here in Kansas for past week and calling for 11 inches tomorrow. I sold a tractor and was planning on taking it to Houston this weekend until I watched a video of Fort Worth. Huge and deadly pileups. Never seen anything that bad. Temps below 0 coming as well. I may camp by my wood stove a few extra days. Lol

Husky Man

Husky Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
We have the perfect storm brewing to get freezing rain Thursday night with 20mph winds, then more freezing rain Friday. Normally that would make me stay the hell home with a good book and the wood stove, but my girlfriend has a doc appointment Friday morning for some pretty serious stuff. I'll absolutely be getting her to that appointment, but I'm not looking forward to the drive.

I'd trade any of you for a foot of snow.
I ain’t touchin that trade, I HATE Ice, and freezing rain produces some of the WORST Ice for driving.

We are supposed to get 12-18” up here on Mt Hood, from what the Wife says, we’re not there yet, but it’s still coming down.

I’m working down in Medford, hoping to be off by Noon or 1:00, then home until Monday, should be taking my Wife to the Dr, before we head back to Medford.

The Wife is a Hair Stylist, and has her own Salon in Welches, things have been slow for her, so she has only been opening every other week, and coming with me, when I work out of town on her off weeks. She decided that it is better to alternate weeks and fill the days she works rather than having short days every day. Most of her clients are regulars, and will work with her scheduling like that, so she doesn’t lose any work when she is closed

Doug

Husky Man

Husky Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yeah,
We got Snow,
07B4AED9-6338-463A-B9ED-7260F8168113.jpeg F9E3AD8B-B4F1-4961-8518-1AAB9FBD3B82.jpeg 2DC85A65-CD3B-4D62-9484-502A22358EFC.jpeg 35E222E1-F29A-4E9E-873A-C1C24CC1E244.jpeg 6EEBD866-D880-45E6-B567-1CED63A13488.jpeg

It started early Thursday morning and has been on and off since. We have probably gotten 30” , which is more than we usually get this low on the mountain.

12-18”, is normally a lot for us, and it rarely lasts more than 2-3 days. We have been lucky with the power though, only a couple brief outages, some lower areas west of us got that Dayumed freezing rain, which not only SUX to drive in, but it also plays Hell with the trees, which in turn, tears up power lines. Getting home from Medford last night I drove through several areas with trees in the roads, and downed power lines. Our county had over 92,000 without power, and over 200,000 without power in the Greater Portland Metro area, with some areas expected to be without for up to 4 days

Doug

Attachments

• DC7042D6-E7D1-4F1C-8013-8735F381ED5E.jpeg
    DC7042D6-E7D1-4F1C-8013-8735F381ED5E.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 6
unclemoustache

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
You lived in Montana? Where abouts?

Billings. 1974 until I graduated HS in '89. Folks are still there in the same house. We usually get back there every year to do some hiking and visiting.

Looks like we have a couple inches on the ground now, hopefully more to come. 2 degrees at the moment. Enough for an enjoyable morning. I have some good gloves and those little chemical toe warmers. As long as my ears, fingers and toes are warm enough, I'm good to go. Looking forward to lots of shoveling today.

My airbnb had frozen pipes last night. I put a couple firewood pallets against the outside wall, some sleeping bags over those, and a painters tarp over all that and fastened it to the wall with some nails and lath. Put a little space heater down at the bottom. 2 hours later the pipes were flowing again. Yay!

But one of my normal rentals has the same problem, but only with the hot water. I may have to do a similar trick, but that house has vinyl siding, so I don't want to screw/nail anything to that. Temps aren't going to rise any for a few days, so I should do something. Any ideas?

djg james

djg james

ArboristSite Guru
Billings. 1974 until I graduated HS in '89. Folks are still there in the same house. We usually get back there every year to do some hiking and visiting.

Looks like we have a couple inches on the ground now, hopefully more to come. 2 degrees at the moment. Enough for an enjoyable morning. I have some good gloves and those little chemical toe warmers. As long as my ears, fingers and toes are warm enough, I'm good to go. Looking forward to lots of shoveling today.

My airbnb had frozen pipes last night. I put a couple firewood pallets against the outside wall, some sleeping bags over those, and a painters tarp over all that and fastened it to the wall with some nails and lath. Put a little space heater down at the bottom. 2 hours later the pipes were flowing again. Yay!

But one of my normal rentals has the same problem, but only with the hot water. I may have to do a similar trick, but that house has vinyl siding, so I don't want to screw/nail anything to that. Temps aren't going to rise any for a few days, so I should do something. Any ideas?
Yes I miss visiting MT. Every other year, my Dad and I would take a road trip. And I was lucky to backpack in Glacier 3 or 4 times. Wish I could still do that.
Good save on your water pipes. I had a break in my washer supply one year. When I built the house, I put the pipes in the wall. Got a cold spell like now and pop. What a mess. Woke up to the sound of water running. Luckily, the slight slope of the floor caused the water to stay in the mud room and then run down the stair well. Only tile got wet. I had an outdoor faucet break one time, too. Put shutoffs on the inside of the house on all three outdoor faucets. Turn them off now, every year before it gets cold.
With your latest problem, my first though is one of the electric pipe warmers. But I don't know your exact situation.

unclemoustache

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
Ah, Glacier is the best! Didn’t go there much, but the mountains there are amazing.
I hear those electrical pipe warmers tend to break down at the most inconvenient times. And my pipes are in the wall. I guess I could insulate them better.